The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Question about agent submissions to Pub. Houses...

RejectME

Question about agent submissions to Pub. Houses...

Are there any hard and fast rules as to how an agent submits material to a publishing house? Is it most common for an agent to sent the editor the whole novel at first or send a proposal with say a synopsis, bio, and a few chapters? I'm curious as the latter is what my agent has done with a few editors and I'm fairly new...

Thanks,

R.M.:snoopy

SRHowen

agents

agents don't send a complete ms blind any more than an author should. They can talk to an editor they know and say hey I have this great ms--and then the editor can say--OK send it over or say give me synop and chapters.

Most agents query in one form or another. Written, e-mail, verbal, phone etc.

Even with an agent it takes time.

Shawn

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar

Agents and how they submit to editors

A lot would depend on the agent, on the editor, and the sort of relationship the agent and editor have. A discussion over lunch is different from a phone call is different from a letter, and I can see the same agent using each method at different times.

If your agent has a track record of decent sales, let him do his magic while you do yours.