• Where was Orlando Bloom?

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, whadja think of the show? Which was bigger: Jerry Lee Lewis' waistline or Kanye West's ego? Does Tina Turner still have it or what?

Let's rock. :)

Last edited:

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Show was so-so overall. Kanye West's ego was definitely the biggest thing there. Though I thought Vince Gill's dig on him was perfect and well-deserved. Kanye is talented but he's not that special.

I thought Tina and Beyonce were fantastic!

And if I have to see Amy Winehouse or hear the song Rehab again, I swear I'm going to bitch slap someone. She is not that great. I'm convinced people want to see her because it's like gawking at a car crash, you never know what you might get to see.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was the best show I've seen in years. I pretty much agree with your comments, Kristie, especially about Kanye. Having to put up with his rampant egomania was the one big lowlight of the night for me. I unfortunately missed Vince's comments due to a bathroom break. Youtube here I come!

And how about Kid Rock and Keely Smith singing that duet, how cool was that?

ETA: Vince Gill accepting his Grammy :roll:

Last edited:

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I watched the second part of the show. Believe it or not, it was the first time I had heard anything by Amy Winehouse (where the heck have I been?) I thought her performance was intriguing. I'm gonna buy her CD. I've heard she has some drug problems, but I haven't been rubbernecking the trainwreck. But first I'll be buying the Herbie Hancock/Joni Mitchell collaboration. I thought it was wonderful that a jazz album won album of the year.

The high point for me was the performance of "Rhapsody in Blue", and I was very annoyed that the audience were not allowed to show their appreciation before the producers cut to the next presentation. And yeah, the Rock/Smith duet was adorable!

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
I had no idea the Grammys were on until I saw this thread just now. Guess I'll toddle off to the web and see who won ...

ETA: Ugh, I had to stop reading about the Grammys. I just can't take it. I hope the show was better than the selections.

Last edited:

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had no idea the Grammys were on until I saw this thread just now. Guess I'll toddle off to the web and see who won ...
:e2thud:

The Foo Fighters won one, and gave a rockin' performance to boot.

Last edited:

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The high point for me was the performance of "Rhapsody in Blue",
That was awesome.

ETA: Ugh, I had to stop reading about the Grammys. I just can't take it. I hope the show was better than the selections.
I thought the show was great. The focus was on performances, they didn't hand out a whole lot of awards on the telecast. Much as a dislike Kanye West, he put on a good show. Mind you, since it was the 50th Grammys, they did look back a fair bit. Hilights for me....

- John Fogerty with Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard
- Josh Grobin and Andreas Bochelli singing in tribute to Luciano Pavarotti and all the other musicians who passed away in 2007
- Beyonce and Tina Turner performing Proud Mary
- The Foo Fighters rockin' it outdoors accompanied by an orchestra conducted by John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin
- Herbie Hancock and Lang Lang playing George Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue
- Morris Day and The Time performing with Rihanna
- Keely Smith and Kid Rock singing That Old Black Magic

I found this blog with a lot of youtube links to performances from the show.

Last edited:

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
And how about Kid Rock and Keely Smith singing that duet, how cool was that?

OMG! I forgot about that. That, for me, was the highlight of the show but I love Kid Rock.

The Foo Fighters performance was excellent...but I always like them. I think they're great.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I had no idea the Grammys were on until I saw this thread just now.

Sorry Jay. I almost asked you if you were watching the Grammys when I e-mailed you last night for The Flight. But then I got sidetracked and forgot. My bad. :)

For the most part the show was far better than the selections. I was fully disgusted by some of them. I don't know who's doing the judging around there but someone needs a bitch slap. :rant:

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
For four years at work I ran a Grammy Pool. In addition to the Big Four categories, I'd pick out 16 others to represent a wide variety of choices, like Best Native American Recording or Best Zydeco, etc. People could pick their first choice and 2nd choice, with ten points awarded if their first choice won and five if their second choice won.

Since most of the Grammys are awarded before the actual telecast, I'd have the front runners tabulated right as the show began. Then I'd keep score for the rest of the show.

I have to say, those were four of the greatest Grammy experiences I'd ever had (even though I myself came in 11th, 19th, tied for 3rd, and 23rd). Not so much ever since (although, this year was special in that my friend's daughter won a Grammy).

The moral of the story: You got to have money on the game.

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
With something so tacky as having a contemporary popstar desecrating a legend by playing along with a recording of said legend at the beginning of the show, there's no way it could not have been a tacky, crappy disaster.

I did enjoy Herbie Hancock and that other dude playing through Rhapsody in Blue, though. That was TITS.

The Foo Fighters thing was embarrassing to watch. Their only saving grace was that they didn't crapify themselves by winning a grammy.

Feist should have won, and I can't stand that british crackwhore they kept plugging. Her music is awful.

Rush not winning the instrumental thing was BS, but I guess that wasn't really part of the show because they hand out all the real awards off the air.

I especially loved at the end when the organization's fearless leader stood up and vowed to stop people from downloading music and all the rich bastards in the crowd cheered.

All in all, I give all those jackasses and the whole thing two middle fingers up.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think having Alicia Keys pay homage to one of the greats counts as desecration, even though it was kind of "meh", considering Natalie Cole did the same thing quite some time ago with footage of her dad, and it was a much more emotional moment. At least Keys acknowledged that music began before she was born, and the juxaposition of the old with the new was kind of the theme of the show, what with it being the 50th Grammy Awards.

And as mentioned upthread, the Foo Fighters did win a Grammy which they accepted during the show. :)

Last edited:

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Rush not winning the instrumental thing was BS, but I guess that wasn't really part of the show because they hand out all the real awards off the air.

I did not understand the choices for best instrumental. Satch. Yeah! Playing Always With Me, Always With You which came out in 1986?? Vai. Yeah! Playing The Attitude Song which came out in 1984?? I'm pretty sure they could have picked Vai playing Lotus Feet - a superior song, performance, and his most recent album. Rush. Yeah! Metallica. Yeah! And the winner is . . . Bruce Springsteen.

I'm pretty sure the Grammy folks spend their whole year going "How can we really screw Metallica over this year?"

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with you guys on that. There certainly were a lot of head-scratchers in the win column.