YA Forum Quick Update (wip,submissions etc)

bethany

:)
Registered
Reaction score
Room two-hundred-something on the first floor
Website
www.bethanygriffin.com
Okay, this is like an update thread, since random musings moves so fast, so we can keep up on what everyone is working on, what you have on submision, what your agent is sending out....what you are contemplating...as much as you want to talk about.

I will go first. I am working on Breathless- a speculative YA that I have been working on off and on for over a year (interupted by revisions and copyedits on Handcuffs and a stint on another manuscript)

I have a companion book planned, but right now I am in the brainstorming stages for a short somewhat edgy YA called Greedy. I'm very excited about getting started on this!

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Writing
none?

Submitting
none

(i lose)

Last edited:

Dreamer3702

a real life cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Updated 04/14/2008

PUBLISHED:
One day.

ON SUB TO PUBLISHER:
The Adventures of Davy Wishbone: The Sword of Emiza --- 3rd person limited; MG; book 1 of 7

SENT TO AGENT
The Super-Scary Werewolf and the Handsome Prince --- my first picture book ever and I love it

WRITING:
Deanli and Toad Boy --- 1st person switching POVs; MG; LOOKING FOR BETAS!!!
The Adventures of Davy Wishbone: When Swinephants Fly --- 3rd person limited; MG; book 2 of 7
Untitled --- 1st person; Chapter Book; book 1 of 5(I think); about a girl named Red and a mini-pig

ON THE BACK BURNER / PLOTTING
The Secrets of Bissbe Jones --- 3rd person; chapter book; the first book of a trilogy
The Fireflies --- 1st person switching POVs; romantic comedy; my first YA!!!

Last edited:

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Okay:

Published:

The Sublime--speculative, 20K, and it's totally weird and I totally love it. Available on ebook now, coming out in paperback over the summer. Check it out: http://cantara.squarespace.com/the-sublime 1st present.

On Sub to Agents:

If It Ain't Broke--contemporary, breakneck, funny-dark, about a boy who wants to break all his bones. 1st present.

These Humans All Suck (which I usually call Christmastime)--contemporary, quiet, and slightly film noir, about a boy who worries his brother might be an angel. BY FAR the best thing I've ever written. 1st present.

Editing:

Pumpkin Patch Kids--A manuscript I cowrite with reenkam. There are two main characters: he writes Morton and I write Romy. We finished the first draft and I'm currently slowly doing the second. Then he'll do third. 1st past.

Birthday Cake--My independent switching POVs manuscript, about five out-of-control boys approaching their eighteenth birthdays. It used to be in several different voices/tenses--I just took the whole thing and put it in 1st past. Longer than anything I've written, and not my best, but I have a soft spot for it.

Singleton--About identical twins. Used to be in 3rd past--just put it in 1st past. I do not have a soft spot for this.

Writing:

Bring Home the Bacon--About the HIV positive boy and the invincible pig. Currently working on the 1st draft.

Abandoned (for now):

Nimble
Deaf Heaven
Martyr of the Month
some other ones I've forgotten, probably.

TrishD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trishdoller.com
On submission to publishers: Unbecoming, a 45,000 word mainstream/chick lit YA.

WIP: Virtually Carrie, another mainstream/chick lit YA with a plus-sized MC.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on The Inscrutable Mr. Spurling which has my MC working for his inheritance and having to work through a very inscrutable man, all the while getting caught in bad things because of the MC's naivety.

Urban fantasy (sort of) and thus far 19,000 words. At the moment trying to get through 3k a day to finish by the end of February.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Shamelessly ripping of Shady's post structure.

Published:

None. :(

On Sub to Agents:

None :(

Editing:

E.L.F: Gotta find a way to segue from the re-written stuff to the merely edited stuff. I also want to see if I can have some of Anna's great one liners stay, while keeping her monosyllabic. Maybe I can change those lines to Angel lines.

Hmm...there's an idea.

The Nameless Mage: Oh boy, it's done. ish. Doneish.

Writing:

Chines: Thinking machines are always trouble
Un-love: Chell Jovia is stuck in a rut. Will the Un-Person Naiwt fix her doldrums or drive her mad? You get to find out!
The very strange adventures of Martin "Marty" McPorter, Telepathic Rockstar Extraordinar: Well, the title explains it all.
Transcript Gamma: Stuff happens! EXPLOSIONS.

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Sage

Querying:

AFTRLYF: Urban fantasy, adult - Angel of Death, Tia, must figure out who's been killing Angels (and how) and humans connected to her before they come after her and her family.

Editing:

HEVN SNT: Urban fantasy, adult - Sequel to AFTRLYF, in which Tia must battle some demons, metaphorical and literal. I say that AFTRLYF is where I broke her, and HS is where I fixed her.

Looking for Betas:

DownLoad: YA, soft sci fi - DL is an emotionally-numb cyborg who is ordered to kill a teenager, but ends up trying to save her to find out her secrets, including why she can't see him.

Writing:

Fairytale-ish: YA, contemporary with fantasy elements - Cindy says it's not a fairytale, but even she can't deny that her life begins to loosely resemble one after she buys a pair of sparkly "magic" shoes. Her friends' similarities to Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, and Rapunzel are not helping her claim.

Last edited:

roskoebaby

Yay! My turn :D

Agent is subbing: GINGER SNAPS! soon DELINQUENTS as well
Editing for submission: SEXKITTENS
WIP: MIGUEL'S
Waiting for revision: WHAT HAPPENED IN VEGAS

Hoping to hear something soon. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!

timewaster

present
Registered
Reaction score
May I join in?
Published: 'Shadow Web' came out in UK last week. The US edition isn't out yet but the UK edition is on sale on amazon.com.( Don't quite know why)

WIP The third book in a trilogy out March 2009. I am on 65/80 k and I have to finish it by the end of the month.

In Submission - a picture book text. I've never sold a picture book text so I'm not getting excited about this one, but it would be cool.

On the back burner ( ie nothing happening) My next YA story which I really want to get on with.
Rewrite of crazy adult novel.

OverTheHills&FarAway

McNifico
Registered
Reaction score
WIPs:

The Incredible Blanco Brothers--editing, 60k/80k completed, with a total ending overhaul in the works.

For the record it's a coming-of-age half-prose-half-comic-book thriller. My artist is working on concept sketches. It involves cowboys and Misery Bay, Michigan.

Julian--writing, 30k/? completed. Guy on death row. Not YA.

Back Burner:

Leonardo da Little Rock--1k. The hotel that eats people MG thing.

Superheroes Without Superpowers Project--planning. Involves The Who. YA?

The Legend of Dinas Emrys--epic historical YA, has been written many times and might not ever be written again but I love it. Completely plotted and researched. (I even went to Wales to climb that infernal hill.)

Ghosty Hotness--Sophie...?

The Black Market Baby Story--thinking about...

The Clone Queen Victoria Story
--thinking about...

The Serialized On the Road to Comic Con--have no clue where that's going

Currently I'm waiting to hear back from the editor of a local magazine about some writing samples I sent in. Don't really know where that's going but I'm excited.

Plan on subbing to agents by June.

GirlLit

Registered
Reaction score
Fun thread!

Published: "Amor and Summer Secrets," Kensington Publishing, September 2008. It's the first book in a three-book series and it's sort of a YA Chica-Lit. First person, past.

On Submission with Editors: The first book I ever wrote is currently out in the world! Right now it's titled "Best Friend Breakup," but it's been through many titles over the years. It's a tween novel in four alternating third person POVs. I have a major soft spot for this novel. :)

WIP: I'm reluctant to discuss this because I don't want to jinx it. It's my first crack at writing a YA mystery series and I'm super excited about it. I'm currently in the research stage.

Abandoned: "Not-So-Perfect," it's YA chicklit with four alternating third person POVs. Maybed one day I'll revisit it, but it's not my favorite.

Last edited:

LitFa

Writing Frantically
Registered
Reaction score
I want to join in! :) I have nothing published or on submission :(
WIP: Pretty Boys (this title will not last)- It's a YA novel told in 1st person, its sort of chicklitty/romanticky

Last edited:

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
hey cool idea. :D

Nothing published.

On sub to agents: Black Wings - urbanish fantasy about a girl who is in love with her best friend who happens to be gay. It has dead people, drugs, drinking, and fairy tales.

Writing: hob an lam - A bastard son becomes heir to a high House, and falls in love with a prostitute during a war. Failing magic, mutated vampires, sphynxes and dehorned unicorns.

...oh lookee, I see themes...

Mandy

limbo.
Registered
Reaction score
Here's my update!

WIP: ROADIE.

EDITING, and soon to be on sub with publishers: THE INTERN.

althrasher

Prodigal Muser
Registered
Reaction score
OK, fun stuff. Let's see:

WIPs:
Wither: YA urban fantasy, third past, WIP numero uno. 7k.
Jericho: YA realistic, Back burner, first present, 8k.

Others:
Kelvdon: 80k, YA fantasy, Finished but going away for awhile.
Destroying Angel: 15k, elements of urban fantasy/realism, first present, On hold until I become a better writer.
VICTIMS: 1k, first person shifting, only an idea, probably not YA.

Aslera

Not an exact science
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing published, on submission, or querying

The Eighth Sea--YA fantasy (quest, immortality, gods interfering in human lives), on hold at 27,000 words

The Cartographer's Apprentice--young YA (MG?) fantasy (again, quest)...really really on hold haha. I think this will be my summer project.

The Daughter of Madness--fantasy, not YA (!), on hold.

"Snowflakes"--working title for an epistolary novel dealing with sibling relations and eating disorders. My current project <3 about 2500 words right now.

mcnorth

Gigantopithecus canadensis
Registered
Reaction score
Well, alright here she goes:

Prepping for submission of:
Welcome to Donnegal, 75,000 wd MG/younger YA. Outsider feels at home in weird
town.

WIP (and I'm really stretching the definition of 'in progress' here)
Midwinter - sequel to Welcome to Donnegal
Cracked - Life Insurance Salesman is losing it, The Weekend Man meets Falling Down, experimenting with 1st person narrative
Charity High Cheerleaders: Crash on Cannibal Island - not really, just love the title, screenplay(?)

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
Editing:

Little Cities (aka NOVEL OF PAIN) - gophers and trivets and fairies and politics.
Blue - cats and trees and magic and big business.

Writing:

Blue (complicated) - see above.

Backburner:

Ghostly Hotness - Hi Jordan!
Soul Threshers - DEATH and REBIRTH and SIN and APPLES.

Contemplating:
CORP - undead rehabilitation and community outreach program
Bitter Sea - dragons and mermaids turned on their ears with a dash of steampunk
Musapaloosa - the tale of an octopus, set to the music of Stevie Wonder
LC's sequel... what? - war with fairies... kinda...

Last edited:

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
WIPS!

SG, 6K rewritten and on hold. Harpy love story.

A, 30K written, nearly done with major rewrite! Hopefully to be subbed by June.

V, >1K written, on hold till A's done.

Then planned stuff. A2, selkies, all kinds of good Greek myths, and the schizophrenic twin story.

Last edited:

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
I'm going to sticky this at the top so it won't sink...of course the way y'all chatter so much I don't really see that happening. ;)

alainn_chaser

Kweh?
Registered
Reaction score
Submitting:

Nothing. :(

Writing:

Street Blood: -A young girl living on the streets refuses to be used as a vampire food source and fights the thing that keeps her human and weak. A story about drugs, abuse and love triangles that happens to include vampires. 1st person (the curse is broken!!) past tense.

Everdark: -Dragged to the creepy Canadian rural Pleasentview, twins get a job at the local cafe/ bookstore where everyone is the normal screwed up. If only the faeries would leave them alone. 3rd person, past tense.

Paperthin Vulnerability: -A high tech sci-fi world that was created when Hitler one world war II. The plot revolves around the idea that to level the playing field they have to stop technology altogether. 3rd person, past tense.

Chasing the Dark: Or the ultimate in urban fantasy. Demons, vampires, fey and werewolves from the perspective of a girl half in half out of the secret demon fighting society, her psychic foster brother, a half demon bad boy and a light side fighting protege. 3rd person, past tense.

Last edited:

bevmacrina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bevcooke.ca
I'm also stealing Shady's format:
Published:
Keeper of the Light - Conciliar Press
Feral - release April 08

On Sub to Agents
Nothing right now although the WIP will be going out to a few.

Revising:
Royal Monastic, contracted to Conciliar Press, due for release in August.

WIP:
so far no working title but an older YA about a bioengineered troll and a high school kid.
Thinking stage WIP:
historical fiction about a leper colony on an island near where I live.

Abandoned:
Too many and too long ago to remember!

TrishD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trishdoller.com
It's unofficially official... My agent sold my book to Delacorte yesterday! So now I'm waiting for the contract and the editorial letter!

ADDED 2/27/08 (From Publishers Marketplace): Trish Doller's UNBECOMING, a roadtrip across America that starts as a punishment and becomes a romantic adventure, to Claudia Gabel at Delacorte, in a nice deal, by Kate Schafer at kt literary (NA).

Last edited: