What to do, what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
So, here I am, my 2nd book is in production right now. I'll expect to get the first pages for review at the beginning of April.

I need to work on the concept for the next book (actually, I'm ready to do that, but my editor is currently fully occupied on production of the current one). I don't want to invest a whole lot of time in developing book #3 (I'm a non-fiction writer, so I don't do this on spec), until we've agreed on the topic and a bare bones outline.

I'm lined up to write a series of articles, but they might take one or two days a month at most. The next one's not due until the end of February and I find I'm much more efficient if I write them closer to the deadline.

So, what should I do to keep my writing momentum going? Try some poetry? Revisit that dead, 3/4 completed novel accumulating dust on the shelf? Take a break from writing so that I'll be all revved up and ready to go when the time comes?

Edit some of my knitting designs and publish some new patterns (this is probably what I should be doing, since I haven't published anything new in a long time, but it also doesn't interest me at the moment).

What would you do?

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Maggie,
I just sent in a manuscript for a nf book a couple of weeks ago, and I also had that really unpleasant loose-ends feeling. I always think I'm going to be thrilled when i'm done with a book, but it's usually just sort a let-down not to have a deadline sitting on my shoulder. I took a couple of weeks off, read some cheesy detective novels (my favorite kind), watched a lot of Discovery tv, and now feel recharged and ready to start thinking about new projects. So my advice is to take a little break and let your creative self simmer for a bit. It seems to help me, anyway.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
Since you write knitting books, I can see where settling in with some yarn and needles might not really feel like a break to you, the way it would to me.

I say, get out that old novel. And take walks.

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
Woo-hoo, I'm gonna tell my family that my writing mentors say I should lie around all day in my pajamas and read novels. Of course, I still have to go to my day job, and it occurs to me that I've got to do the taxes this weekend, and then there's the trip to Tacoma to teach in two weeks. But I should at least get one or two mornings off!

Thanks for your advice.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Catch up on everyting you've been wanting to do: poetry, knitting, hiking, seeing classic B&W movies, whatever you need to recharge and renew.

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
What I really need to catch up on is exercise, eating less, doing laundry, and balancing the checking account. ::sigh::

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First, kudos on getting the second book out, Maggie.

Second, I agree with everyone. Enjoy yourself and focus on the non-writing aspects of life. But if the fiction bug calls you, then by all means, pull out the novel and play with it if you want to.

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
Congratulations on the book! It sounds like you deserve a break from writing for a while. But I do agree that you need to keep that momentum going. If I was you, I'd try a different kind of writing; something you've never done before. Write a poem, write a play, write a short story. You never know - you could unearth a talent you didn't know you had!

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on completing that second book, Maggie. Now take a break from writing. You can tell your muse to come visit me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.