• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Alison J. Picard Agency

Alamanach

Counterinsurgent
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alamanach.com
My story, for whatever it's worth:

I queried Alison Picard via email about the nonfiction book I'm working on. A few weeks later, she wrote back, asking for a sample chapter, which I sent. Single-spaced, 12 point font, this was 13 pages, and I sent it at 4:30 in the afternoon. 6:30 am the next morning, she wrote back saying that she was interested, but that she didn't think the writing was "strong enough for the competitive market." She mentioned that publishers receive hundreds or thousands of manuscripts a year, and publish only a few of them.

She then asked whether I would be willing to take on a co-author, suggesting one of her clients. Searching this author's name, I could find one book he has coming out either in October of this year or April of next, but nothing else. That book is through a publisher that accepts unagented submissions. He is (supposedly) a journalist with 25 years of experience, but I haven't been able to find anything that he's written.

I asked Alison for a sample of this writer's work, and she sent a Word document of another, 300+ page, book that he's written, this one also to be published next year. I didn't like it, and I told her so-- I thought his writing style was too simplistic and he exhibited a poor command of the facts he was discussing.

I suggested that this particular text might be a poor representation of his abilities, and asked if there were any better examples of his work. Alison wrote back saying that she had no other clients who would be a good match for my book. She asked that I contact her again if I find a co-author. (I had been blunt with my opinion of her client's writing, and that possibly turned her off.)

I haven't written a book before, but I have written a lot of other stuff. People like my writing. There are only two other times in my life in which I was told my writing, in some way, was not good enough, and both of those times involved people with whom, for other reasons, I couldn't get along with anyway. So, history suggests that I probably wouldn't have been able to get along with Alison. But that's just me.

Does it mean anything that she read my sample chapter so quickly and wanted right away to hook me up with a writer I can find nothing about? I don't know. Google my name (or even just "Alamanach," for that matter), and you'll find plenty about me. I Google this other guy and I can't find a thing. How is it that a professional writer has no record, no online presence? I haven't been involved with publishing long enough to know what it means, so I won't try to interpret. But for you more experienced people, there's my story.

By the way, what was this Edit Ink scam that was mentioned above?

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
I'd suggest taking a chapter over to "SYW" (Share Your Work) here and get some feedback. Find a beta-reader to read over it for you. After getting feedback here and from your beta, correcting (if it needs it) the parts that need work-- then if an gent tells you "Meh, you need a co-author", then maybe you do.

But don't make drastic changes on the advice of one agent, esp. one whose suggestions you're not comfortable about. Keep sending it out. Try SYW. Get a beta reader.

wmgoins

Registered
Reaction score
It may be WAY late to add anything to this discussion, but she burned me big time when the Edit Ink scam was going on. I was new to long fiction, but had published many short stories and a considerable amount of poetry. She commented favorably on a not-too-badly written book I had at the time. I was too young and too dumb to know it wasn't quite publication-ready, but I did know it was pretty good. She sent me straight to Edit Ink. I was one of the lucky ones and spent a minimal amount long before I really knew better. I would avoid her like the plague. Too many good agents out there.

mrhyne

mrhyne
Registered
Reaction score
She requested the first 5 chapters of my mss then after a month contacted me back and said it was very engaging, but was in dire need of editing. She went on to say she could edit it for a 'small fee' then re-emburse me the fee when she sold it to a publisher. I didn't reply back. If it were in dire need of editing like she claimed she would have refused it on that basis alone, or since she admitted it was 'engaging' she would have requested I do a complete edit and resubmit, not offer to fix it for me to sell. My gut feeling--Stay away.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
She requested the first 5 chapters of my mss then after a month contacted me back and said it was very engaging, but was in dire need of editing. She went on to say she could edit it for a 'small fee' then re-emburse me the fee when she sold it to a publisher. I didn't reply back. If it were in dire need of editing like she claimed she would have refused it on that basis alone, or since she admitted it was 'engaging' she would have requested I do a complete edit and resubmit, not offer to fix it for me to sell. My gut feeling--Stay away.

Do you still have any of that correspondence with her? Would you send me a copy at [email protected]?

jonsurfs

Registered
Reaction score
I can second the editing fee -- she emailed me today telling me that the manuscript needed editing and that she would do it for $2 / page, and she also offered sample edits. I've declined working with her.

mrob44

Registered
Reaction score
I can second the editing fee -- she emailed me today telling me that the manuscript needed editing and that she would do it for $2 / page, and she also offered sample edits. I've declined working with her.

I got the same response today. I queried and got a response asking for the first two chapters of my MS. I got a follow up the following morning saying that the story was "engaging" and had commercial promise, but needed editing. She offered her services for $2/page, and would refund if book sold. I declined. If she's legit as an agent, she needs to not mesh her services, it makes her seem like a scam.

New Writer

Registered
Reaction score
I just joined this site and besides a response to a 'welcome' PM this is the first thing I've written. I queried Ms. Picard about my first novel, she responded asking for the first two chapters which I sent, pasted in the body of the email. (FYI, I know of NO literary agent/agency that will 'open' any attachment. This is stated clearly in all Internet Agency websites and the Literary Agent Guides. So one cannot be surprised that an attachment was not opened.)

She liked what she read but also stated she felt it needed editing, something I KNEW would need to be done. Personally, I don't have any problem at all with an agent/agency offering these services. I don't see how that's a conflict of interest, in fact I feel just the opposite. She offers to reinburse her editing fee if she sells the book, that's fair. Who wants to work for free, I certainly don't. I'm part 'Vulcan'. If things don't make reasonable common sense to me I have difficulty them. Ms. Picard has been honest, upfront, and told me her opinions in an open manner. When she sent me the first four pages, edited, back to me, her changes were valid and I was pleased. If she had a problem almost ten years ago, I'm not going to hold that against her. I've had my problems in my life and I've learned from them. Who here hasn't????

From my experience with her to date, she has been a great help and I have total confidence in her. I can only offer what my own perspective has been.

As authors we need to be able to absorb constructive criticism and be open to suggestions. Even the 'Big Boys' need editing. Case in Point: Robert Crais has written eight or however many Joe Pike/Elvis Cole novels. In his stories, Elvis Cole drives a 1966 Corvette. From 63' through 67' Chevrolet spelled Sting Ray as TWO WORDS. In 1968 Chevrolet dropped the Sting Ray moniker from the Corvette, then revised it in 69' as one word: Stingray. Even through his latest novel, "The Sentry", Crais is still misspelling Elvis Cole's 1966 Corvette Sting Ray as 'Stingray'. You'd think by now someone would have caught that.

Back to the point. I can only suggest, strongly, that Ms. Picard be given an honest chance at viewing someone's work.

New Writer

Registered
Reaction score
I just joined this site and besides a response to a 'welcome' PM this is the first thing I've written. I queried Ms. Picard about my first novel, she responded asking for the first two chapters which I sent, pasted in the body of the email. (FYI, I know of NO literary agent/agency that will 'open' any attachment. This is stated clearly in all Internet Agency websites and the Literary Agent Guides. So one cannot be surprised that an attachment was not opened.)

She liked what she read but also stated she felt it needed editing, something I KNEW would need to be done. Personally, I don't have any problem at all with an agent/agency offering these services. I don't see how that's a conflict of interest, in fact I feel just the opposite. She offers to reinburse her editing fee if she sells the book, that's fair. Who wants to work for free, I certainly don't. I'm part 'Vulcan'. If things don't make reasonable common sense to me I have difficulty them. Ms. Picard has been honest, upfront, and told me her opinions in an open manner. When she sent me the first four pages, edited, back to me, her changes were valid and I was pleased. If she had a problem almost ten years ago, I'm not going to hold that against her. I've had my problems in my life and I've learned from them. Who here hasn't????

From my experience with her to date, she has been a great help and I have total confidence in her. I can only offer what my own perspective has been.

As authors we need to be able to absorb constructive criticism and be open to suggestions. Even the 'Big Boys' need editing. Case in Point: Robert Crais has written eight or however many Joe Pike/Elvis Cole novels. In his stories, Elvis Cole drives a 1966 Corvette. From 63' through 67' Chevrolet spelled Sting Ray as TWO WORDS. In 1968 Chevrolet dropped the Sting Ray moniker from the Corvette, then revised it in 69' as one word: Stingray. Even through his latest novel, "The Sentry", Crais is still misspelling Elvis Cole's 1966 Corvette Sting Ray as 'Stingray'. You'd think by now someone would have caught that.

Back to the point. I can only suggest, strongly, that Ms. Picard be given an honest chance at viewing someone's work.

Forgot to add, everything by her has been in a very timely manner.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Anyone know of her qualifications as an editor?

Could someone with PW look up and see if she had any 2010 sales? I saw that there was a May 2010 deal, but couldn't get any details on where it was sold to. (I just googled her and part of the listing appeared, but I'm not a member so I couldn't get the details.)

My google search didn't bring up a lot of information, mostly it was about her charging editing fees. I couldn't even find an agency website.
I found this, but I'm not sure how accurate it is:
http://www.manta.com/c/mm4455m/alison-picard

Alison Picard
Alison Picard, Literary Agent
P.O. Box 2000
Cotuit , Massachusetts 02635 United States
Phone: redacted Fax: redacted

Areas of Specialization:
Adventure, Confession, Erotic Fiction, Experimental Fiction, Fantasy, Feminist Fiction, Gay/Lesbian Fiction, Horror, Literary Fiction, Mainstream Fiction, Mystery, New Age Fiction, Romance, Science Fiction, Biography, Feminism, Gay/Lesbian Nonfiction, General Nonfiction, History, How-To and Self-Help

Description:
Alison Picard is a literary agent with twenty years experience in the fast paced,
dog-eat-dog world of the publishing industry, and she currently represents 40 clients. Alison Picard charges 15% on both domestic and foreign sales. No reading fees! She requires an SASE for return of mss and all correspondence.

Last edited:

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, she has sales listed on Publisher's Marketplace for 2010 (ran search for last 12 months.) Everything from NF, to MG, to YA, Mystery/Crime and Inspirational.

10 total:
NF - 5
Fiction - 5

New Writer

Registered
Reaction score
I received a four page listing of her book sales. She stays in constant communication with me and answers all my questions always within twenty-four hours, sometimes the same day. I have found her to be very professional to work with.

New Writer

Registered
Reaction score
A couple of months ago, in response to a query, she requested I send her a few chapters as an attachment. I did. She sent me an email rejection. Only problem was, she NEVER opened the attachment with the chapters. (I have an email tracking program.) I asked her about that, but she ignored the letter. Very strange

I find this rather odd as everything I was able to comfirm about her when researching always stated 'under no circumstance would she open any attachments. This seems to be the standard of the industry. Most agents when receiving a query letter, if it's not followed exactly to whatever their own specificatins are, will immediately discard it. The logic as written in print: If someone can't follow simple instructions, why waste time with them. Not my words, just what I've read in multiple articles.

In no way am I trying to be offensive here but I wonder if you just simply misunderstood her directions?

Different agents require different items. One wants first chapter, one wants first three chapters, one wants first five chapters, first fifty pages, first hundred pages, one page synopsis, two page synopsis, and on and on. It's almost like it's some kind of test. Different agents even want different points in a query letter. One size doesn't fit all. The final answer is: DO YOUR RESEARCH AND DOUBLE CHECK ANYTHING YOU MIGHT READ IN A GUIDE TO LITERARY AGENTS AGAINST THEIR WEBSITE. You'll be amazed at the contradictions you'll find, and the website always trumps.

Just trying to be helpful.

New Writer

Registered
Reaction score
What's her website addy? I couldn't find it . . .

Don't believe she has one. I originally got her info out of the 2010 Guide to Literary Agents by Writers Digest Books. Then I spent about eight hours on the internet tracking her. Didn't see anything concrete enough to scare me off. Email communications with her were extremely professional and to the point, VERY IMPORTANT TO ME. I was surprised by how many agents don't have a website so that wasn't a strike against her in my mind.

She 'edited' the first four pages of the two chapters she requested, as an example of her work, (for free) and all of her changes made perfect sense, and made my work better. At least I thought so and I'm damned picky.

To me she's been extremely professional and encouraging.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I recently heard from another writer to whom Picard offered paid editing services along with representation. She apparently stopped doing this for several years, but it appears that she's now back to her original M.O., about which Writer Beware received a number of complaints in the late 1990's and early 2000's.

This really is a conflict of interest. If the agent can make money from recommending editing, how can you trust that the recommendation is being made in your best interest?

Many agents do work with their clients to edit and polish manuscripts before submitting--but they don't charge fees for this. It's part of the service their 15% commission will ultimately pay for (and they accept the risk that the project may not sell). If an agent does offer paid editing (or other adjunct) services, it's best that they maintain a wall between the two sides of the business--i.e., agency clients are never offered paid editing, and editing clients are never accepted for representation.

Promising to refund editing fees if there's a publishing offer isn't as generous as it seems. If the agent sells your book she has to give the money back--but if she doesn't sell your book, she gets to keep it. Essentially, you're paying her for failing.

- Victoria

New Writer

Registered
Reaction score
I recently heard from another writer to whom Picard offered paid editing services along with representation. She apparently stopped doing this for several years, but it appears that she's now back to her original M.O., about which Writer Beware received a number of complaints in the late 1990's and early 2000's.

This really is a conflict of interest. If the agent can make money from recommending editing, how can you trust that the recommendation is being made in your best interest?

Many agents do work with their clients to edit and polish manuscripts before submitting--but they don't charge fees for this. It's part of the service their 15% commission will ultimately pay for (and they accept the risk that the project may not sell). If an agent does offer paid editing (or other adjunct) services, it's best that they maintain a wall between the two sides of the business--i.e., agency clients are never offered paid editing, and editing clients are never accepted for representation.

Promising to refund editing fees if there's a publishing offer isn't as generous as it seems. If the agent sells your book she has to give the money back--but if she doesn't sell your book, she gets to keep it. Essentially, you're paying her for failing.

- Victoria

I checked with many agencies and only found one who would offer editing services for free. While many advertised this fact, it always came back to the 'read the fine print' addage. Would I love to have work done for free? Certainly. Although I certainly don't work for free. I see your points, valid of course. I also see the other side of the fence. If an agent is working with a new author, right off the bat the odds seem to be against that new author in this day and age. An agent, while making some but certainly not a lot of money for editing services, will surely stand to make much more by selling your work. That to me makes reasonable common sense. I suppose it ultimately comes back to the 'chicken or the egg' concept. For those who do not wish to pay for professional editing services, then I would strongly recommend that they don't. However, for those of us who understand that we can use the help in order to perfect our work, then I don't have a problem with it. I suppose my mind might change if I ever get the impression that she is not putting her best foot forward. So far I have not received that from her in any manner.

We all must do what is within our own comfort zone. If I get burned, I'll let you know. If I don't I'll let you know.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I read a recent article saying that publishers are taking more chances now on newer authors than they are on established midlist authors, so that's essentially a myth. Yes, it's harder to get a book deal right now but that's true for anyone. There are also first-time authors who can put together a book that's good enough to be sent to an editor as is without major revisions.

I'm wondering which agencies you queried about editing services. I also would like to know how you approached. Did you just ask if they do edits for clients and whether or not the client then has to pay for it? Did you ask them to edit something for a non-client?

There are a lot of agents out there who will work personally with clients on editing without charge. Some might pay for an outside editor to come in if they feel it necessary, but they will often eat the costs themselves, or if it does come from the author it will come after the book has sold and not before.

Have you looked up the agents you spoke with on these boards to see whether or not they're recommended? There are plenty of scam agents who do charge.

Disclaimer: I don't know everything and I'm sure people will correct me if I'm wrong on this, but your statement goes so against pretty much everything I've seen (and I've researched a lot of agents) that I wanted to ask. It's entirely possible I just have the wrong impression of things.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I read a recent article saying that publishers are taking more chances now on newer authors than they are on established midlist authors.

Yes. Notwithstanding anyone's personal experience, I don't think it's so much harder now to break in--but it IS harder to stay in.

There are a lot of agents out there who will work personally with clients on editing without charge.
Exactly. This is true of my agent, of the agents of the professional writers I know, and there are also plenty of agented writers here at AW who report the same thing. It truly is not the norm for an agent to charge a client for editing services.

- Victoria

New Writer

Registered
Reaction score
Spent six hours on the Internet early last week and found several agencies who did state that they would not charge for a 'signed' client. Had a couple respond that they would consider on a case by case basis. Two responded for me to 'query' them and they would consider based on the strength of the query.

I have no problem in stating out loud that I'm very new at this writing thing. Because of losing my basic entire life saving in the financial meltdown, money is tight and I don't have the resources presently to attend conferences, etc., so I burn up the Internet learning what I can. It's only my humble opinion but there does seem to be a bit of a 'double standard' for new writers and established writers, and I can't fault that.

I had three agents respond favorably to my query letter out of about thirty-five that I sent out. Mostly received the standard rejection forms. One even sent me a three inch by five inch piece of green paper that simply said "Not for Me". Thought that was kinda cheesey but hey what do I know?

I apologize if I've 'started' anything here. To me it's one giant learning experience and I take everything that anyone has to say and process it. I guess the bottom line is that Ms. Picard had the most 'common sense' (to me anyway) points to be made about my work. Common sense is extremely important to me. Sometimes I think I'm half 'Vulcan'....lol....

Was I wrong in agreeing to paying an editing fee? Maybe, I honestly don't know at this point. What I DO KNOW is that Ms. Picard has been in constant communication with me, has answered all my questions (and there's been a bunch) in a professional and easy to understand manner. She patiently explains the reasoning behind her ideas or comments and they always make good common sense.

As she is the first agent I've worked with, again, it's a learning experience. My second novel is complete and ready to query. She has expressed a strong interest in reading the manuscript. I'm also well into the sequel to my first novel. I have developed two distinct series. At this point, a total of 22 people have read the manuscript of my first book, entitled 'Black Kayak' and all 22 have emphatically stated how engrossing the story was. (disclaimer: borrowed the 'engrossing' from one of the sources) All said they thought it was as good as anything else out there. I guess time will be the judge of that.

Anyone who can offer any kind of feedback to help me, or other fellow new writers, I for one am all ears. Thanks guys and gals.

sheri

Registered
Reaction score
I just sent Alison the first 25 pages per her request. Now today she says she is totally intrigued by my novel and feels it has great saleability. My heart skipped a beat and I was thrilled. She then said it needed a lot of editing before presenting it to the publishers. She charges $2 per page...............

So disappointed!