Age difference - woman older than man

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Okay, I know there was a thread a few weeks back about how much older a guy had to be than a girl to make things "icky."

Well, I've got the opposite situation. In this case, the woman is older than the man. The man is 34. I'm aiming for a couple of things here:

1) I want it to be obvious to others that the woman is older, not ambiguous.
2) I want to elicit slight discomfort from the reader when they find out how big the gap is.

Right now, I'm kind of hovering between eight to twelve years, so like 34/45.

Then I got to thinking, my husband's parents are in exactly this situation. He's 50, she's 60. Honestly, I can barely even tell. She looks a bit older but I'd never guess a decade.

Anyone else have any experience here? Real-world anecdotes? Suggestions?

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I know there was a thread a few weeks back about how much older a guy had to be than a girl to make things "icky."

Well, I've got the opposite situation. In this case, the woman is older than the man. The man is 34. I'm aiming for a couple of things here:

2) I want to elicit slight discomfort from the reader when they find out how big the gap is.

Then I got to thinking, my husband's parents are in exactly this situation. He's 50, she's 60. Honestly, I can barely even tell. She looks a bit older but I'd never guess a decade.

I used to go out, about two years ago, with someone 7 years older than me, then later on I went with a woman who was almost twenty years older than me. Nobody looked at us like we were strange, in either case.

If it were me, I would have a problem with a 34 year old man going out with someone with lots and lots of gray hair, such as a woman in her late fifties to early sixties, but anything below that age difference is really not something I consider weird.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
My grandmother was eight years older than my grandfather. So? In my salad days I fooled around with some much younger fellows. You aren't going to elicit discomfort from me (except by using words like "icky" in a certain context). Pick a demographic that thinks x number of years is OMFG awful, and aim at it, I guess. Can't shock 'em all ;)

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
I think once everyone is over 30ish, it'd be really hard to make me blink. Certainly 45 wouldn't do it. 50 would raise a little flag in the back of my mind. 55 might get me to curl a lip. 60, I'd say ick, but if the characters were engaging enough, I'd still believe it.

Nicole

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Wow, you guys are tough cookies. Where are all the prejudicial, judgmental people when you need them?

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
If she's old enough to be his mother, then it's icky. I've got friends who have a 9-year spread and no one could ever tell. Not even when he was 19 and she was 28...

Lots and lots of grey hair doesn't mean anything, most women over 40 dye their hair anyway. I don't, and it causes me problems.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
one of my closest friends is 11 years older than her husband. they've been together about 22 years-she's 55 now, so he was only 22. the story is that he was pretty proud to walk around with a hot older woman when they met. and she has remained very attractive-I didn't notice the age difference at all when I met them a few years ago. now that they're divorcing though ( :( ) she's not really attracted to men her own age and encountering just a little hesitation from younger men-I think it's the number 55 though-because she is still eye-catchingly attractive.
But as for it being shocking to others-I do admit to a little nose wrinkling over Demi Moore and Aston Kucher.

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
I tend to agree with everyone. I'm 7 years older than my husband and no-one's got any idea. It's not obvious, but it's not weird either. Even 12 years difference isn't weird. I'd raise my eyebrows if there was like a 30 year gap, but less than that these days is really no big deal.

I'd extend the age difference if you want shock value.

Gray Rose

Beware of the Thorns!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
roselemberg.net
My friend is 34, his wife is 43. Very nice couple, very loving. They have a daughter. He is desperate for more children, she cannot give birth anymore - there's friction and a lot of bitterness on his side because of this.

ona

Registered
Reaction score
How old was Mrs. Robinson ? Would that still shock ?

The age difference that might shock would seem to vary with different combinations at different stages of life. Settle on the age you want the woman to be first, then the man.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say that the real "ick" factor comes when the maturity difference - not the age difference - is so great that it's hard to believe there's anything non-sexual, non-kinky about the relationship.

Sonneillon

Autophobic Misanthrope
Registered
Reaction score
My parents have a twelve year age difference. Every once in a long while, I think about that and get squicky, but for the most part, I don't bother. I agree with Smiling Ted; I think it's the maturity difference that counts for most. But a lot of people vastly underestimate how important it is. Think Angel x Buffy... I'm only 23 and I'm put-off by her teenager-ness, so I find it very difficult to believe that even an emotionally challenged 241-year-old would find her attractive. Along the same lines, but not quite so extreme, teacher x student relationships squick me a LOT in fiction (and in reality, but we're talking fiction here). Unless the student in question has had a harsh enough life to grow up REALLY fast, in which case they are likely to be carrying a whole lot of baggage, and the teacher in question is stunted, I just don't see the attraction.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.

I was 46 and he was 25 on our wedding day. Different enough? (It was annulled 11 months later)

Sandi LeFaucheur

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandilefaucheur.com
I think by the time the man is 34 it would no longer matter. What is off-putting is when the younger party is little more than a child--be it the male or female. Seventeen and forty I would not like; however, 34 and 57--which is the same difference in numbers--doesn't sound bad. I think it's because of the maturity factor, as mentioned by others. When one partner is very, very young, it would seem the older partner is taking advantage. IMO

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
My sister is six years older than her husband. One of my best friends is eight or nine years older than her husband (married at 21 and 29 or 30). My brother dated a woman ten years his senior. No one could tell and no one cares when they find out. Eight or ten years is nothing.

If you want it to be slightly icky, go with at least 20 years difference.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
My brother is 11 years younger than his wife. Many years ago my nephew married a woman 16 yrs older than him--they split--from various other problems, but stayed friends until she passed away.

May December matches don't raise eyebrows as much.

anyone with Aston Kuchtner makes me think...iccccckkkk

ona

Registered
Reaction score
When a woman gets to 45, menopause is impending.

This will affect the relationship greatly, and the younger (or "younger" ?) the man, the more so, I think.

At the turn of the century, women expired at age 50 or so. Obsolete. Now we live much longer, in general, and this complicates everything.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the younger person is in his mid-30s, I don't think I'll be uncomfortable until the woman is of a completely different generation, that of his parents, and looks it. Say a minimum of 20 years' difference.

A well-tended 54 (or more) still seems a lot older than a 34, you know? They may share many values and a sense of humor, and enjoy the same activities, but their cultural touchstones will not mesh. To me, those are important.

Maryn, whose husband didn't have TV until he was 8

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
In this Demi Moore/Ashton Kutcher world, it's a bit harder to shock with age difference. I know my husbands parents were surprised that I was a year and a half older than him. That was 10 years ago, they're from small town America, none of our friends flinched. It was nothing. 15 years ago, my sister married a guy who was 8 years older than her and all her friends were a little shocked. She was 22 at the time. Now, it's nothing.

*shrug* I think it has to be pretty drastic to work. Could you make the guy a little younger and have the gap be somewhere around 25 years?

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Jo, I think you know that I'm a bunch older than my wife, but in this situation I think the only weirdness would be on the part of the older woman. Because I think she may feel some self doubts as to whether she was attractive or sexy enough to keep a younger guy, would she wonder if he would be constantly looking at younger girls, that sort of thing...

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
My wife is nine years older. In thirty years of marriage, it has never caused a problem. No one in either of our conservative families raised an eyebrow.

The only funny part comes when we talk about how we met. The first time I met my wife was at church, and she was my youth group leader. I was in 8th grade, and she was just out of college. Of course, we didn't become romantically involved until 6 years later.

Fifteen and twenty-three would be icky. Twenty-one and thirty is no big deal. Only time will tell if it will be an issue when I'm seventy-five and she's eighty-four.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Well, Roger, there won't be an issue until she's 108 and you're 99, but at that point, you won't remember what the issue was and go back to your game of shuffleboard.