The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Carol Susan Roth Literary & Creative / Author's Best

Carol Susan Roth Literary & Creative / Author's Best

Has anyone had any experience with the Carol Susan Roth Agency?

practical experience, FTW kiwiauthor's Avatar
    http://www.authorsbest.com/ here's the link.

I already saw her website. That's why I was asking if anyone had any experience with her.

The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ireland.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExposingCorruption View Post
    I already saw her website. That's why I was asking if anyone had any experience with her.
    It's helpful when an OP provides a link when they ask a question in these threads. That's why KA provided one. It causes less confusion when companies or people have similar names.
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

"Opera singers have resonance where their brains ought to be." Anna Russell

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    IMO, the emphasis on marketing/PR makes her more of a packager than a literary agent. She has a good number of books "developed & sold", though, so she knows the business.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Quote Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
    IMO, the emphasis on marketing/PR makes her more of a packager than a literary agent. She has a good number of books "developed & sold", though, so she knows the business.
    Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly does a "packager" do?

Sockpuppet

According to the AbsoluteWrite article to which edgyllama directed me, a packager would not be a good choice as an agent. The article states, "Aside from a few exceptions, authors get paid a flat rate upon acceptance of the manuscript, and then they’re out of the picture. Also, many packagers won’t list your name as the author . . . Finally, this is usually a work-for-hire deal, which means the publisher owns all rights in perpetuity."

Sockpuppet
    Like if you write a Nancy Drew book.

Maybe a packager is a good choice for someone who writes a Nancy Drew book, but not for someone who writes a 180,000-word, narrative, nonfiction manuscript exposing deep-rooted corruption in the government and CIA.

new author

Unhappy Carol Susan Roth Literary Agency

Carol Roth died this past 2/2010 and the agency is not accepting any proposals. Can someone update P& E with this information?