• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Zachary Shuster Harmsworth

rejectME

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about this agency? I had someone mention it to me the other day and it made me curious. Victoria or Dave, either of you know anything good or bad?

Cheers,

Jerry

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Zachary Shuster Harmsworth

What do you guys know about Zachary Shuster Harmsworth Literary Agency, specifically Mary Beth Chappel? This is their website, http://www.zshliterary.com/. Mary Beth Chappell has a dollar sign on P and E>

Last edited:

UrsusMinor

Registered
Reaction score
ZSH as a whole is a class act, representing some great writers. I have only heard good things about them.

I had some back and forth with Lane Zachary a few years ago, and though things didn't pan out, I found her to be very savvy, very literate, and very professional.

Can't help you with Mary Beth Chappel in particular, but the fact that she's at ZSH is a good sign, and I'd have no hesitations about querying anyone at the agency.

Good luck!

anchorman

Registered
Reaction score
Zachary Shuster Harmsworth

anyone have experience with these guys?

anchorman

Registered
Reaction score
thanks

They've already contacted me about my project, so it not an issue of sending them something blind. I am just tyring to determine what their overall reputation in the industry is .

Montage

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sydneywakefield.com
Not taking on YA

Just to update this thread, I queried Mary Beth Chappell today and she says she is not taking on much YA these days.

Novel Idea

Registered
Reaction score
Esmond Harmsworth is a wonderful, intelligent agent and a very nice man (with the best name in the business, LOL). He's got my full right now - and believe me, my fingers are double-crossed. He originally passed with a torrent of revision suggestions, and he happily agreed to read the new draft. I highly recommend this agency. He's a pro.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe one of the mods could change the misspelling in the thread title?

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Esmond Harmsworth is a wonderful, intelligent agent and a very nice man (with the best name in the business, LOL). He's got my full right now - and believe me, my fingers are double-crossed. He originally passed with a torrent of revision suggestions, and he happily agreed to read the new draft. I highly recommend this agency. He's a pro.

I hate to sound irreverent, but the very name of the agency gives me happy shivers. "Esmond Harmsworth" is indeed an extremely cool name.

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
I was rejected by Eve Bridburg, but she really liked my writing and told me that anything else I write she would love to read. She is a very thoughtful and kind person and a damn fine agent. Very good agency!

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
Just to update this thread, I queried Mary Beth Chappell today and she says she is not taking on much YA these days.

damn, i couldn't find this thread until after
i just queried and called my book YA.
(it is or isn't, depending on the agent, haha!)

but i sold it as YA to her.

honestly, my novel is pretty crossover and
i didn't write it with a YA audience in mind.
but i have had people told me it could be.

will keep you guys posted if i hear from
Chappell regarding my equer.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I emailed Mary Beth Chappell earlier tonight and she just requested a 10-day exclusive on my adult novel.

Although the site says they aren't accepting queries, Agent Query shows the emails of some of the ZHS agents.

Hopcus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasiahopcus.com
I hate to query if they say not to but on the other hand I figure what's the worst they can do? Blow me off? If I never contact them it will be the same result anyway. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

ExposingCorruption

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I hate to query if they say not to but on the other hand I figure what's the worst they can do? Blow me off? If I never contact them it will be the same result anyway. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

There is often contradictory information available. Sometimes the agent website will say no unsolicited queries; sometimes Agent Query will say no unsolicited queries; sometimes QueryTracker.net will say no unsolicited queries; etc....

If one site, like Agent Query, says that the agent isn't accepting unsolicited queries, I actually look for a site that says the agent is accepting queries, like LitMatch.net. I then reference that particular site. I've sent out several queires using that method.

I am hesitant to contact virtually every agent that won't accept unsolicited queries. There are so many agents that DO accept unsolicited queries.

Last edited:

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
10 day response to equery asking for full
ms from mary. no mention of exclusive. =X
if she doesn't, i won't! my first full request--
tho she has read nothing but the query.

wish me luck! EEEEE!

addendum : YA historical fantasy set in china.

finewritingfinewine

Registered
Reaction score
Ack! I sent my very first query to Eve Bridburg back in Sept. I didn't hear anything and assumed a 'no.' Then last night I was cleaning my spam filter and saw she had answered me almost immediately 6 months ago requesting a partial. Eek!

I just wrote a conciliatory note asking if she were still interested. I feel like such an idiot.

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
fine writing, that sucks!
i'm just glad it was still there after six months!
i always assumed spam was auto
deleted every week or some such.

i hope she says yes, fine! keep us posted!

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Do any of you guys know anything about Jen Gates? Thanks.