What famous novelists wrote as children...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Found this here:

An interesting thread

And I thought it might be fun. What did they write as children?

Jane Austen:

Once there was a regular-featured young lady who was far wittier than her sisters. Also she was poor.

Her parents died and left her with a very small inheritance. A rich man began to woo her.

A dashing scoundrel carried her off.

Then the rich man frightened off the scoundrel and they lived happily ever after, surely.

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome. It kinda sums up a bunch of her novels too :)

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Ha, well, theirs are way better, I just figured I'd do an example? I think they spent a lot more time on theirs.

David I

Registered
Reaction score
There's a book out there called "First Words" edited by Paul Mandelbaum that collects the earliest writings of a bunch of writers--poems and stories by Michael Crichton ages 14-18; "Jhonathan and the Witchs" by Stephen King, age 9; the start of a mystery novel by John Updike, age 14; and things from Amy Tan, Margaret Atwood, Gore Vidal, and a dozen more.

Not as funny as the made-up stuff, but fascinating.

Kassandra

Registered
Reaction score
Goethe, studied languages in a very young age and by the time of his early adolescence was doing his school exercises in the form of an epistolary novel written in German, French, Italian, English, Latin with occasional notes in ancient Greek and Yiddish. In his free time he also wrote plays in French and poems.

Pretty intimidating, no?

Kassandra

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read the thread...really excellent! Made me want to pick up some authors I've not read in awhile, or at all.

Cool link, so thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.