The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Akashic Books

Akashic Books

There's call for submissions that's shown up in a variety of internet posts. I couldn't find any information in a Google search on who was sponsoring this or publishing this. Anyone know anything? Puma

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: INDIAN COUNTRY ANTHOLOGY

An anthology of original noir short stories set in Indian Country will be released next year. The editors are seeking stories that take place in Indian Country, which includes Canadian reserves, U.S. reservations, Alaska, Hawaii, and Mexican Indian land, and/or stories that revolve around Native characters.

Stories may be historical, literary and/or crime fiction, as long as they are previously unpublished, and stories that take place in the Eastern or Southern United States are particularly needed.

Writers of First Nation ancestry are especially invited to submit. Emerging writers, as well as established authors, are encouraged to send their work.

Stories should be 3,000 - 6,000 words, and the deadline is May 15, 2008. Pay will be approximately $200, and rights revert back to the author. Direct any questions or send stories via e-mail to IndianCountryAnthology (at) gmail (dot) com.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Gotta love anonymous projects. Anyone willing to email them for more info?
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW Tom Johnson's Avatar
    I e-mailed them, described my 8,500 word story, and was told they consider all submissions so I sent them my story. They also stated that they would answer all my questions later. I sure hope they're legit.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Johnson View Post
    I sure hope they're legit.
    The best policy is to determine that a company is legit before you submit to it.

Legitimate publishers and projects provide full information, including names, so you can check the people out. There's no good reason for a call for submissions to be anonymous.

- Victoria

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Do they have a publisher lined up? Who? What kind of distribution do they have? What kind of rates are they paying? What rights do they want?

Aha! Folks in our Western forum found an editor's name, Liz Martinez, which leads us to: http://www.akashicbooks.com/noirseries.htm, where Indian Country Noir is listed under "forthcoming" (way down the page).
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    AFAIK Akashic Books is a reputable small press

Those Akashic {$Placename} Noir books are nicely produced, and libraries seem to buy them all as they come out. I don't think the call for submissions was handled in the most professional way, though; the other ones I've seen have been much clearer.

practical experience, FTW jeseymour's Avatar
    As of today, website says not accepting submissions.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    I've heard that the Akashic contract is not overly author-friendly, but I've never actually seen one. I'd love to, if anyone would be willing to share...

- Victoria

Hotel St. George Press

Does anyone have any experience with Hotel St. George Press?

http://hotelstgeorgepress.com/

Thanks,

K.

Here's who's behind it: http://hotelstgeorgepress.com/tag/management/

The write-up at Boing Boing mentioned on the news page: http://www.boingboing.net/2009/02/11...-illusion.html
    ICAO
    ---------

Alas, Hotel St. George did not survive '10. It was apparently an imprint of Akashic, so I'll merge threads.
    ICAO
    ---------

Fresh link to home page: http://www.akashicbooks.com/
    ICAO
    ---------

Just the facts, please
    Lots of very left-leaning nonfiction of the politics and culture variety. Might be a good fit for someone writing that type of material.