• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Literary Market Place / Information Today, Inc.

cdg1951

Registered
Reaction score
Any comments on which online resource is the most reliable with sources? I am not aware of too many of them but I am referring to sites like the above. Thanks in advance!

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't tried literarymarketplace.com, but I've seen it highly recommended in lots of books on writing. I have used Writersmarket.com (note NOT Writersmarketplace.com*), but I have often found their information to be wrong. Some agents and publishers didn't keep their information up to date and others didn't even know they had a listing there. Still, much of their information is correct. The only way to know for sure is to call the agent or publisher (talk to a receptionist!) and verify the information.

Another good source is PublishersMarketplace.com. It costs $15 per month, but the New Deals page alone is worth it.

--Roger Carlson
www.rogerjcarlson.com

*Writersmarketplace.com is the "World's leading online place of business for travel writers, editors, photographers, broadcasters and PR professionals."

AnnaPappenheim

"Quod me alit, me extinguit."
Registered
Reaction score
Literary Market Place (LMP)

I've been reading that the Literary Market Place is an incredibly helpful reference guide for authors getting ready to self-publish.

However… it is also incredibly expensive! Around $300.

As it's mid-August and more than halfway into 2014 already, and I'm not sure I want to buy the 2014 LMP. I've found used copies online for around $50, though they're the 2013 Edition. I'm thinking I should just buy the 2013 LMP. Any advice? I realize the market is a quickly changing place, but on a limited budget at least I'd have a baseline for reference, albeit a little outdated. That's my thought, but I could be way off.

I could also reference the book at the library, but I think I will want to reference it too often for convenience.

Thanks!

AnnaPappenheim

Registered
Reaction score
Kind of also just wondering if it's really worth having. Does anyone have it and find it invaluable? Or a waste of money?

AnnaPappenheim

Registered
Reaction score
Mod: Thank you for moving me to the right spot!

Appreciate it!