The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arctic Wolf Publishing

Arctic Wolf Publishing

Does anyone know anything about Arctic Wolf Publishing?
    http://www.arcticwolfpublishing.com
    http://www.myspace.com/arcticwolfpublishing

The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ireland.
    They claim to have "collaborated" with an expensive self-publishing company (Outskirts Press) to produce three of their 6 book offerings? They think Amazon and B&N are major distributors?

Oiy.

Pass.

Me thinks maybe the author of the three self-pubbed books is behind this company. (I use that word loosely.)

Out of curiousity, how did you find them?
    Last edited by brianm; 02-02-2008 at 06:29 PM.
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

"Opera singers have resonance where their brains ought to be." Anna Russell

Not much to go on here. Seems like a new start up POD with 3-4 books out. Distribution is limited to online stores. No mention of personal industry experience or staff names, which is a crux, since you don't know who you're dealing with. Never heard of them. I like the graphics of the website, but that means nothing as far as where this company is headed and where they can take you.

For as small as they are, they should really specialize in genre more.

And of course they proclaim to be looking out for the little guy, which is okay I guess. But were the publishers also unpublished little guys themselves?

Wait for more comments. Proceed with caution.

Chris

I found out about them from an email I received from Brandon Ford (who belongs to a YahooGroup I am a member of). He has a new book out from them, so I went to check them out. I asked him for more info on the publisher, but I haven't heard back yet.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    The publisher's own books are part of Arctic Wolf's catalog. That didn't really bother me much because I'm concerned with MY book, which Doug did a good job on. He designed my cover, which I've gotten lots of compliments on, he's faithful with sales reports and royalty checks, he answers my email and he's been diligent about my requests to get my book on Amazon Kindle and for sale at the Horror Mall. No advance, which I wasn't thrilled about, but he was willing to take a chance on my backwards way of doing things (publishing a collection before any novels), which I was very happy about.

Short version? New and untested to be sure, but Doug's got the right idea on care and support. From an author's perspective, I can see Arctic Wolf becoming an established small press entity in time. I'll field any questions sent to me at lincoln@lincolncrisler.com

The force is strong in this one. williemeikle's Avatar
    They'll let anybody in here

Hi Lincoln, and welcome to another madhouse.

Willie

Quote Originally Posted by williemeikle View Post
    They'll let anybody in here
    Apparently so. Still, better you and I than some people we could think of.

figuring it all out

Anybody got say about Articwolf publishing

I got a heads up from the editor after submitting a manuscript in January 08 but at the time they had stopped taking new work and he advised me to contact him in November 08.He said he has to turn it down because submissions for 2008 was over but my manuscript he liked and was looking forward to seeing it in the pile of 2009 submissions, stating also that i remind him of this email he sent with all the good buzz so that i get the royal treatment.Since then i was kind of reluctant because they seem small and besides the net,i don't see much exposure from them.Anybody got the low down on this publisher and if i should accept the offer.

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go Gravity's Avatar
    Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
    Google 'em.
    Cameron Bane

PITFALL now out through WildBlue Press, August 2015

www.cameronbanebooks.com

figuring it all out
    Google has nothing worth wild on them.No mention of good or bad.Their site seems pretty descent though but they are small

practical experience, FTW frandavea's Avatar
    My story is similar to overfiend's. Doug requesed a partial and like it, but said they wouldn't be making any decisions until November. They're still holding my YZ manuscript and asked me to drop a reminder in November.

I also contacted a few authors who've published with Artic Wolf. Both seemed happy with how their work has been handled.
    D.M. Anderson
    http://dmanderson.blogspot.com
    http://twitter.com/frandavea

Killer Cows (Echelon Press) - Paperback or kindle at www.amazon.com Ebook: www.fictionwise.com .
    Shaken (Echelon Press)
    With the Wicked (on submission)
    The Dark Ride - WIP

Hmm.. sounds good... who else has tried Arctic wolf?
    Last edited by salamangkiro; 04-13-2009 at 02:19 PM.

Banned
    From their About Us page:
    Through our exclusive access to the latest printing technology, Arctic Wolf offers individual authors the chance at getting their book published the right way. All published works are circulated through the major distribution channels including Ingram, Baker & Taylor, Bertrams, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble… just to name a few.
    This means they're a PODcompany - meaning their primary . They have no distribution other than having their titles listed in the distribution warehouses. They do not have sales teams going out and pitching their catalogue to the genre buyers, they won't get reviews from the trade magazines. They won't be on store shelves.
    Arctic Wolf would like to give the little guy a chance, and as always we welcome your submissions.
    This is a lovely thought, but benevolence doesn't pay the bills. They need to show how those books will be sold. Do they offer promotion and marketing, or do they depend on their authors to be their sole source of promotion? Do they depend on their authors to be their sole source of income - as many Print on Demand companies do?

Before you leap into any company, know exactly what you expect for your publishing experience and seek out the companies who can accomplish that goal. Being successful via POD is difficult unless you're willing to work very, very hard because most mainstream channels are already closed to you.

Got the hang of it, here tbrosz's Avatar
    I don't know about brick stores or major distribution companies, but a lot of the books they list on their "authors" page are in stock at Amazon.

I don't know how much promotion they put into things, and there may be other issues, but at least they pass my "nothing on Amazon" red flag.

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan M.R.J. Le Blanc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tbrosz View Post
    I don't know about brick stores or major distribution companies, but a lot of the books they list on their "authors" page are in stock at Amazon.

I don't know how much promotion they put into things, and there may be other issues, but at least they pass my "nothing on Amazon" red flag.
    It doesn't mean much.

All it means to be listed on Amazon is that your book has an ISBN and can be ordered. I could self-publish and get listed on Amazon. Don't equate Amazon listings with distribution, because the two are not equal. PA books are listed on Amazon, and they don't have distribution.
    Follow me on my Blog
    I'm also on Facebook
    I have a Dragon Cave

Got the hang of it, here tbrosz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M.R.J. Le Blanc View Post
    It doesn't mean much.

All it means to be listed on Amazon is that your book has an ISBN and can be ordered. I could self-publish and get listed on Amazon. Don't equate Amazon listings with distribution, because the two are not equal. PA books are listed on Amazon, and they don't have distribution.
    You might be right--again, I'm no expert in distribution issues. But I was under the impression that "in stock" with Amazon meant they had them in boxes in their warehouse, not that they were simply reordering them from another vendor.

Unhappy

You might be right--again, I'm no expert in distribution issues. But I was under the impression that "in stock" with Amazon meant they had them in boxes in their warehouse, not that they were simply reordering them from another vendor.
    Nope.
    D.M. Anderson

Killer Cows (Echelon Press) - Paperback or kindle at www.amazon.com Ebook: www.fictionwise.com .
    Shaken (Echelon Press)
    The Dark Ride - WIP

Banned

Having a book listed on Amazon is achingly easy to accomplish. This merely means the book is available for purchase online. But readers have to know the book exists, and that is done through marketing and promotion from the publisher along with their sales teams pitching to the genre buyers.

I doubt they put much promotion into their books because it's expensive. Their About Us page stresses the rapidity in which they get the books published and out the door. This gives retailers and trade reviewers zero lead time in which to review their catalogue.

For those of you thinking of querying...Doug the editor has said their plate is pretty full as of right now.
    D.M. Anderson

Shaken (Echelon Press)
    The Dark Ride - WIP

I queried AW about a year ago for my novel, Anything But Ordinary. Immediately, Doug wrote back and informed me he would be interested in the manuscript. Everything moved along and all went very well.

In short, they're a small press, just getting off the ground. He and the (very small) staff at AWP are professional all the way. They've been most helpful in dealing with my publicist, with book stores, and with bulk orders. Never once has an email gone unanswered for more than 12 hours.

If you're a small author looking to get your first book in print and have something they like, I whole-heartedly recommend them. And, while I'm taking a moment to answer this thread (the reason I signed up for the water cooler, btw,) I thought I'd answer something someone else above said.

No, AWP does not have a huge marketing department to go out and sell your book as part of their extensive genre catalog. They don't do large ads in trade magazines and they don't shop your book around. But I don't expect them to. I'm a small author in a small market with a small book.

If you want big-time treatment, you go to a big-time publisher. Period. So your criticism is invalid.

practical experience, FTW rejectME's Avatar
    So I was looking at the website for these folks and I found it rather odd that they don't sell the books on the site. I had to go to the author's link and in all but one case, would have to go to the webpage of the author. I guess I don't see how this publisher could make money unless they are subsidy.
    Please check out and "Like" my Facebook author page for info on current publications, WIP, and non-fiction work. If you have a page, I'd be happy to return the favor!

"In the end, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it." ~Norman McLain

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeldevault View Post
    If you want big-time treatment, you go to a big-time publisher. Period. So your criticism is invalid.
    Other small presses, including POD presses, are on Ingrams and on chain store shelves. So your criticism of that criticism is invalid

But in any case, saying they don't have distribution is a point of fact, not a criticism.
    Emily Veinglory

Plodding around into things. grizzletoad1's Avatar

Arctic Wolf Press

Has anyone heard of this company? are they reputable or is this a place to be avoided?
    Sometimes, stuff happens!
    Check out my website and blog at www.therailroadman.com and like my Facebook Page at The Railroad Man.

Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at iCraft

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar
    Here's a link to an older thread about them: <snipped>
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 08-29-2012 at 05:19 AM. Reason: threads merged, thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast