• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Farris Literary Agency (Mike Farris)

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted a query for my novel to this agency and Mike Farris requested a partial and synopsis about two days later. I sent it to them...and then checked out Preditors and Editors, which noted that he reads for AEI Online which is not recommended.

Should I be concerned about his relationship with AEI Online (a screenplay agency)?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I've gotten some reports that Farris bills writers out-of-pocket for submissions expenses, which isn't typical practice among successful agents. Other than that, no complaints. However, the agency's track record is slim, and most of the sales appear to be to independent publishers that take submissions directly from authors (i.e., an agent wasn't necessary to make the sale).

- Victoria

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh*

I am very glad I posted and asked. I've been around this forum for a year, read all the articles and updates and felt so secure with the fact that I knew how to find a good agent. Then the very first one turns out to be somebody I don't necessarily want.

Good thing he just has a partial and not a commitment. I sent another dozen or so queries out today.

Chisem

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All:
Like Pepper I'm dealing with the Mike Farris Literary Agency in Dallas. His website says he does not charge for reading. An E-zene article says that if he takes on your project he will line edit at no charge.
I'm curious as to why it is a bad thing to read for AEI Online. It appears this is an outlet for movie scripts.
Thanks for your time.
For background on me. I've had four nonfiction published, (one a Literary Guild alternate selection and another a true crime book of the month( and I'm now working on breaking into fiction, a tough nut to crack, especially without an agent.
Would appreciate any replies to this query, and good luck to Pepper.

UrsusMinor

Registered
Reaction score
AEI is Kenneth Atchity's company. They are a literary AND screenplay agency.

I wouldn't say they are necessarily a scam--they have handled some books and authors who did quite well, like Steve Alten (author of the bestseller "Meg" and a host of other Jaws-like stories).

I think the reason they are on the Not Recommended list is because they not only represent screenplays and books, but also provide editing services, and offer to teach you to write, and package script/book deals from writers they have edited, etc. etc. They are definitely not in compliance with the AAR Canon, and don't pretend to be--and, by the rules of the P&E website, they deserve their classification.

I'm by no means recommending them, but they ARE in the business of agenting books and screenplays, not just separating fools from their money. (They MAY be in that latter business, too.) I wouldn't shy from an agent simply because he has a past connection with them; if he sold important books while he was there, I would consider it a plus rather than a minus. Ask what he sold.

PS. Atchity is the author of a very eccentric book on writing, entitled "A Writer's Time." I read it once, and am still unsure if it was a work of genius or utterly worthless. But it's unique.

Chisem

Registered
Reaction score
Many thanks to Chao and Ursus, although I would never consider you minor, Ursus.
It will be interesting to see his reaction. I read elsewhere, in this forum, where a writer was asked for pages and a synopsis and rejected by Farris. Again -- like Ursus -- not defending. But as I understand it a money machine doesn't turn anyone down.
I really appreciate the quick reply and education on AEI. Just a few days on this and I've benefitted.

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Bob Stewart said:
It will be interesting to see his reaction. I read elsewhere, in this forum, where a writer was asked for pages and a synopsis and rejected by Farris.

I was rejected by Mike Farris after he read my partial. :Shrug: Don't know if that helps you any or if it means I'm really that bad. LOL.

Chisem

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Pepper
Since you and I are working with Farris, I'd sure like to know the outcome of your talks with them. I'll keep you post, also.

Chisem

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Pepper
Just got an email that says Mike Farris passed on my mauscript. Naturally I was disappointed, as I thought a movie connection for the agency was important.
Good luck to you. I don't view him with disfavor as others do.
Chisem/Bob

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site now says:
We are currently accepting submissions only from referrals and writers conferences
One recent sale (due out in 2008). Pub does not require agent.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
Any Updates?

Does anyone know any more about this agency? They've asked me for a partial, via snail mail. I was wondering if they're ok? I can't seem to find all that much about them, or I'm too new at this to know what I'm looking for. Any replies would be very much appreciated, thanks.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Sales are still sparse, but a recent one was to St. Martin's Press/Minotaur Books, which is good.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
Sales are still sparse, but a recent one was to St. Martin's Press/Minotaur Books, which is good.

Thanks very much! I was worrying about whether I should bother or not. I have other partials and a full out there, but I'm not hearing anything from them. Just because I send this doesn't mean I have to take them on, I'll cross that bridge should it come up. I appreciate any feedback, thanks again.

Lost World

He'll NEVER fit in!
Registered
Reaction score
This is a stale thread, but this agency is still out there. Was thinking of querying them, but have since reconsidered, bumping this agency way down on my secondaries list. Their last successful sale according to their homepage was in 2010. None too impressive.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Uh oh! Your blog’s domain farrisliterary.com expired 92 days ago!
Domain expired April 1st. In March, was Entertainment Panelist at a Sports and Entertainment Law Society Symposium for Texas A&M. Too soon to write him off, I think.