• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Talcott Notch Literary Services

Montage

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sydneywakefield.com
Sadly...

Unfortunately, Rachel ultimately passed, however, I have to say she gave me THE MOST detailed, well-thought-out rejection I've ever received. I've revised the ms based on her feedback and another agent and they were spot on. I wish she'd felt differently, but she did exactly what so many of these posts (esp. the ones from gina) have said: took the time to let me know exactly why she was passing. I, for one, appreciate that greatly.

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
Talcott-notch

Last April I sent them a query via a friend who is rep'ed by them. They asked for the proposal. I sent it. A few months later they asked for another chapter and I sent it. But I havent heard back from them since. I sent her a letter in November and got no response.

Did I get dissed? Should I ask them again?

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
There's a long thread on them here. But to answer your question, a similar thing happened to me. Gina requested the full, and then I didn't hear anything for six months. Querying after it finally resulted in a form rejection.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I weighed in on Talcott Notch shortly after I joined up here in 2006 and I had received a request from Gina for my proposal.

Long story short, personal matters intruded and I decided not to write the book I had in mind after all. I have nothing bad to say about my experience with Talcott Notch though and I wish them much success in '08.

:)

privatepook

Yes, I'm totally into that..
Registered
Reaction score
I sent an e-query to Talcott two months ago and have yet to hear back. When is a good time to resubmit?

MarcellaJ

Registered
Reaction score
the waiting game

Privatepook, did you send your query to Rachel or Gina? As a client of Rachel's (and Talcott Notch) I receive a lot of attention. I'm just one client on her list, so I'm sure that has something to do with the timing! If you don't hear from her within a few weeks, I'm sure a resubmission would be fine.

I've also spoken with Gina many times since I signed with the agency. She always knows what's going on with my work and she spends time talking with me about the industry or answering any questions I have. She's very attentive and I'd say the same goes for her as well if you want to resubmit.

I'm not sure who you queried TrixieBelden, but I definitely think a status query would be okay. Are you emailing or sending snail mail? I would send an email status query.

I'm waiting on editors now, so I know the pain of holding your breath for a response and checking your email every 3 minutes! Oh wait, is that just me? It's been 5 minutes...I have to go!

I hope this helps.

Marcella

Last edited:

privatepook

Yes, I'm totally into that..
Registered
Reaction score
MarcellaJ, I sent it to Rachel. I'll definitely resend it, and thanks for the insight on the timing.

MarcellaJ

Registered
Reaction score
No problem. :welcome:

I'll cross my fingers for you!

Now I'm going to give my dog a bath. Nothing takes my mind off the publishing industry like a filthy sheltie. It's very hard to check your email when there is a very wet, soapy, furry pooch just waiting for the perfect moment to make his escape!

Last edited:

ixchel

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't heard back from Rachel since last June. I status queried her a few months ago, and still nothing.

This same thing happened with my first novel when I queried this agency. Later, after Gina replied to others on this board did she send me my rejection.

Since I queried Rachel I've done a couple revisions. Still it would be nice to know what the status is on my partial.

prairiegirl

Registered
Reaction score
Beth:

Thanks for the positive review about Rachel Dowen. The thing is, I know of at least three writers who she requested full manuscripts from and they were sent in good faith. None of them ever heard back from her and it's been over five months for one, and a year for two of them. Why do you think that is?

I also went to Kunati Press to see if I could find anything on you, or your book. For a book that's coming out this fall, there's NOTHING about you or your book on their site. Shouldn't your agent be doing some advance press for you?

Last edited:

TheEnd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.SullivanAuthor.com
I sent in my requested full about a year and a half ago, with subsequent follow-ups.....no response. Not even a "still looking" , or "I'm just really swamped" reply. I have given up any hope of contact from them.

prairiegirl

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm

This seems to be a pattern with this agency. I'm wondering if either Rachel, or Gina could kindly come here and post a reply so that we could gain a better understanding of why this continues to happen with them. If they didn't reply to me after a year and a half, I would send a registered letter and explain to them exactly how I feel. To send a manuscript takes time and costs money.

On the other side of the argument though, I have seen agents' websites that say if you haven't heard from us by a certain time, you can assume that we have passed on the work. Perhaps that is the way they operate?

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
This seems to be a pattern with this agency. I'm wondering if either Rachel, or Gina could kindly come here and post a reply so that we could gain a better understanding of why this continues to happen with them. If they didn't reply to me after a year and a half, I would send a registered letter and explain to them exactly how I feel. To send a manuscript takes time and costs money.

On the other side of the argument though, I have seen agents' websites that say if you haven't heard from us by a certain time, you can assume that we have passed on the work. Perhaps that is the way they operate?
Personally, before I sent them a registered letter chewing them out, I'd send a polite note (or email) inquiring about the status of my submission. I'd do this after about 3 months rather than waiting a year and a half.

You're asking them to represent you, an unknown quantity. Being polite at this point is probably best.

If I still hadn't heard after a year and a half, I'd just write them off and move on. Sending a stern letter, while it might make you feel better, won't do anything useful and might just be a detriment to you in the future. You never know where people will wind up in this business.

Last edited:

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
I also went to Kunati Press to see if I could find anything on you, or your book. For a book that's coming out this fall, there's NOTHING about you or your book on their site.

Hi - Just jumping in here because I received and advance copy of Beth's book. I'm in the middle of reading it.

Anyway, I see Beth's book mentioned several times on the Kunati site.

pacandped

Registered
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me with this agency recently. Gina requested a full, never got back to me and never responded to three follow-up emails. I had read this thread before querying but had decided to give them the benefit of the doubt because Gina had been on the site to defend herself. Anyway, long story short, I was wrong and I don't recommend sending a query to this agency.

AgentGina

Registered
Reaction score
Update on agency response time

I just checked in to see the latest. It's been a hectic summer for us (which is unusual in publishing) with lots of sales for both our new and our established authors. So excuse me for not checking on this sooner. Onto the next issue, so what's up with our response time?
You're right we're taking longer than before to reply. On queries, we're simply getting more queries in a day than we can possibly respond to. We're a small agency getting a large agency's volume of mail. The downside is that means we can't look at everything. The upside is we get so much mail because we're selling a lot of books.
Email queries are more likely to get an answer than hard copy. We do try to reply to as many as we can, but since we want to read each one ourselves rather than rely on interns or trainees to read and reply on queries, we're limited as to how many we can handle. I tried the intern route and felt like I was handing over the fate of new writers into the hands of people without the experience necessary to really know what books I'd want to see and which I'd pass on. The pass on ones were often the most disturbing, since my tastes are very eclectic and honestly, no one else can really accurately predict what might catch my attention.
As you'll see, we added a note to our website about a month ago to ask people to remind us if their query has gone four weeks or longer without a reply. Since then, we've gotten reminders on about a dozen queries and projects and we're responded to every one of those.
If you're writing to inquire about an aging project or query, please use the [email protected] email address as our web site instructs. Using any other will reduce the chances you'll get a reply. If you inquire at the email address that I use or Rachel uses to receive queries, your letter will be in with all the new queries, so it will be harder to find.
We prefer you email with status inquiries, but if you call, leave a detailed message, including your name, the title, the date of submission, whether it was a partial or complete and whether it was email or hard copy, and who you submitted it to. Don't just leave a message stating your name, phone number and a directive to call you back. Like the queries, we get far too many phone calls a day to reply to all of them unless we recognize your name. Most callers who don't leave a message want to discuss things like 'I want to write a book and how do I get started?' or want to query us by phone, which we don't permit. That's why we tend to make returning those 'mystery messages' a very low priority.
If you've inquired with us on a status several times, chances are we didn't get your email. Certain addresses trigger our filters and the note goes to our bulk mail folder. In that case, do try calling. But as someone suggested, if it's been four to six months or more, you should assume the project has been rejected.
We know everyone wants a personal response, but at times, our reasons are a bit more hard to define. We may think a work is quite good, but still have reservations about whether it's going to stand out in the market. We may just not find the work compelling even though another agent might. Those might sound like form rejections, but they are real, actual reasons an agent might turn a book down. If we can really define what it is that needs work, we often go overboard in providing that information.
What can you do to help ensure a response on your work? Be sure to include your FULL contact info with your submission. If you email us, include your physical address and phone number. If we tried to email you back and the mail got bounced because of server problems or a full inbox at your end, we may not find time to keep trying or attempt to locate you another way unless you give us alternate contact info. With hard copy, be sure to include a cover sheet with all your contact info, even if you included a SASE. Be sure to have a header on your manuscript with your name, title and page number on each page.
Finally, I need to remind new writers that an agency's first priority will be their existing clients. When they're particularly busy, we simply have less time for reading new work.
If you have a question, inquiry or need a status update, email us at the correct email addy ([email protected]) and we'll do our best to get back to you.
As always, best of luck to everyone.
Gina Panettieri
Talcott Notch Literary

nconner

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a Talcott Notch client and can vouch for the professionalism of both Gina and Rachel. I think it's important to keep in mind Gina's point that agents, while eager to find new clients, must focus on their existing ones. If they didn't, they wouldn't make any sales, and no one would be happy--not their clients, not the writers researching possible agents, and certainly not the agents (who wouldn't be making any money).

Thanks to Talcott Notch, I sold three novels this year: a mystery and the first two books in an urban fantasy series. When an offer came in, Rachel was right on it, neogtiating terms and explaining various aspects of the contract to me. She got me a better advance on the UF books than the publisher initially offered. Gina also gave advice during negotiations, and I felt very well taken care of.

Also, to clear up a misconception, it's not an agent's job to do publicity for his or her authors. Agents liaise between an author and publishers. Some agents (like Rachel) also help authors to polish up a manuscript, but many don't have time for that. Mostly, agents focus on selling existing projects, finding new ones, negotiating terms, and checking over contracts. Publicity is a joint effort between the publisher and the author--and falling more and more on the author's shoulders.

Nancy (Conner) Holzner

AgentGina

Registered
Reaction score
Agents and publicity

Thanks for making the point, Nancy, that agents aren't responsible for publicity. I tend to do things like enter books in respected competitions for my clients (which is an expense I happily incur since the books are often finalists or winners), or do a press release that's circulated by a media relations firm (again, an expense that more that pays for itself), and contact bookers for shows. Someone from the outside would hardly be able to identify the efforts made by the agent or agency (though I featured Beth's book's outstanding first review on my own website, so I guess that's sort of blatant). However, what eventually appears on the publisher's website, or when they begin to feature a book, isn't under the agent's control.

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
I've always had a pleasant experience with Gina and an extremely fast response to all my correspondences.

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
2-day e-jection from Rachel.

But I should warn that her rejections start out an awful lot like a material request--she praises the concept and says she read the query with interest... right before she tells you she must regrettably pass, LOL.

I guess it's nicer than a straight-up no.

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
Nah, I've got quick rejection(s), too. :cry:

Gina has my full, but it's only been about three weeks. Of course to me, it feels like three years.