• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Webzine] Housewife Mafia

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Has anyone seen this essay contest at Housewifemafia.com? The good news: The prize is a house. The bad news: The fee is $100. However, they are limiting it to 3000 entries, and if they don't get the mininum number of entries (2750), they will refund the fees, but they might still hold the contest.

They also say "By entering this essay contest writers agree to allow their essay to be published on HouseWifeMafia.com with no further compensation. (You retain all rights to your writing)." That seems a change from the rules of most such contests.

Well I wouldn't pay a $100 entry fee for a contest, but I can see people doing so for a prize such as a house. :) This reminds me of house raffles some charities have run -- only this time, you have to write an essay as well.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
They're planning to pull in $275,000. What's the house worth? (Paying a hundred-dollar reading fee to get published on someone's webpage for no compensation is like posting your story on your own web page while simultaneously burning a hundred-dollar bill.)

Last edited:

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. I always balk at entry fees. Heck! I balk at paying a quarter on a toll road. Quarters don't come easy, you know.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
My read on the "contest" is that the promoters are stuck with a house that isn't selling and think this is the way to get it off their hands, maybe at a profit. Right now they are making payments and renting an apartment too.

5103 S. Penasco Lane, Sierra Vista, AZ ... definitely boondocks near Fort Huachuca, AZ. Lots of houses on the market.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Strange, the last time I was out at Ft. Huachuca (otherwise known as Ft. We-got-cha), the town was really booming. Sounds like another sub-prime victim trying to unload rather than re-fi.

How2writer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.AndreaReynolds.com
I'm running a condo giveaway essay contest

It has no fee. I'm having a difficult time understanding why so few people will enter if all they have to do is write a list of 10 reasons why they deserve to have it. There's no cost and no risk.

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score
If it's like the HGTV 'house giveaway' you had to register at many different sites, all of them trying to sell you products. And you had to use a good email or they'd delete you.

And each page of ads linked to more, which linked to more...all of which had to have your email addy.

I quit on page 4.

How2writer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.AndreaReynolds.com
If it's like the HGTV 'house giveaway' you had to register at many different sites, all of them trying to sell you products. And you had to use a good email or they'd delete you. And each page of ads linked to more, which linked to more...all of which had to have your email addy. I quit on page 4.

That would be annoying. My essay contest is pretty simple. Send me an email - there is also a form to complete if that's easier - with 10 reasons why you deserve to win my condo. You also have to give me your contact info in case you win but I don't use it for advertising. There's a blog, a contest FAQ and even a forum where people can talk to each other (no subscribers). No ads. No sponsors.

Andrea

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site is stagnant, Tw ceased in '14, and FB page is gone.