Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 200

Thread: Rain Publishing

  1. #1
    Tilly Rivers
    Guest

    Rain Publishing

    Together we can build dreams!


    Rain Publishing is not producing books; it is creating a mental voyage. A magic carpet ride to escape reality for a moment in time and become one with the written world of thoughtful illusion.
    For aspiring authors, at times the world of book publishing can appear to be a rather overwhelming process.

    As a published author I have seen this frustrating and sad cycle many times. However Rain Publishing has begun a new revolution of conventional publishing.

    Did you know that most publishing companies accept less than one percent of proposals received? I am Tilly Rivers and I am sending out the word in hopes that together we will be able to continue to feed the dream for upcoming new authors, and change that percentage level.

    Rain Publishing’s policy is to continuously encourage new writers and is now accepting open proposals in all categories from contemporary, complete novel, poem or short story formats.

    As a writer I can not possibly stress how happy I am that Rain Publishing is offering this unique opportunity to the thousands of talented writer’s who have been frustrated in their attempts to have their dreams become a reality. Shutting out alternative viewpoints, and missing new talent is not what Rain Publishing is about.

    Rain Publishing is about breaking through all the barriers, discovering new empowering publishing policies so we may build dreams for new authors. .

    To be able to transport another into an adventure of the mind is not a talent that should be so easily dismissed. I believe we could transform the dream into reality.

    It is through your belief in your dream as an author, and Rain Publishing’s belief in the same dream that we will be able to give you a new inspiring, talented creative mind the opportunity in which you may become the next author of the decade.

    Please contact me at
    tilly@rainbooks.com to find out how you can submit your work to Rain Publishing. Or visit www.rainbooks.com

    It is my honor and privilege to support Rain Publishing. And to proudly say that they are my exclusive publisher.
    Kind regards,

    Tilly Rivers






  2. #2
    Unspeakable Euan H.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    530
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilly Rivers
    To accomplish this task we have created a unique company that gives the client/customer the ability to help make a dream come true.
    Hmm. I always thought the customers of a publishing company were the readers. Just goes to show how wrong you can be, doesn't it?
    Last edited by Euan H.; 03-18-2005 at 05:11 AM. Reason: bad phrasing
    euanharvey.com

    Avatar awesomeness courtesy of Dave "Awesome" Leri.

  3. #3
    American Aquarium Drinker pepperlandgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    811
    Building dreams is nice, but I want to sell books.

    What genres do you represent? Do you already have authors under contract? What are your royalty rates? What are your submission guidelines? What is your experience in the business? Have you published yourself or have you worked with larger publishing companies?

  4. #4
    'Twas but a dream of thee El Jefe MacAllister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Out on a limb
    Posts
    20,804
    And why didn't you get a nice editorial type to ride herd on all that rampant apostrophication?
    AW on FaceBook
    AW on Twitter!
    About.Me

    Sofa Monkeys - Pop Culture for the Short Attention Span | Creating Home - Living well, creating a home, and cooking with Mom! | Stones In the Field - Random notes and maunderings

  5. #5
    13th Triskaidekaphobe Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,868
    So many words, so few details...

  6. #6
    Around and About SuperModerator Birol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Where I hang my hat... when I can find my hat.
    Posts
    14,743
    I moved this thread from Novels to Paying Markets. Even after looking at the website, I'm not certain if this falls under Paying Markets, NonPaying, or simply Announcements, but I decided to give the original poster the benefit of the doubt.

  7. #7
    Wandering vaguely Torin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the mirrors of my mind
    Posts
    530
    Y'know, I almost didn't come into this thread because of the title. I get edgy and suspicious when I see "Author's wanted...". Random apostrophe's ma'ke 'me nervou's.

    Chris/Torin
    http://www.cebarrett.com

  8. #8
    Fish Whisperer aka eraser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Gone around that next bend.
    Posts
    6,788
    I scanned the site and saw flowery words and not much else. I smell a vanity/subsidy pub. I couldn't find any talk of $ but suspect the spiel will come when someone contacts them. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who does.
    Recently Thunk Thoughts
    www.frankbaron.com
    My book makes a great gift!

    He who conquers others is strong. He who conquers himself is mighty. - Lao Tzu

  9. #9
    'Twas but a dream of thee El Jefe MacAllister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Out on a limb
    Posts
    20,804
    I saw a couple of references that called it a "cooperative venture"--suggesting co-pay, to me.

    All together now, with feeling--Yog's Law: "Money flows toward the writer..."
    AW on FaceBook
    AW on Twitter!
    About.Me

    Sofa Monkeys - Pop Culture for the Short Attention Span | Creating Home - Living well, creating a home, and cooking with Mom! | Stones In the Field - Random notes and maunderings

  10. #10
    Around and About SuperModerator Birol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Where I hang my hat... when I can find my hat.
    Posts
    14,743
    Frank, Mac, I agree totally.

    I'm really interested in hearing from anyone who contacts this place because it is setting off the alarm bells in my head, too. And then there is the fact that the original poster has made a grand total of one, count 'em, one, post here ever.

    As I said, I gave them the benefit of the doubt when I moved the thread here, but I still have some major doubts.

  11. #11
    Fig of authority
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a fig tree, presumably
    Posts
    5,162
    From Rain's website:

    We have begun a new revolution of conventional publishing. We are about breaking through all the barriers and discovering new empowering publishing policies so we may build dreams for new authors. We are a rain fire, burning all that touch its path of inspiring, creative, talented artists and readers.

    "Burning." Remember that word.

  12. #12
    'Twas but a dream of thee El Jefe MacAllister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Out on a limb
    Posts
    20,804
    I especially liked the following:
    Rain Publishing is not producing books; it is creating a mental voyage. A magic carpet ride to escape reality for a moment in time
    Gosh. That's nice. But I'd sort of like MY publisher to be producing, marketing and distributing BOOKS...
    AW on FaceBook
    AW on Twitter!
    About.Me

    Sofa Monkeys - Pop Culture for the Short Attention Span | Creating Home - Living well, creating a home, and cooking with Mom! | Stones In the Field - Random notes and maunderings

  13. #13
    figuring it all out
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    76

    Thumbs down

    Self publishing come's to mind, not a lot of Info really.

  14. #14
    I am a pretty pretty flower Galoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Vancouver Island, BC
    Posts
    570
    I want to do this. I want to join you on your magic carpet ride, Rain Publishing! Together, we can become one with the written world of thoughtful illusion!

    I'm up for it. I want to do it right now. I want to send you my manuscript, and a check to cover costs, because I understand that you'll give me the chance other publishers won't. You believe in me!

    I'll send a check right now. Here I go... I'm getting out my checkbook... writing Tilly Rivers on the "Pay to the order of" line... I'm putting it in the envelope... attaching a stamp--wait. You don't have a physical mailing address on your site.

    Will you take Paypal to publish my book?
    Okay, I'll stop referencing you in my sig, reph. Happy now?

  15. #15
    practical experience, FTW alaskamatt17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    842

    The apostrophe

    Maybe it's a contraction, as in: One author is wanted at Rain Publishing.

  16. #16
    The Tony Award-winning TemlynWriting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,026
    Quote Originally Posted by MacAllister
    All together now, with feeling--Yog's Law: "Money flows toward the writer..."
    Okay Mac, I've just made my birthday/Christmas wish-list.
    Julia Temlyn, Word Therapist
    Temlyn Writing - editing, writing, moderating, social media consulting/management

    Blogs: Musical ReviewerWriters RememberMrs. Write Right, Word TherapistA Mom at Heart: an infertility blogHouston Theatre
    Etc.: Twitter: @JuliaTemlyn & @MusicalReviewerFacebookLinkedin


  17. #17
    Holding out for a Superhero... Sheryl Nantus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
    Posts
    6,803
    well, we'll see if there's ever a response...

    or just another hit and run spammer...

    *sighs*

  18. #18
    Just the Basic Facts Uncarved's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,846
    It is just a good thing her name is River with all that Rain.

  19. #19
    Fig of authority
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a fig tree, presumably
    Posts
    5,162
    I have to agree with this statement in Ms. Rivers's post:

    As a writer I can not possibly stress how happy I am that Rain Publishing is offering this unique opportunity to the thousands of talented writer’s who...

    I cannot possibly stress how happy I am about that, either.

  20. #20
    a work in progress
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Boulder, Colorado
    Posts
    1,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilly Rivers
    Rain Publishing is not producing books; it is creating a mental voyage. A magic carpet ride to escape reality for a moment in time and become one with the written world of thoughtful illusion.

    For aspiring authors, at times the world of book publishing can appear to be a rather overwhelming process.

    As a published author I have seen this frustrating and sad cycle many times. However Rain Publishing has begun a new revolution of conventional publishing.
    Red alert! Be wary of any publisher whose attempts to attract authors involve grand claims of "revolutionizing the publishing industry," or flowery romatizations such as "magic carpet rides" or "pirate ships."

    Did you know that most publishing companies accept less than one percent of proposals received?
    Where does Ms. Rivers get this statistic? Regardless, it is misleading even if true. Remember that publishing is not like playing the lottery. If less than 1% of all proposals received are accepted, this does not mean that your proposal has a less-than-1-in-100 chance of acceptance; this means that less-than-1-in-100 proposals received are acceptable.

    If you can create and format your proposal correctly, and your proposal is for a ripping good story, and your ripping good story is suitable to the publisher to whom you've proposed it, your "chances" are better--but not perfectly--expressed in terms of how many other similarly qualified proposals this publisher has received, and how many publishing slots this publisher has received. If your proposal meets the above criteria, my guess is that someone is going to publish your story. You just have to find that someone.

    I am Tilly Rivers and I am sending out the word in hopes that together we will be able to continue to feed the dream for upcoming new authors, and change that percentage level.

    Rain Publishing’s policy is to continuously encourage new writers and is now accepting open proposals in all categories from contemporary, complete novel, poem or short story formats.
    Notice Ms. Rivers's hype is aimed at new writers. Scammers like to paint themselves as "welcoming new writers" while describing mainstream/trade publishers as "hostile to new writers." This dichotomy doesn't actually exist; however, it serves those not-so-honest vanity publishers well to convince new authors otherwise, since they rely on the resulting fear and pessimism to drive new victims^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hcustomers into their shop.

    As a writer I can not possibly stress how happy I am that Rain Publishing is offering this unique opportunity...
    *blink blink* So is Ms. Rivers the publisher, or one of their writers? "I'm not only the President of Rain Publishing; I'm also a client!" This reminds me of new forum handles appearing on the Bewares board to jump to the defense of a maligned agent or publisher, only to inadvertantly reveal themselves as that agent or publisher in disguise.

    ...to the thousands of talented writer’s who have been frustrated in their attempts to have their dreams become a reality.
    Apostrophe abuse is never a good sign in a publisher.

    OK, that's plenty dissection from me. For more discussion on this subject, check out TNH's "A brief note on linguistic markers." If Ms. Rivers has read it, she has obviously mistaken it for a marketing how-to, as her post is a perfect example of each point TNH makes. "Hopes and dreams? Check! The terrible odds you'll get published? Check!..."
    Nicole J. LeBoeuf-Little (Niki)

    Author, occasionally published. Watch this space for more, or visit the amazing actually writing blog. (It actually writes!)

  21. #21
    a work in progress
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Boulder, Colorado
    Posts
    1,489
    Oh. I forgot to point out the biggest reason that no one should send their novel manuscript to Rain Publishing.

    "And the #1 reason is..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilly Rivers
    Rain Publishing is not producing books
    There ya go.
    Nicole J. LeBoeuf-Little (Niki)

    Author, occasionally published. Watch this space for more, or visit the amazing actually writing blog. (It actually writes!)

  22. #22
    practical experience, FTW
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    380

    I have been burned.

    I don't know about this because I got burned once with PA and I have publishers that say well we are a Christian publisher and we spend $16,000.00 to $20,000.00 on each book and so therefore you are paying only $4,000.00 of your money to publish but it has that subsidy odor to it but who knows I have sent off inquiries to a company and got information back. Usually yay or nay. I suppose it would not hurt to check out and see which side of the coin shows. But I would proceed with caution.

  23. #23
    tvwritergal
    Guest

    Angry *narrows eyes at Tilly*

    I noticed a few spelling errors aside from gramatical mistakes on her site.
    I google searched "Tilly Rivers" and some pretty questionable things pop up. Hmmm ms. Rivers...what have you to gain?

    I am new to this industry, and maybe one of you seasoned professionals can explain to me what Ms. Rivers has to gain through this scam. Can she steal the manuscripts? Can't she be taken to court over this? Please let me know how these scams work...maybe I should take this up if it's profitable...kidding, kidding...

    I would also like to know what can be done to expose this scam and do right by those who have been taken advantage of...just wondering...or something like that..

  24. #24
    I am a pretty pretty flower Galoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Vancouver Island, BC
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by tvwritergal
    I am new to this industry, and maybe one of you seasoned professionals can explain to me what Ms. Rivers has to gain through this scam. Can she steal the manuscripts? Can't she be taken to court over this? Please let me know how these scams work...
    I'm not in the same league as Jim, Jenna, Victoria and others here, but I am seasoned.

    Nothing on the site shows that it's a scam. It simply looks like every other scam site out there and nothing like any legitimate publisher's site.

    Here are some quotes from her post:

    Rain Publishing is not producing books; it is creating a mental voyage.
    I want a publisher that produces books. I'll take care of my own mental voyage.


    A magic carpet ride to escape reality for a moment in time and become one with the written world of thoughtful illusion.
    How does that translate into sales?


    For aspiring authors, at times the world of book publishing can appear to be a rather overwhelming process.
    Sure. That's because it is.


    As a published author I have seen this frustrating and sad cycle many times. However Rain Publishing has begun a new revolution of conventional publishing.
    Uh oh. This brand new little start-up is going to change the world? The system in place works just fine. I buy books from conventional publishers all the time. So do all of us.


    Did you know that most publishing companies accept less than one percent of proposals received?
    Maybe. I prefer to think they accept 100% of the manuscripts they believe will sell to the general public.


    I am Tilly Rivers and I am sending out the word in hopes that together we will be able to continue to feed the dream for upcoming new authors, and change that percentage level.
    Why? You say only 1% of the manuscripts get published. I say the other 99% are unreadable. Why do you want to put that crap on my bookshelves?


    Rain Publishing’s policy is to continuously encourage new writers
    Good for Rain Publishing. All legitimate publishers are hoping to discover the next new Stephen King and encourage new writers, too. They don't target new writers, however. Does Rain Publishing? Why? In monetary terms, I mean. Why?


    As a writer I can not possibly stress how happy I am that Rain Publishing is offering this unique opportunity to the thousands of talented writer’s who have been frustrated in their attempts to have their dreams become a reality.
    Those writers are frustrated because a legitimate publisher won't buy their manuscripts. Why? Because those publishers won't make money selling them. If a salable manuscript crosses enough editors' desks, one of them will buy it. A frustrated author is frustrated because his work isn't yet salable. If he keeps working at it, he may produce something that is. Then it'll be bought.

    Shutting out alternative viewpoints, and missing new talent is not what Rain Publishing is about.
    There you go, promising to change the world again. Tilly Rivers, genius extraordinaire, knows more about how to revolutionize the publishing industry than the combined brains of all the legitimate publishers out there. Awesome.


    Rain Publishing is about breaking through all the barriers, discovering new empowering publishing policies so we may build dreams for new authors. .
    1) The barriers are there to protect the reader from accidentally shelling out $15 for crap. Yay for barriers!

    2) If you discover a workable new publishing policy, get a job with a real publisher.

    3) I don't need my dreams built. I need my books sold. Do you do that? You haven't mentioned it if you do.


    To be able to transport another into an adventure of the mind is not a talent that should be so easily dismissed.
    This is true. I'd like to transport readers through the adventure of my mind. I'd like to transport the ones in New Hampshire and New Mexico, Washington and West Virginia. Will you put my books on their bookstore shelves?


    I believe we could transform the dream into reality.
    Neat! I'll sit back and watch you do that. If you can, and you can make your authors some decent coin, I'll send you my manuscript.


    It is through your belief in your dream as an author, and Rain Publishing’s belief in the same dream that we will be able to give you a new inspiring, talented creative mind the opportunity in which you may become the next author of the decade.
    I'm happy with my old inspiring, talented creative mind, thank you. Or is that not what you meant? Okay, you want to help me become the next writer of the decade. That's awesome. How? The last time I checked your web site you were just one person without a physical mailing address. One person can do everything a legitimate commercial publishing company does? You're right! That is revolutionary! It's also impossible unless you're The Flash.


    It is my honor and privilege to support Rain Publishing. And to proudly say that they are my exclusive publisher.
    Well, shucks. You DO own the joint, after all.



    Why is Rain Publishing marketing their services to you and me? They should be marketing their books to stores and readers. If they do that you and I will find them on our own. So will 100 other writers each week. They won't need to ask for manuscripts. They'll be drowning in them.

    Rain Publishing might be legit, I suppose. But if so they're clueless.
    Okay, I'll stop referencing you in my sig, reph. Happy now?

  25. #25
    Banned Wandering Sensei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    150
    Before she looks for writers, she should consider hiring a couple of copy editors. I'm available.

    And what's a "photographer extruder"?
    Last edited by Wandering Sensei; 03-22-2005 at 03:26 AM. Reason: To add a question.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search