• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Erin Murphy Literary Agency

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
That's excellent! I'd call that the best kind of lose you can have :)

I get the feeling my ms isn't ready...let alone my query. But I emailed her anyway ;)

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Ammi-Joan Paquette requested that I query her (she saw my pitch in the YAtopia pitch contest). She had good things to say about my query and first five pages, but she's passing it on to her co-agent, Erin Murphy. She's a great agent, I'm excited!

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome Becca! :D I got my own rejection from Ammi-Joan tonight, but it was a very kind one - she was very complimentary about my writing, even if she didn't think the project was right for her.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi peeps! Got a request for query + 5 pages from Ms. Paquette after she saw my tweet-length pitch on a pitch contest recently. My book is a MG contemp boy novel. I'm awfully excited to see what happens.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Erin Murphy read the first three chapters Ammi-Joan passed on to her and requested a full this evening :) Whoohoo!

Louisa

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone knows if she's into urban fantasy? I mean, if she considers it to be for young adult, regardless the age of the main character?

BethanyCM

Something clever here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethanycmorrow.com
Anyone knows if she's into urban fantasy? I mean, if she considers it to be for young adult, regardless the age of the main character?

I don't think anyone regards all urban fantasy to be young adult, since much of it isn't. Is that what you meant? She only reps Children's (picture book - ya). But she doesn't accept unsolicited queries either.

Louisa

Registered
Reaction score
What I mean is my novel could be suitable to young adult (it's dark, but not too dark, and has very little sex), but the MC is 25, so not a teen. I was wondering if the MC has to be a teen or not and, if not, if she would consider it. So, is anyone among you represented by this agency with a book in which the MC isn't a teen? See? I made it! I've just asked the right question!! :)

Louisa

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! That was helpful, I LOVE this site!

CharleyGirl

Glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fallingleaflets.blogspot.com
Hi! Just wondering if anyone queried Ammi-Joan Paquette after the online conference WriteOnCon (she said during her live panel chat that she would accept queries from WriteOnCon attendees). Just curious about response times :)

Thanks!

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
E-queried Ms. Paquette on 7/15/11 with the first chapter attached. She requested to look at the first fifty pages today. (FYI: She'd seen another manuscript via a Miss Snark's First Victim's secret agent contest, and though she rejected that one, she said she'd be interested in seeing whatever else I might write.)

The book is a 73K word YA contemporary fantasy.

BethanyCM

Something clever here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethanycmorrow.com
Ammi-Joan first emailed me in Feb of this year, after seeing a pitch of mine online. She requested a partial and ended up passing, but asked to see future work.

July 9th, I queried her with a different project.
July 27th, she requested a partial, which I sent that day.
Sept 28th, she requested the full.

I know she had her MG debut release earlier in September, which may account for the silence.

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
So excited to announce that Ms. Paquette judged last week's round of "An Agent's Inbox" on my blog! If you're getting ready to submit something to her and want some tips on how best to present your query and/or first page, you can check out the entries and her feedback here:

http://motherwrite.blogspot.com/2011_09_01_archive.html

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Currently on the website:

EMLA is closed to unsolicited queries or submissions. We consider queries that come to us by referral from industry professionals we know, and individual agents are open to queries from attendees of conferences where they speak.

As always, it never hurts to check in on the website from time to time.

BethanyCM

Something clever here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethanycmorrow.com
I think Krista's referring to how you should proceed when you are asked to query, which is what Ammi-Joan requests when she contacts writers.

Re my submission - Ammi-Joan responded to my full with an R&R on January 4th.

litgirl

Registered
Reaction score
As long as I have ever known them, they've been closed to unsolicited submissions. But they also are quite actively "out there," and if you really think your book would be a good match (yes, they are ONLY children's/YA), opportunities turn up on line fairly frequently to make contact--like the abovementioned contests.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
Ammi-Joan has also been known to visit QLH and contact writers with promising queries. I don't know if she still does that, though, or whether she does it with any kind of regularity, so contests, conferences, and referrals are much more reliable.

My interactions with her, however brief, have been lovely, and I've heard nothing but good things about her from others as well. I can't wait to send her my future work.