• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Marie Brown Associates

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
They get a $ from P&E, but like any other literary agency, you want to make sure they represent the type of book you've written.

nicolesingslave

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolesingslave.buzznet.com

oshun55

Registered
Reaction score
Janell Agyeman

I was referred to her through an author I respect, however I can't seem to find any more writer feedback. Has anyone dealt with her at all?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Per this:
Janell Walden Agyeman has been a literary agent with Marie Brown Associates Literary Services since 1993. An industry veteran who encourages people everywhere to read and to write, she was a board member of the Miami Book Fair International for nearly 15 years before her recent move to Atlanta. Ms. Agyeman is seeking to acquire adult non-fiction in the following subject areas: health & wellness; spirituality; environment; current events; family & child development; memoirs & biography; African-American, Latino or African Diaspora history and culture topics. She is also seeking YA and middle grade: historical, contemporary fiction (fantasy okay, but no vampires), series and individual titles, and creative nonfiction in all subjects.
Agency alternatively listed as Marie Brown & Associates. I'm not finding any website for either permutation.

Evvie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dormroomdreamer.blogspot.com
Janell Agyeman

I actually dealt with her in January of 2010. I was referred to her by a friend's aunt actually. They were friends in NY and referred me. Janell was very kind, courteous, and timely. She gave me some constructive feedback, which definitely made sense. I also asked her for a recent list of her sales (even went and found the books in the YA section of Barnes & Nobles). They were legit---to publishers like: Hyperion, Simon & Shcuster, Kensington, Agate, & Urban Christian. She reps Sharon M. Draper. --Also these were her recent 2009 sales.

I didn't list the specifics books b/c I wasn't sure if that was okay or not. Just figured I'd let you know that she has sold to the bigger publishers.

Ultimately, she passed, but with great feedback. I think she has an established client base (plus I know she had been dealing w. some health issues this year) wouldn't rule her out.

oshun55

Registered
Reaction score
I actually dealt with her in January of 2010. I was referred to her by a friend's aunt actually. They were friends in NY and referred me. Janell was very kind, courteous, and timely. She gave me some constructive feedback, which definitely made sense. I also asked her for a recent list of her sales (even went and found the books in the YA section of Barnes & Nobles). They were legit---to publishers like: Hyperion, Simon & Shcuster, Kensington, Agate, & Urban Christian. She reps Sharon M. Draper. --Also these were her recent 2009 sales.

I didn't list the specifics books b/c I wasn't sure if that was okay or not. Just figured I'd let you know that she has sold to the bigger publishers.

Ultimately, she passed, but with great feedback. I think she has an established client base (plus I know she had been dealing w. some health issues this year) wouldn't rule her out.

Thanks for the information, Evvie!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Effective December 1, 2018:

Janell Walden Agyeman is no longer accepting new clients for agency representation. Please check back by Spring 2019 for news about her latest literary venture!

Nothing further, yet. Anyone have recent contact with either her or Ms. Brown?