AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Foster Literary Agency (Tina Foster)

practical experience, FTW

Foster Literary Agency (Tina Foster)

Has anyone dealt with either of these agencies?

Randall and Foster (Phoenix, AZ) Cecile Randall

Tina Foster (Utah) (apparently no relation to "Foster" above)

Both seem to have a fairly low profile.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    I can find nothing at all on Cecile Randall apart from a totally uninformative page on Publishers Marketplace (where she is listing several rights offerings with really badly written synopses). Proceed with caution.

Tina Foster doesn't seem to have had any relevant professional experience before setting up as an agent sometime in 2003, and in the meantime has made no sales that I know of. She also runs, or ran, a paid editing service, which is at least a potential conflict of interest.

- Victoria

Thanks very much! I found the same PM page and was a little mystified by it.

practical experience, FTW Monet's Avatar
    Has anyone had any experience with Tina Foster of Foster Literary Agency. I was wondering if she has any track record since the 03/2005 post above. I know she has a warning on P&E, but was wondering if she still had a conflict of interest with the editing or had any recent sales.
    -- Monet

Everything becomes clearer with distance

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    It's very unusual for a bad agent to morph into a good one.

A friend--and a very talented writer--had Ms. Foster as his agent for a time. She did not attempt to steer him toward editing services or charge any fees.

However, she also did not manage to sell his book....

practical experience, FTW Monet's Avatar
    Thanks for the information.
    -- Monet

Everything becomes clearer with distance

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    The editing service, helpforwriters.net, seems to be defunct. The only profile for Ms. Foster I can find is on WN (not a good sign). Still no trace of sales.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Tina Foster now has a website: http://www.fosterliteraryagency.com/, complete with paid critique service.

No trace of Cecile Randall.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Some of the clients listed on her website have recently-published books, but all are either with small publishers that accept submissions directly from authors (i.e., an agent is not needed for such publishers) and may not pay advances (in which case, a reputable agent wouldn't approach them) or else have self-published.

- Victoria

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    There is still a P&E warning under her name (Tina Foster) but not her agency's (Foster Literary Agency.) I think I'm just going to steer clear. Better to be unpublished than branded with the likes of an unreputable company.

Bob K

Agency Familiarity

Hi,

Is anyone familiar with Foster Literary Agency in Utah?

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    I'm sure a mod will be along in a moment to move this to Bewares and Background Checks where you will find an old thread on Tina Foster.
    To summarize what the thread says - this is not an agency with a track record of sales to advance paying publishers and are not deserving of your attention.

"wonderfully old-school epic adventure fare"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcvasKnJlV8

Porting to Bewares
    My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing

Banned
    I tried to check out some of the books/authors there, but they seem to exist only on their site, like Lady Lost by Christine Maloney. On the other hand Duplicity by Paul T. Goldman is indeed (self-)published by BookSurge and ranks around 5000 on Amazon, which is pretty good. But if the man had self-published his 'my purchased Russian wife turned out not to be Snow White, woe is me,' memoir without an agent, it probably would have worked out just as well. Unless he needed intense editing.

Site's gone, and per her LinkedIn profile, she's retired from the agenting side.
    ICAO
    ---------