• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Akashic Books

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
There's call for submissions that's shown up in a variety of internet posts. I couldn't find any information in a Google search on who was sponsoring this or publishing this. Anyone know anything? Puma

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: INDIAN COUNTRY ANTHOLOGY

An anthology of original noir short stories set in Indian Country will be released next year. The editors are seeking stories that take place in Indian Country, which includes Canadian reserves, U.S. reservations, Alaska, Hawaii, and Mexican Indian land, and/or stories that revolve around Native characters.

Stories may be historical, literary and/or crime fiction, as long as they are previously unpublished, and stories that take place in the Eastern or Southern United States are particularly needed.

Writers of First Nation ancestry are especially invited to submit. Emerging writers, as well as established authors, are encouraged to send their work.

Stories should be 3,000 - 6,000 words, and the deadline is May 15, 2008. Pay will be approximately $200, and rights revert back to the author. Direct any questions or send stories via e-mail to IndianCountryAnthology (at) gmail (dot) com.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Gotta love anonymous projects. :rolleyes: Anyone willing to email them for more info?

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
I e-mailed them, described my 8,500 word story, and was told they consider all submissions so I sent them my story. They also stated that they would answer all my questions later. I sure hope they're legit.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I sure hope they're legit.
The best policy is to determine that a company is legit before you submit to it.

Legitimate publishers and projects provide full information, including names, so you can check the people out. There's no good reason for a call for submissions to be anonymous.

- Victoria

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
AFAIK Akashic Books is a reputable small press

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Those Akashic {$Placename} Noir books are nicely produced, and libraries seem to buy them all as they come out. I don't think the call for submissions was handled in the most professional way, though; the other ones I've seen have been much clearer.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Lots of very left-leaning nonfiction of the politics and culture variety. Might be a good fit for someone writing that type of material.