Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I don't lend out books. They either never come back (people seem to think you're GIVING it to them) or they come back all mutilated, like these people never learned how to respect other people's property.
I have a friend who, no matter how much he loves a book, will only read it once. When he's done reading, he's done reading. He will discuss the book and will read sequels if they're there, but he never re-reads.
I usually only read the books once, too. But if I really like it, it goes into my collection.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I virtually never lend books -- I'm greedy about them! I want to keep them safe and close forever.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Books that I think are total crap go in the trash. Why inflict that on another person?
"Total crap" might be just a matter of opinion.:) (unless it was self/vanity published, at least some editor/publisher thought it was good) I list such books on paperbackswap, so maybe I can get a book I WANT in exchange.

There's bookcrossing.com where you can "register" books that you give away/leave in public places, with a label inside so others can "register" where and when they found them. I've got one book with such a label, and I registered "getting" it, but I've not felt the desire to use the site otherwise.

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
I give books away everytime I move-- sometimes a shelf or two, sometimes a wholesale purge. I just took five huge bags to the library, a bag to the used paperback store, and the really good ones I gave to my friend K, because she was complaining she was out of stuff to read. She should be good through...hmm...2012 now.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
:)

When someone's read your book and gives it to someone else, is it a good or bad thing? I always appreciate it when my readers told me they liked my book and they gave it to their local libraries.
Things work a bit differently in Canada than in the U.S. Here, libraries buy book copies from the publisher and there are a couple of tattered and taped copies of my novel on the shelves so I guess people are borrowing it. I don't mind if people give my book to someone else. Funnily, most people ask me if I mind. Not at all. Especially with a first novel. The more people who read it the better. I've given away a lot of books as give-aways at writers' conferences and door prizes etc. Right now my novel is in high school reading programs in Ontario and Nova Scotia. The schools buy enough books for the program, yet many students read them for free over a number of years as each new group of students enter the program. This builds readership and will be helpful down the line if I ever get this darned WIP finished!!:D

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Maestro, :)

In my own case, I usually only read a book once, maybe twice. So it makes sense if I don't read it again, for me to give it to a friend.

This doesn't reflect on whether or not I like the book. I could be enthralled or appalled by writing I give away. It's not a matter of whether I loved it or not; it's just I probably won't read a book again after the first or second time.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting discussion.

I have let friends BORROW books. I've let some of my sisters BORROW books. The big problem with this is I usually never get them back.

And I have sold some of my hardcover books when I really needed some cash. I guess the way I look at it is once I've read them, I've read them. I don't really need them anymore.

Some books I keep for sentimental reasons. (If it was a gift from someone I like, for example.)

I have also donated books to the library. My house sometimes has too many books for the bookshelves so something has to go.

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
I think there are just some people who love to give other people books. I have one friend who has given me three books in the last month, and each book has been wonderful, so there is certainly no insult intended.

Saundra Mitchell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saundramitchell.com
If it's me, you're gonna be very happy. I give mine away because I want to share it. Then, three weeks later, I want to read it again, so I buy another copy. I've probably purchased 15 copies of David Simon's Homicide over the years because I keep giving it away and keep needing to read it again.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Total crap" might be just a matter of opinion.:) (unless it was self/vanity published, at least some editor/publisher thought it was good) I list such books on paperbackswap, so maybe I can get a book I WANT in exchange.

Yes, "total crap" is just a matter of opinion. I don't trash things just cause they don't float my boat. If I'm just "meh" I'll pass the book on. I save the file thirteen for a special few books that I feel deserve it. But I've picked up books before that I felt belonged there and so that's where I put them.

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
:)

When someone's read your book and gives it to someone else, is it a good or bad thing? In my mind, I've always thought if someone really loves your book, they will likely want to keep it. Then again, if some people like your book enough to give it to someone else to read (even though they don't buy another copy, darnit!) it must be a good thing, right?

I always appreciate it when my readers told me they liked my book and they gave it to their local libraries. I think it's really neat. Now more people can read it. But the insecure writer in me begins to think, "gosh, maybe they really don't like it. Why don't they just keep it?" A couple of days ago, someone told me she loved my book and she gave it to a good friend to read. Again, I really appreciated the word of mouth but at the same time, I wondered why she didn't keep the book.

I guess I'm just projecting. I don't usually give away my books, unless I really don't care for it anymore. I like to keep the books I like just so I can re-read them again. So I always wonder: if people give away or sell my book, what does it mean?

If they gave it to someone else to read that makes me think the person really liked it and wants to share.

For instance, if I really like a book, I'll give it to a friend and then go buy myself another copy. After that I'm much more likely to keep buying books by that author, and by giving the book away I'm hoping my friend will like the author as well, and he/she might also buy more books by that author.

Some people just don't like keeping books, though. My mother won't read a book twice, even though she always runs out to buy hardcovers from the authors she likes to read. They either get passed on to me or they disappear to somewhere else. It doesn't matter how much she likes the books - they all go. Then there are people that won't buy books, period. They go to the library or borrow from friends (admittedly, these are usually the people that don't read too often).

Soooo... I wouldn't worry about it. I'd be happy that your book is worthy of being passed on :)

Nyna

Registered
Reaction score
I know people who give books away. I am not one of them. I did give away a lot of books the last time I moved, but all of the good ones were given to a couple of close friends and my sister, with the caveat that should I panic and want any of them back they had to give them to me. One of my friends dropped by while I was packing to mine my bookshelves and she triple-checked before taking any of them out the door, because every time she pulled one off the shelf I flinched, and she said that I looked like I was about to start crying.

But not everyone is like this. Some people just don't get creepy and possessive about their books. I don't understand it either, but I really do think that it's probably more of a compliment than an insult.

hnh

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hollynicolehoxter.com
I can only think of one time I gave a book to a friend because I hated it. Usually, I only lend books if I really enjoyed them. I rarely have time to re-read anything, so although I LIKE to keep them on my shelf, there isn't a good reason for me to hang onto them.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I lend books that I love to others, but by golly, I want 'em back! If they like it so much, they can get their own copy. Or, I'll buy them one.

Speaking of which, my stepfather still has my copy of Ray Bradbury's "The October Country". I need to nag him to get it back. :D

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
I read at least a book or two a week -- if I kept them all there'd be no room for me in my apt! I do check a lot of books out of the library, & hit the used bookstores regularly, but I buy a lot new too. If I like a book I've checked out/bought used -- I'll usually buy the author's next one new. Once I'm done with fiction I'll give it to someone or donate it to the library; non-fiction I usually keep. I'm a re-reader (sometimes) & have bought more than one book many times over the years. For a while, when I finished a book I'd leave it on a table in a cafe or coffeehouse (one not attached to a bookstore) for someone else to read. Books are like love & money, IMO -- made for sharing, not hoarding.

That said, I do have a growing collection of signed first editions that I won't part with. They're sitting all around the journals with my short stories in them -- for luck. Ray, yours is on that shelf too. :)

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an unabashed hoarder. :D That's because I'm also a huge re-reader. In fact, one of my criteria for a "keeper" is that it's a book I want to read again and again.

I'm a big believer in B & N gift cards.

Daehota

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, it's such a good thing! I always share books I love with others I think will appreciate them. It's a good thing! Also, there's that word of mouth thing gonna go on, too.

Go to Bookcrossings.com for a whole new philosophy about sharing books. How about leaving one on a park bench or on a bus or plane for someone else to pick up and read?
I think that's neat.

Terran

Registered
Reaction score
When I give a book away(and I don't part with many)it's because I believe it to be such a good read the recipient will be hooked.
I'm usually right.

Status
Not open for further replies.