• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Wild Rose Press / Wildflowers Books

Royal Mustard

Registered
Reaction score
"
I think saying a lot of authors didn't make their $25 per quarter in sales is only even somewhat accurate if you are the one cutting the checks. How do you know it was a lot? From complaints on the author loop? Do you personally know the hundreds of authors signed to TWRP? It is at best your guestimate."

Actually that's one of the things principal Rhonda Penders is prone to discussing on the author loop: "I know most of you didn't make enough to get a check this quarter, but I know what it's like to need $10.00 to buy milk, so if you email me, we'll see what we can do."

That was another reason I ditched them, her indiscretion and over-sharing, to put it euphemistically.

AmberS

Baby author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoramberlin.com
Self publishing with Wild Rose Press

Not sure if this has been mentioned here before:

"Wildflowers Books is the self-publishing arm of The Wild Rose Press, Inc. Through Wildflowers Books, you can publish any genre of your work and have it distributed to a wide array of retailers such as Kobo, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, Copia, and others in both electronic and/or trade print paperback."

http://www.wildflowersbooks.com/

lbwilde

Romance Writer in the making :)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lbwilde.com
Well, I have read through the good, bad and sometimes ugly comments about WRP. I have recently sent in a query to them and they have asked for a partial. The email I received back was personally written and very professional. I have sent them a partial and now I am just waiting to see were it goes from here. It would be nice to find a home for my first novel and I have had my fair share of "no we're not interested" or "your book doesnt fit for us" etc. It's nice when they do request something more than just a query.

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
If it is, it's returning this error message:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I found that they are actually here, also by Googling.

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
The website worked fine for me this morning, and the one you mentioned didn't. Now it seems like it's the other way around...Strange.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
For those new to TWRP, my first book was with them, and they gave it good distribution, fair author copy prices with not crazy shipping costs to Canada, and an all around positive vibe. Yes, they have lots of authors, and yes, sales can be minuscule, but that might just have been my experience. Others might get better exposure and higher numbers.

Kastil

Writing Whore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kastil.wordpress.com
The Wild Rose Press just acquired Still Moments Publishing. I was an author with SMP and the rights to my stories were reverted back to me as TWRP was only keeping a select few. My stuff wasn't exactly all 'closed doors' so I'm cool with the decision. :)

Fae Sutherland

Registered
Reaction score
Website
faesutherland.com
That self publishing thing is...uncomfortable. First they charge hundreds just for an ISBN and to convert to formats. Then they charge for cover art (also I've seen their cover art and the idea that it is worth or costs them anywhere close to a hundred bucks is...disingenuous at best). Then they charge for print cover art. Then they take 25% of the NET royalties? What else are they charging the author for in that NET amount? They already charged the author a minimum of three times by the end of the process! Any distribution costs and conversion costs is what the initial charge is supposed to be for, the cover art charges are also separate so what else is coming out of the cover price to get a 'Net' amount?

kelliewallace

Registered
Reaction score
The Wild Rose Press just acquired Still Moments Publishing. I was an author with SMP and the rights to my stories were reverted back to me as TWRP was only keeping a select few. My stuff wasn't exactly all 'closed doors' so I'm cool with the decision. :)

I saw that on Facebook. What's happening with SMP? Are they closing?

Mare

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maryjhicks.com
Thanks, guys...

I have a short story ready to submit, thanks for the list of agencies to be aware of. Anyone know anything about Wild Rose Press?

A friend said she thought they were okay.

lbwilde

Romance Writer in the making :)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lbwilde.com
What amazes me

I recently checked out a book that was released on March 2013 on Kindle saying it sold 120,871 copies!!!! The price is normally $4.99! This is a book distributed by WRP as the publisher so within a month it sold that many copies?! Kind of weird if you ask me but not like it can't happen and I would love that if it was me personally. Mind you this is paid sales according to Kindle with no reviews??!!!

FYI I checked out the product details so I really want to know
the truth?

Did the arthor make the money? Even 35% of those sales would be a nice income?!

It is "Masquerade" by Sarita Leone

Date it as todays stats for who knows how it will change.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
I recently checked out a book that was released on March 2013 on Kindle saying it sold 120,871 copies!!!! The price is normally $4.99! This is a book distributed by WRP as the publisher so within a month it sold that many copies?! Kind of weird if you ask me but not like it can't happen and I would love that if it was me personally. Mind you this is paid sales according to Kindle with no reviews??!!!

the truth?

If it's showing 120,000 or so as the rank, that means it's selling maybe a copy every few days or so at the time the rank holds at that number. And that's just ball park. Could be a little less or more depending on a number of things. It's not currently selling much at all.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com

the truth?

The number you're seeing is the Amazon Bestseller rank, not the number of sales the book has has. Like all rankings, the lower the number, the better.

Books with lower numbers (like in the hundreds) are consistently selling many many copies a day.

Books in the 100,000 range are selling a book every couple of days or so.

So, no. The book hasn't sold 120,871 copies. It has a rank of 120,871, and has probably sold maybe a couple dozen copies (a guess on my part, since it's been out two-ish weeks.)

If it has a rank, it's sold some copies.

But if you look at a book like Lover at Last by JR Ward... that book currently has a ranking of #36 in the Kindle store. She's selling lots and lots and lots of copies a day with that ranking. (Not just 36 copies). :)

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Amazon rankings work on some secret algorithm based on sales, time of day, moon phases, wind direction, and color of the purchaser's hair. Something could start out at a ranking of 120,871, sell 3 copies before lunch, and jump to 150.

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Amazon rankings work on some secret algorithm based on sales, time of day, moon phases, wind direction, and color of the purchaser's hair. Something could start out at a ranking of 120,871, sell 3 copies before lunch, and jump to 150.

Oh, if only it were that easy! It actually takes between 30-40 sales in one day to get the rank up to about 4,000 or so. Three sales in a day will probably get it between 30,000 and 50,000, depending on how close they are together. :)

thenewbie

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if their contract requires that they have rights of first refusal? Thanks.

Melinda505

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if their contract requires that they have rights of first refusal? Thanks.

Yes, their contract states first rights of refusal. However, you are not required to accept the contract if they offer one. It only means they get to look at the manuscript first.

Diana Green

Worlds of Imagination & Romance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dianagreenbooks.com
Lots of questions, but at least they're nice...

Currently I am contracted with Champagne Book Group, another smaller publisher. My experience with them has been positive, and so I thought I would also give Wild Rose Press a try, to expand my potential fan base, and also to showcase two different genres. Fantasy/romance with WRP, and Sci-Fi with CBG.

Reading this thread, does raise a lot of interesting questions about WRP. Still, I have to say, they are a very considerate publisher, when it comes to submitting material to them.

They responded quickly and seem make a genuine effort to keep the lines of communication open.