• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Marianne Gunn O'Connor Literary Agency

ascribe

I...love...rejections
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on this agency? I've got an email address and a snail mail address but no web page or examples of writers they represent. I'm particularly interested in children's authors she might represent.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Quick google...

http://www.writersservices.com/agent/uk/marianne_gunn_oconnor.htm

Commercial and literary fiction, non-fiction, biography, children's fiction (UK 15%, overseas 20%, film/TV 20%). Send preliminary letter plus half-page synopsis and first 50pp. Translation rights handled by Vicki Satlow Literary Agency, Milan.
Clients include Cecelia Ahern, Chris Binchy, Ken Bruen, Claudia Carroll, Julie Dam, Noelle Harrison, Claire Kilroy, Patrick McCabe, Mike McCormack, Paddy McMahon, Anita Notaro, Morag Prunty, Naill Williams. Founded 1996.

P&E:

http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/pealm.htm

Marianne Gunn O'Connor: $ A literary agent. Contact at:
Suite 17, Morrison Chambers, 32 Nassau Street, Dublin 2, Ireland

Last edited:

ascribe

I...love...rejections
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, I was looking in Writers' & Artists Yearbook.
Technology is a wonderful thing, I'm going to have to get a grip on it. :Shrug:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Cecelia Ahern is the daughter of the former Prime Minister of Ireland and one of her books (PS I Love You) was recently made into a movie.
This agent is well-connected and doing very well

O hAnnrachainn

Registered
Reaction score
Former Prime Minister? Bertie's still there, up to his neck in scandal.

Marianne Gunn O'Connor didn't start out as a literary agent, but the deal she made for Cecelia Ahern's novel gave her career a huge boost.

ChrryBlssmGrrl

Paranormal Princess
Registered
Reaction score
I decided to try my luck by e-querying Marianne today. Since she has no website and the references to her out there on the web seem to suggest different things it was a tough call about whether to bother attaching sample chapters or not but in the end I played it safe with just a query letter and a brief synopsis copied and pasted into the body of the email.

Anyone out there represented by Marianne or had any dealings with her before? Any idea how long she usually takes to respond or if she answers unsolicited queries at all?

Thanks!!

MickRooney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com
ChrryBlssmGrrl,

Literary agents can always be a difficult call, particularly over here in Ireland as there are so few.

Marianne Gunn O'Connor does have a distinguished list of clients and there is no harm starting at the top.

ChrryBlssmGrrl

Paranormal Princess
Registered
Reaction score
yep - for a country that is supposed to be so full of writers maybe we could do with a few more agents ;)

thanks for your feedback - I'll email and see what happens. No harm in trying!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
In my experience UK (and by extension Irish) agents don't object to being phoned to ask for their submission requirements

DoniTamblyn

Registered
Reaction score
“The most famous agent in Ireland” really seems quite an enigma--no one knows much about her. She's quoted as saying, “Writing is a vocation and a gift. Great writers seem to weave magic spells and seduce you with their language; their work transports you to another place. That’s the sort of writer that stands out, that I would pluck from the slush pile. I do take on unsolicited manuscripts, but very, very rarely.” So you'd think she leans strongly toward literary fiction. But in fact, she currently reps a lot of what looks like chick lit.

Mustikka333

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any updated info about this agent? It's hard to find out about her online (she has a limited online presence) and I'd be very interested in knowing what she's like to work with.