The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: DSM Agency (Doris S. Michaels)

DSM Agency (Doris S. Michaels)

Had anyone dealt with Doris S. Michaels or the DSM Agency? http://www.dsmagency.com/

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    No personal experience, but they are an established agency.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    No personal experience, but they are an established agency.
    But are they any good and do they have any connections? Even the 20 worst agencies are "established agencies."

When CaoPaux says they're an established agency, it means they're legitimate. Did you Google them? Read everything on their site? Look at their page on Publisher's Marketplace (if they have one)? Check the websites of their clients?

That's all basic research, and it's the first thing(s) you should do.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

I checked out their website and the other sources. I wanted to know if anyone has dealt with them.

Quote Originally Posted by ExposingCorruption View Post
    I checked out their website and the other sources. I wanted to know if anyone has dealt with them.
    Then why did you ask if they were any good and had the connections to make sales, if you already knew?
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

Quote Originally Posted by DecemberQuinn View Post
    Then why did you ask if they were any good and had the connections to make sales, if you already knew?
    Because I wanted CAO's opinion on how good they are and on their connections. PM only lists 3 sales for them in 2007. Besides, it's a moot point. I already queried them.
    Last edited by ExposingCorruption; 01-29-2008 at 01:42 PM.

Because I wanted CAO's opinion on how good they are and on their connections. PM only lists 3 sales for them in 2007. Besides, it's a moot point. I already queried them.

Good luck! They are absolutely legit. I've seen the books they list on their website in the major stores and for me that's the biggest test.
    <clickety to see my books

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think Iím disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti

"Established" in this context means "has sold books you've heard of to publishers which put books on shelves".

I invite y'all to check out the new Evaluating Agents & Publishers section in the the Index, under the How To Find An Agent... heading. </shameless plug>
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

She's a major player. Here are some of her credentials ..
    http://www.publishersmarketplace.com...rs/dsmichaels/. http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/peald.htm
    http://www.bardonchinese.com/right%2..._List_2008.pdf
    What she's NOT looking for:
    "Unfortunately, we are currently not interested in representing romance, coffee table books, art books, trivia, pop culture, humor, westerns, occult and supernatural, horror, poetry, textbooks, children’s books, picture books, film scripts, articles, cartoons and professional manuals."

I write in bed.
    Got a request today for a 2 week exclusive on a full. I had to be honest and tell them that there were a few other agents out there with partials/fulls, but went ahead and sent the full. Within an hour DSM sent me a rejection saying that my ms didn't "fit with their list."

Does this kind of thing happen a lot? This is the first time I've ever had an agent ask for an exclusive. I'm totally bummed because I've heard good things about this agency and feel like I've done something wrong.

Just the facts, please
    It could mean it just didn't fit with their list, nothing more, nothing less. Don't take it personally, and go to the next agent on your list. Good luck!

Ms. Michaels retired Nov '14. Clients ported to Sheree Bykofsky & Assocs.
    ICAO
    ---------