kress_explorers_door_in_the_alley

The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 19 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wild Rose Press / Wildflowers Books

The Wild Rose Press / Wildflowers Books

Nothing for P&E
    Goggled for complaints...none
    They do E and print

Does anyone have an opinion on this publisher?

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    URL?

Have you personally ever read any of their books? Have you ever seen one in a bookstore?

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    White Rose the sweet imprint of Wild Rose? They do some print (over 55k, as I recall) but I have yet to see them stocked in my local chain stores.
    Emily Veinglory

Right, it's the Inspirational romance imprint for them. I will start looking in bookstores for them.

Thanks

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW Khazarkhum's Avatar
    In the most recent RWR, there's an interview with Rhonda Penders, one of the owners of Wild Rose Press. In the article, she talks about self-promotion and she states that:

The big thing is no matter what promotion your publishing house might do, it's entirely up to the author to sell her book. No one cares about your book as much as you do.
    Is it just me, or is that eerily similar to the PA line about promotion?

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd MissLadyRae's Avatar
    Rhonda said once in an interview that they're working toward stocking their books in stores in the near future but they aren't quite there yet. I have a book coming out in the Faery Rose imprint so I can't really comment on the White Rose section but the editors and proofreaders I've worked with are very lovely and definitely know their stuff. Marketing sends your work out to romance reviewers and keeps you abreast of promotional opportunities via their groups.

TWRP is definitely small press so they can't really afford the big marketing dollars of the larger presses to do major marketing campaigns. I think that's what Rhonda meant in the above interview.

I'm happy with my pub experience there and would definitely submit more of my shorter works in the future.

Hope that helps!

In the article she says they have 60 full-time staff & 300 writers. That sounds a whole lot bigger than a micropress.

When I think 'micropress' I think of someplace with fewer than 10 people handling it.

paranormal interest Jennifer Robins's Avatar
    I have been offered a contract and had to do some revisions which I have. Looking foward to working with them.

Jennifer Robins
    www.jenniferrobins.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Khazarkhum View Post
    In the article she says they have 60 full-time staff & 300 writers.
    I don't know anything about this publisher, but I'm amazed they can pay 60 people if they don't have distribution. How do they sustain themselves?

Sockpuppet
    Probably from this:

There are, however, optional buy-ins for advanced marketing.
    Wonder what you get for that?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by edgyllama View Post
    Probably from this:
    There are, however, optional buy-ins for advanced marketing.
    Wonder what you get for that?
    I'm probably missing something here, but it's vital to know what that the optional buy-in for "advanced marketing" encompasses. Unless they're talking about cooperative advertising, I wonder why they don't do this advanced marketing as a matter of normal practice.

All I know is that A + B has got to equal C. By their own admission, they aren't in the stores. Considering they don't have distribution, it's illogical to believe that "advanced marketing" would make a large enough impact on sales in order to employ 60 employees. Like I said, I've possibly missed something.

Quote Originally Posted by priceless1 View Post
    I'm probably missing something here, but it's vital to know what that the optional buy-in for "advanced marketing" encompasses. Unless they're talking about cooperative advertising, I wonder why they don't do this advanced marketing as a matter of normal practice.

All I know is that A + B has got to equal C. By their own admission, they aren't in the stores. Considering they don't have distribution, it's illogical to believe that "advanced marketing" would make a large enough impact on sales in order to employ 60 employees. Like I said, I've possibly missed something.
    I'm still trying to figure out how a micropress/ebook publisher manages to pay 60 people in the first place.

If they're paid minimum wage, which is currently $7.15 in New York, that's $14,500/year. Multiply that by 60, you get $870,000. And that's the minimum. No benefits, no overhead. Just wages.

Now, if they allow most of the editors/staff to telecommute, that cuts down the need for a physical plant. But there's still servers & sites to maintain, plus whatever the print runs cost.

So a conservative estimate would be $1 million/year just to run it.
    Last edited by Khazarkhum; 01-21-2008 at 02:12 AM.

They do list about 60 staff. However, I suspect mainly part time or on royalty payments. 60 full time would be almsot impossible to believe based on the earning potential of 300 ebook authors.
    Emily Veinglory

No, their article states 60 full-time.

Yes, the article does indeed state it. But even with sales figures rather higher than this press seems to have, there is no way they are paying 60 full time wages. I would guess a mis-quote. Either than or someone is choosing to invest at least 10x more into the company than it yields in profits and I think Wild Rose are far too professional to do that.
    Emily Veinglory

I agree it doesn't make sense.

I hope they last. My sister has a book that would be great for one of their lines. Now I just have to convince her it's worthwhile. She's a real overachiever, and had the agents jumped for her the way she expected them to, she would be in heaven. They didn't, and she's been down on publishing ever since.

I've heard so many good things about Wild Rose, but then there's these oddities. I don't know what to think about them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Khazarkhum View Post

I've heard so many good things about Wild Rose, but then there's these oddities. I don't know what to think about them anymore.

Personally? I think there are other ebook publishers that have been in business for much longer that your sister could submit to. Just my opinion.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales Absolute Sage Susan Gable's Avatar
    I think some of their editors are paid royalties on the books they edit. So, no sales, no pay. Few sales, little pay.

This comes from a discussion I had with someone who used to edit for them. Not sure if she still does after the discussion we had regarding how she got paid.

Susan G.
    Susan Gable www.susangable.com
    As Good As His Word
    May 2011 - Harlequin Superromance
    The Family Plan - July 2010 Superromance

Your online computer-fixer-upper:
    www.PCWebDoc.com
    Fixing computers via the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Gable View Post
    I think some of their editors are paid royalties on the books they edit. So, no sales, no pay. Few sales, little pay.

This comes from a discussion I had with someone who used to edit for them. Not sure if she still does after the discussion we had regarding how she got paid.
    How does that work? The author gets royalties, but the editor, too? What about the publisher? How do they get their cut?

Is this a typical arrangement for the epubs/micros?

The publisher takes its share. Then the author gets there share.

Some small presses pay editors, copy editors and cover artists this way too. I consider it a bad idea. For a start why should an editor for a book in a sub-genre that sells well be paid more than one for a book in a genre that sells less well? They didn't choose the genre, the author did. Also it can be a stealth way to pay very low wages. But basically these salaries are 'costs'. A legit publisher should have the money to pay them, up front.

Just my opinion, natch.
    Emily Veinglory

Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    The publisher takes its share. Then the author gets there share.
    That's how I thought it worked.

Some small presses pay editors, copy editors and cover artists this way too. I consider it a bad idea. For a start why should an editor for a book in a sub-genre that sells well be paid more than one for a book in a genre that sells less well? They didn't choose the genre, the author did. Also it can be a stealth way to pay very low wages. But basically these salaries are 'costs'. A legit publisher should have the money to pay them, up front.
    How do they do this without running afoul of the IRS, among many others? Consider them as 'Independent contractors' ? Uncle Sam starts getting mighty interested in how those people are paying SSI et al.

Ouch, wrong their/there.

There is nothing to stop them paying piecework to anyone who accepts those terms as far as I know. I do wonder how it works re: minimum wage legislation.
    Emily Veinglory

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us at AW Popeyesays's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
    Ouch, wrong their/there.

There is nothing to stop them paying piecework to anyone who accepts those terms as far as I know. I do wonder how it works re: minimum wage legislation.

It works because these folks are NOT employees under the law, they are independent contractors.

Regards,
    Scott
    Okay, damnit, I blog http://cscottsaylorsbooks.blogspot.com/
    Sword of the Dajjal e-book, Published by BooksForABuck.com May, 2007 ISBN: 978-1-602-052-2 http://www.booksforabuck.com/sfpages...rd_dajjal.html
    Out in print early 2008 from Blu Phi'er
    Jars of Doom out mid 2008 from Blu Phi'er
    http://www.bluphier.com/

How do they call them staff? Are they edited by the company or by an individual? I can see how having them as independents could make for inconsistencies.

Page 1 of 19 123456711 ... LastLast