AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alison J. Picard Agency

caruna

Alison J. Picard Agency

Any writers out there heard of the book agents Jeanne Fredericks or Alison Picard?

James D Macdonald

Re: info on agents

This is a great site for the information you're looking for:
    <a href="http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pubagent.htm" target="_new">Preditors & Editors</a>.

mammamaia

Re: info on agents

you can also check them out at www.aar-online.org/ and wgae.org/...

stormie267

Or try...

...www.writers.net Go to "Discussions," then go to "Literary Agents," then click on the the word "search." (There are two "search" links on the page. Don't click on the search box at the top, click on the word search that is underlined just above the posts.) Then type in the names of the agents. Interesting information....

Elyse

Alison J. Picard

Has anyone had any experience with this agent? She just asked to read my ms, and I really can't dig up any information on her except that she is "$ Not Recommended" in P&E. But they don't say why. On another site (The Rumor Mill) I read that she was indirectly involved in an Edit Ink scam. She doesn't charge reading fees either. Two successful authors, who have been clients of hers for awhile, say incredible things about her in other posts. Just curious. I want to hear something about her before I send it out. If she's borderline dodgy, I want to know!!!
    -Elyse

aka eraser

Re: Alison J. Picard

Sounds to me that what you've already discovered puts her in the "borderline dodgy" category.

Arisa81

Re: Alison J. Picard

I wouldn't take any chances

AC Crispin

Alison Picard

Picard has a small track record of sales, but she's definitely second tier. She has offered editing services in the past, but this doesn't seem to be the case any more.

The main reason a writer might consider her "dodgy" was that she was extremely active in making Edit Ink referrals. Even though this was years ago, now, it's left a bad taste in Writer Beware's mouth, so to speak.

In my opinion, you should proceed with caution.

-Ann C. Crispin
    Writer Beware
    www.writerbeware.com

Elyse

A. Picard

Thank you for all your suggestions and comments. I found her in the 2005 Children's Writer's. I thought it was safe to send her a query. I'm taking a shot. I know of several authors with her who have strong track records. (I know what it's like to be blackballed from a job. So maybe she's learned a hard lesson.) If she's willing to take a chance on me, so will I.

Elyse

Kyrah Malan

Re: A. Picard

Elyse, I just received a reply to my nonfiction query asking for a proposal. What have you heard about her since your original post? Thanks!

Elyse

Alison Picard

The original post says it all. I tried to dig further, but I guess she's kept her hands clean after the Edit Ink scam.

I was rejected by her after sending her my first three chapters. In less than 24 hours.

-Elyse

Kyrah Malan

Re: Alison Picard

Sorry about her reply, but at least she read it! I sent her my proposal and first three chapters about 10 days ago and haven't heard anything yet.

wryter
    Quote Originally Posted by caruna
    Any writers out there heard of the book agents Jeanne Fredericks or Alison Picard?
    A couple of months ago, in response to a query, she requested I send her a few chapters as an attachment. I did. She sent me an email rejection. Only problem was, she NEVER opened the attachment with the chapters. (I have an email tracking program.) I asked her about that, but she ignored the letter. Very strange

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

alison j picard

alison j picard, weird name, but is she any good? i'm tryin to get legit here, and i don't wanna make a "publish america" mistake. any word on this one?

Gone
    BudJay, if you look in the Index at the top of this forum, you'll find several threads on how to research an agent.
    Winner of Uncle Jim's Whoo Hoo Super Writer Award and Nomad's Most Use of Vowels in a Screen Name Award as well as Maryn's Only Person on AW Whose Name Anagrams to "I, Octane," "Act I (One)" and "Nice tao" Award in addition to batgirl's Culpeper Award for Botanically Erudite Screen Name plus awatkins' AW's Most Creative Srounger [sic] of Rep Points Award not to mention azbikergirl's Arizona Most Awarded Writer Award and also Dawno's Most Interesting Signature Line Award

Wow, no one's asked about this agent in a long while.

I found her in the 2009 Guide and wondered if anyone's had any recent experiences with her. All my research turned up old news.

Thanks!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    She has four sales posted on PM for 2008: to Flux, Running Press, St. Martin's, and (most recently) Adams Media.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Quote Originally Posted by Elyse View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with this agent? She just asked to read my ms, and I really can't dig up any information on her except that she is "$ Not Recommended" in P&E. But they don't say why. On another site (The Rumor Mill) I read that she was indirectly involved in an Edit Ink scam. She doesn't charge reading fees either. Two successful authors, who have been clients of hers for awhile, say incredible things about her in other posts. Just curious. I want to hear something about her before I send it out. If she's borderline dodgy, I want to know!!!
    -Elyse
    Just joined the board, and wanted to quickly post a note before I get my profile up and running. I cannot vouch for Ms. Picard to date, but she was involved in the Edit Ink scam (for me in 1992 or 1993 I think it was), I have been writing and submitting steadily but never to her. That being said, she may have been a victim too, but I have not done any research to determine if she made any public statement as to her involvement. I have the letters in my big fat rejection binder if anyone would like I can scan and post, or you can email me and I can send them.

practical experience, FTW JamieB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elyse View Post
    -Elyse
    This appears to have changed:

Alison (Allison?) J. Picard: $ A literary agent. Contact at: PO Box 2000
    Cotuit, MA 02635
    I sent her my first chapter yesterday.
    NY Times & USA Today Bestselling Author
    www.jamieblairauthor.com

Young Adult
    Romance

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin inspired007's Avatar
    She requested my first chapter 01/14/09 from my 12/16/08 equery.

practical experience, FTW JamieB's Avatar
    Inspired007 good luck, have you heard back?

Nothing for me yet. Shouldn't take too long to read one chapter, so ???
    NY Times & USA Today Bestselling Author
    www.jamieblairauthor.com

Young Adult
    Romance

figuring it all out
    Any update?

Alison Picard has been my agent for ten years, and has sold all three of my solo books. (I had one book with another author before that.) She has not only been square with me over the years, but when the first book was orphaned when my editor left the company and the publisher had second thoughts, Alison didn't give up on it, eventually placing it with another publisher. The book, "The Fourth Network," came out in 2004 and went on to win an the Cable Center book award. When I was ready to give up on the project she perservered. I have no complaints with her.

Does she accept email queries or only snail mail? Thanks!

Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by danielmkimmel View Post
    Alison Picard has been my agent for ten years, and has sold all three of my solo books. (I had one book with another author before that.) She has not only been square with me over the years, but when the first book was orphaned when my editor left the company and the publisher had second thoughts, Alison didn't give up on it, eventually placing it with another publisher. The book, "The Fourth Network," came out in 2004 and went on to win an the Cable Center book award. When I was ready to give up on the project she perservered. I have no complaints with her.

I think you can do better. Sarah Christine's Avatar
    Where did the floor go? (This is not an existential question.)
    Anyone have any recent experience to update? Response times or partial requests?
    Scar: Trunked ftw.
    WatW: Trunked also ftw.
    WIP: FINISHED130k (I hate epics.)

Twittering about your driving skills. And stuff. // Shared Art Blog for sketchbook vomit.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast