The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Prod. co.] The Vine Studio (formerly The Vine Entertainment)

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

[Prod. co.] The Vine Studio (formerly The Vine Entertainment)

I've checked their website (www.thevineent.com) which doesn't reveal much. Does anyone have any more pertinent info on them? I've searched the posts here in Absolute write, but came up emptyhanded. They requested a full script from me last September and just now emailed me to call them at my convenience. The email came from a Sr. VP of Creative Affairs and New Works. Yeah, I know, quite an impressive title. But a title is just a title, I think, unless the organization is actually a reputable one. Would appreciate a heads up or a thumbs up from anyone who's in the know, or who's had personal experience with them. Thanks much.

angilo
    Well, I think the website tells a lot. Plus I did some reasearch google on the "team" members and there was a lot of interesting information. For instance, they landed that $60 million dollar deal to produces six features at $10 million each (which was the most notable). In addition, I spoke with Eric Gould earlier today and he seems like a pretty stand up guy. So, I supposed you'd just have to jump in there and see. I mean half of the business is a gamble, so ... all I can say is hopefully it won't hurt to try.

Angry THE VINE ENT: SCAM ARTISTS

i know the VINE; they're scam artists. first they're in movies, now they say they're in tv...

they just try to get their fingers in as many pies as possible, including trying to make wannabe writers pay to produce THEIR OWN screenplays. um, if you're a serious writer, then fronting your own money for a project you've written would lend you about as much credibility as...a slimy bunch of guys called the VINE.

they might have a cool website, but a website does NOT a trustworthy company make. they contacted a friend of mine to see if they could make him pay to produce his own screenplay. when he questioned them with very sound logic (see above), they were quick to become abusive and charge 'you'll never make it in this business.'

caveat emptor.

Sharing Knowledge

Texas Says The Vine Entertainment Practices are "Fraudulent"

Check this out. It is an Emergency Cease and Desist Order.
    www.ssb.state.tx.us/Enforcement/files/1665.pdf
    Read it carefully.

Item 7 says: "Respondents are representing that the purchase of a share in an equity investment unit is "real safe" and that, in a worst case scenario, investors will receive a return of their principal investment and a share of the net proceeds. These representations are materially misleading or otherwise likely to deceive the public because investors in Stroke of Genius are required to execute an investment agreement that indicates the United States television and motion picture industry is a highly speculative and risky business, and many film projects that are released do not generate sufficient income to generate net proceeds sufficient for investor recoupment or the distribution of additional net proceeds."

More: "Respondents are making an offer containing statements that are materially misleading and otherwise likely to deceive the public. Respondents are engaging in fraud in connection with the offer for sale of
    securities. Respondents' conduct, acts, and practices threaten immediate and irreparable public harm."

If the company in fact has $60 million like they broadcast on their website and in news releases, why are they asking any investor for money? This Cease and Desist Order shows that they are asking for $75,000 total...in increments of $5,000. If you had $60 million, why would you ask for $75,000.

Any dealings you have with the Vine, beware.
    If they give you a contract, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A LAWYER REViEW IT.
    Better yet, stay far away.
    Hollywood loves suckers.

I used to work for the Vine Entertainment. DO NOT FOR ANY REASON EVEN CONSIDER DOING BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY. They are con artists pure and simple. I worked for this company for almost a year. THEY DO NOT HAVE MONEY, THEY DO NOT HAVE MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR DEALS. They depend entirely on conning filmmakers and writers out of what little cash they have to underproduce films and shows that they have no intention of ever letting see the light of day. During my time at the Vine one filmmaker successfully sued them for $20,000. Myself, along with two other former employees were forced to make a case against them to the CA Division of Labor Standards Enforcement. They failed to even appear before the court and we were awarded collectively over $60,000. This company is CORRUPT. They will scam you. Stay as far away as possible and warn others. All of these cases should be a matter of public record at this point. If you are having trouble looking them up, use: VINE ENTERTAINMENT LLC (THE). I hope this information saves someone the trouble that this company caused me and many others.

Unfortunately these "Lack of Geniuses" came to Florida to shoot a new show called "Work Of Genius". Little did the crew no that they got run out of Texas for trying to secure funds for a show called "Stroke Of Genius". THEY LIE, THEY SCAM! They actually convinced a bunch of us to stay on the show to completion and convinced the Eden Roc Spa for the to stay and have free rooms. They scammed watches from Phillip Stien, bracelets from Rock Band and more that I don't even want to get into. Alot of crew members are trying to get a lien on the production, a few are in lawsuits now. They are in post production at New Art Studios in Miami after convincing them to do the post for them for free to get the show off the ground. They put the crew and artists through hell and they will pay! The director is back in LA to try to secure investors so he can pay the crew back and also get the remainder of the shows produced.
    I feel real bad for the artist who spent countless hours in the sun painting and when the show got put on hold for a couple of weeks when they bounced a bunch of checks to crew, locations, police etc. They had the artists paint murals all around the Eden Roc Hotel to secure their free stay at the hotel.
    Hopefully they will pay and be exposed for the scam artists they really are!
    Last edited by DragonSloth; 11-01-2009 at 12:29 AM.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Site is currently suspended. Recent activity is posting his resume, and commenting on the complaints against him (e.g.: http://www.scambook.com/report/view/...for-$12,000.00).
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: