• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

New Writing Scam to Get Access to Your Financial Info?

Tish Davidson

I wanted to pass on this link to a story in Writers Weekly about a possible new scam to drain your bank account. It is alleged that an overseas paying publication "accepts" your article, but refuses to pay except by direct funds transfer. This requires that you give them financial information that allows access to the funds in your account. A new twist on an old scam? Please take a look. It looks shady to me, but something unsuspecting writers could easily fall for.

www.writersweekly.com/the...22004.html

James D Macdonald

Is the reported case the same as <a href="http://p197.ezboard.com/fabsolutewritefrm11.showMessage?topicID=313.topic" target="_new">this one?</a>

Tish Davidson

If it isn't the same, it is similar. Angela said in this current posting that she did not know the name of the alleged publisher, which makes me think it is a different complaint, but the same scam. Maybe this disease is spreading.

HapiSofi

Why would a marginal publishing operation insist on a fast, sure method of payment? If they sent checks, it would take longer for the money to arrive, and longer still for the checks to be cashed and the payments debited from their account. If a check went astray, there's be further delays, and they'd be able to virtuously confirm that they had cut check number number N on thus-and such date. Eventually the check would turn up; or, if it didn't, there'd be yet more delay while they cut a new check and mailed it out.

There aren't many small-fry publishers who wouldn't think that was all to the good. So why should these guys insist on using a faster method?