Guitar Rising uses REAL guitar, not Hero plastic

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
That looks like a great instructional tool. I love the point of "if you're going to put all that effort into playing a fake one you may as well learn a real one". I could see this type of technology eventually replacing guitar tabs.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
You mean...nobody will know how to read music anymore? I weep for the future. :cry:

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
You mean...nobody will know how to read music anymore? I weep for the future. :cry:
reading guitar tabs isn't reading music ;)
this looks cool-I've had a beef with the whole Hero thing not being realistic.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
While Tablature is a rather ancient technique of learning how to play an instrument, reading music and knowing how to write it opens up whole new worlds.

I learned to read music before I discovered Tab...because, I believe, my teachers abhorred it. I had always thought banjo tab was unique to the instrument until I looked around and discovered it wasn't. I have to admit though, Tab is much easier.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
You can hardly find a guitarist from the past 50 years (since the inception of rock'n'roll, and surely for a long time before then with many blues players) who can read music, why should that change now???

Oh, well perhaps you were already sarcastically alluding to the situation...

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Many great guitarists don't know how to read music. Jeff Beck comes to mind.

ETA: Drat. This point has been made already. :(

I've always sort of looked at the Guitar Hero thing as a toy. This program would be something I could hook up with.

Last edited:

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
I like guitar-USB stuff but I don't like the idea of being told by a computer program how I'm playing something.

Maybe for a beginner it would be good, but in that case, I'd want the beginner to learn properly, not like this.

I mean learning how to teach yourself is a valuable skill, and doing this won't help with that at all. I picture a legion of weekend guitarplayers all playing the exact same songs in the exact same way and looking at scores instead of listening. It might be a fun game, but it's not music.