• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Jennifer DeChiara Literary Agency

northwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
paulgreci.wordpress.com
I agree with Jeff. If she has your ms give her a chance to read it. I signed with Jennifer about ten days ago. She'd had my ms since July. She was my number one choice, too. Just like Jeff, I'm extremely happy.

Scubasteve4

Registered
Reaction score
I'm honored that Stephen Fraser requested my complete manuscript. It's with him now. My fingers are crossed.

bclement412

Registered
Reaction score
equeried ms. dechiara 10/30, still awaiting reply

scubasteve: how long did it take for them to respond to your initial query?

Last edited:

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I'm honored that Stephen Fraser requested my complete manuscript. It's with him now. My fingers are crossed.

Good luck with that, Scubasteve. I just mailed a partial to him today...

I sent my initial query, by the way, on October 31, didn't hear anything back, and re-queried on November 13 with my Gmail account (the initial went out with Yahoo). Apparently my query got lost, because Mr. Fraser didn't recognize it; he e-mailed me about an hour and a half after I sent my re-query to request the partial.

Bclement, their website says to requery them if you haven't heard back within two weeks. You might try that.

bclement412

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Krista G. I used a Gmail account, so I'm not sure what happened. I'll re-query today. Should I mention that I never received a response to my first one?

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Krista G. I used a Gmail account, so I'm not sure what happened. I'll re-query today. Should I mention that I never received a response to my first one?

I would. Just in case she did receive it and hasn't gotten to it for one reason or another.

JackinElgin

back for more
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
submitted to her and got my own query letter back with a hand written "Not for me thanks." Scrawled on it.

How should I feel about that? I mean Don't I rate a form letter? Are there multiple degrees of rejection and is this the lowest one?

Senora Verde

Teacher by day, YA writer by night
Registered
Reaction score
submitted to her and got my own query letter back with a hand written "Not for me thanks." Scrawled on it.

How should I feel about that? I mean Don't I rate a form letter? Are there multiple degrees of rejection and is this the lowest one?

Don't worry too much about it. I think that's just how she does business. Back in February when she was snail mail queries only, I received my query back in my SASE with a note to send the partial scrawled in the corner of the paper.

Cheer up, maybe this means your query got past an assistant, in which case the hand-written note is BETTER than a form letter. :)

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry too much about it. I think that's just how she does business. Back in February when she was snail mail queries only, I received my query back in my SASE with a note to send the partial scrawled in the corner of the paper.

Cheer up, maybe this means your query got past an assistant, in which case the hand-written note is BETTER than a form letter. :)

Ditto! And a handwritten note is better than no note at all... :)

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score

I think agents may send your own query letter back to you to prove that they read it and are, in fact, requesting or rejecting your specific project. At least you know they didn't accidentally reject you when they meant to reject Joe Schmoe and his 210,000-word memoir :)

Scubasteve4

Registered
Reaction score
It's a rejection for me. Stephen seemed like he'd be awesome to work with. He said mine was an "almost" and gave it a lot of consideration.

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
It's a rejection for me. Stephen seemed like he'd be awesome to work with. He said mine was an "almost" and gave it a lot of consideration.

That's too bad, Scubasteve. How long did he have it?

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
No month needed for mine :) I got my rejection yesterday, a slim five days after I mailed it. That makes the total turnaround time, from initial query to partial rejection, 19 days (although 13 of those were while my query was lost in cyberspace). At least he's speedy.

He said the voice seemed too old for young adult, which is interesting, since another agent rejected it because the voice seemed too young. Sigh.

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
I see from their web site that this agency now accepts only email queries.
They don't say how much material to send.
I was thinking of sending a short synopsis and 3 chapters (26 pages).
Is that enough/too much?

I googled the agency and found an interesting interview with Jenny. She likes loglines and short (one para) synopses!

Also, I hear that they've taken on a new agent: Dorothy Spencer. I'd like to send my query to her, but her email address in not listed on the web site.

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I'd be curious to know what's their response time on e-queries.
I sent mine in October and haven't heard back yet, not sure if that means I should assume an R or send a status check instead....

bclement412

Registered
Reaction score
I requeried two days ago, after 3 previous queries with no response.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I queried Jennifer on 10/23 and she rejected me 10/29 (this was a resend of an earlier query with no response).

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Ah! So I guess the general take is to query until she finally responds?