• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Delphinius Talent Management

pjks

I am seeking script representation and queried many agents/managers. I have received a nod from Delphinius Talent Management of Jacksonville, FL. Has anyone heard of this company?

JustinoIV

an agent in FL?

What would possess you to go with an agent in FL? You'd do best to with agents either in LA or in NY. The best agents have been working in on the LA or NY scenes for years, and do networking with the necessary people in LA or NY in the film and/or publishing scenes!

Outside of LA and NY, for the most part, you'll get people on the fringe.

emeraldcite

Re: an agent in FL?

contact them about their literary sales list. if they aren't willing to provide one or if it looks sketchy, move on. if they charge any sort of fee, move on. most successfull agents are in new york, some others are scattered about. best thing to do is ask questions.

check

Preditors and Editors
www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/

also, look up the various names here:
www.sfwa.org/beware/

also here,
www.agentresearch.com/agent_ver.html

also here,
www.aar-online.org/

and,
www.sff.net/people/Victor...ecord.html
(thanks victoria for such wonderful resources!)

good luck.

AlisonBurke

Re: an agent in FL?

Justin,

Are you currently signed on with a NY agent?

Just curious.

Alison

Chrisr

re:Delphinius Talent Management - Anything negative?

So, what did you do with Delphinius?
I can't find any record

bentbrains

Agent in FL

I have a good writer friend down in Fla. who I sent an email to. She's very connected. 3 books published with sales in the 70,000 area. I'll email you directly when I hear back from her and hopefully have a few other names I can add to the list for Fla. agents.

turnleftncough

Wondering if anyone has anymore info on Delphinius. I also got a nod for representation on my spec. Haven't found much info about them on the net. Supposed to have a telephone conference on Friday and will report back.

edumom

I ONLY HAVE POSITIVE THINGS TO SAY ABOUT DELPHINIUS

I am currently being represented by Delphinius. No, they do not have much of a history, because they are new. NO, they do not charge ANY fees, but they work their tails off. They're compensation, if your script gets sold is 5% below industry standards. The main agent is so very enthusiastic, while at the same time realistic. What have you got to lose? Within the first two weeks of queries by my Delphinius agent, my script was requested by and sent to an L.A. production company WITH CREDITS, ( so much for the theory that your agent has to live in NYC or LA to get you connected in LA or NYC, and if they do not live in LA or NYC, they are only going to put you in contact with "fringe" elements). Hey, all the agent does is get you in the door of a production company, your script has to do the rest. Delphinius has gotten me in the door. I hope you didn't listen to the nay-sayers and signed a contract for representation with Delphinius.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I thought a legitimate agent could live out of NYC or LA. For example, Nelson Literary Agency is located in Denver.

EDIT: That did say publisher instead of agent. Sorry about that. I do know the difference. I must have been not thinking while I was typing. Thanks for correcting me.

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Please don't confuse publishers and literary agencies.

Yes, either can be located anywhere. But no matter where you find them, you should look at their track records. These particular folks are boasting on their web page that one of their clients won second-place in a Writer's Digest Short Fiction contest. That's ... punkydoodle stuff.

What scripts have they sold that went to principal photography? That have gone to wide release? What contacts do they have? Do they have a WGA number? Is there anyone in Hollywood who returns their phone calls?

All questions I'd like to have answered before I say much more about 'em.

UrsusMinor

Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
Yes, either can be located anywhere. But no matter where you find them, you should look at their track records. These particular folks are boasting on their web page that one of their clients won second-place in a Writer's Digest Short Fiction contest. That's ... punkydoodle stuff.

Yes indeedy. Florida need not disqualify. Barbara Bova Agency is down there http://barbarabovaliteraryagency.com/ (although they started in NYC many moons ago).

This isn't real estate, and Location isn't everything. But JDM raises the more important point, which is that their record sounds pretty weak.

[ Punkydoodle? ]

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
DM's clients do have some indie film acclaim (whether any can be credited to DM is outside the scope of this comment), but of those labeled published authors, the only publisher I recognize is Xlibris (and I expect the clients are with DM for their scripts, etc., not books).

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site's gone, no recent activity.