• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Erin Murphy Literary Agency

Girl Friday

Word Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Just thought I'd add my experience to this thread.

Ms Paquette requested my full through a contest mid-December 2012 (MG historical), then responded the following day asking for a bio and saying she was very excited to read it. She was very friendly and enthusiastic.

I didn't hear a peep after that, so I sent a gentle nudge three and a half months later, at the end of March. She replied five days later with a nice email saying she's been very busy lately and was still looking forward to reading it.

Will update if/when I hear anything else.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Yes, you have to be extremely patient with Joan (unless you can nudge with another offer - she seems to respond quite promptly then). I originally queried her a YEAR ago. I hope to be able to report more definitive news soon, but I can at least say that hope is still alive with her. And from my interactions with her, she's worth the wait!

Girl Friday

Word Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Heard back from Ms Paquette today, with a brief, but very nice pass and an offer to look at future work. So around four months to hear on a full. Will definitely query her with my new ms, she seems lovely.

And fingers crossed for you, Joy!

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Ms. Paquette finally passed on my most recent novel, but that was spurred because I had an offer of representation from another agent. She had many kind things to say, and seems (not just because of that) as though she'd be great to work with.

Good luck to everyone in the querying queue for her!

TheCakeNovelist

Magically delicious
Registered
Reaction score
Ms. Paquette finally passed on my most recent novel, but that was spurred because I had an offer of representation from another agent. She had many kind things to say, and seems (not just because of that) as though she'd be great to work with.

Good luck to everyone in the querying queue for her!

Congrats on your offer, Thedrellum!!!

ajvan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
returnofthebrickhouse.com
Ms. Paquette starred my PitMad pitch on December 4 last year and requested a query and 10 pages. Needless to say, I was pretty happy, since she was on my to-query list but only takes them via referral. I haven't heard anything since, which is why I'm scouring this thread, trying to get a handle on response times. :)

Sounds like she takes her time. Of course, less than a month has elapsed, but I wondered if she might get through ten pages more quickly.

RRK

I named the dog Indiana
Registered
Reaction score
She announced it on Twitter today, so I guess I can share now. I am delighted to say that I am now represented by Joan. Everything I've heard about her is amazing and all of my interactions with her have been terrific. I am thrilled to be part of this wonderful agency!

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
She announced it on Twitter today, so I guess I can share now. I am delighted to say that I am now represented by Joan. Everything I've heard about her is amazing and all of my interactions with her have been terrific. I am thrilled to be part of this wonderful agency!

Congratulations! That's so wonderful. Good luck on the road to publication!

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
EndlesssDestiny, don't think much has changed with this stellar kid lit Agency over the years. They still only accept queries from referrals (existing clients or publishers) and from attendees at conferences such as SCBWI, where they have been on the faculty (and sometimes they request via twitter pitches)

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
I had a Pitmad 'like' from Ms. Paquette and sent her the query and first ten pages, as requested. The next day I had a lovely e-mail with a request for the full. So of course, I am nervous. I haven't sent it yet because I am reading over the ms one more time. It should take me about a week so I'm hoping that time-frame for sending it out is all right. So far I've had 6 other requests for fulls after querying agents who 'liked' my Twitter pitch on Sept 8th. , and I'm feeling rather nervous. I'll get in touch with stats when I hear back on the full.
ETA: took the plunge and sent it!

Last edited:

SaraC

Registered
Reaction score
I have a full out with Tricia Lawrence that she requested during #pitmad in June. It's been three months, so I'm thinking about following up, but wondering if it is too soon. Maybe I'll wait another month.

SaraC

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, she is. I ended up emailing her because I did a partial R &R with someone else, and wanted her to have the updated full, especially since the R & R was mostly line edits. She said she was behind, and replaced ms I sent her with the updated one.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
I had a Twitter pitch 'like' from Erin Murphy on #Pitmad but Ms. Paquette is already reading my full. Should I e-mail Ms. Murphy and let her know, or just leave it until I get a response from my full, then try Ms. Murphy? If that's even allowed. She seems like she'd be an awesome agent also! Thx!

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I had a Twitter pitch 'like' from Erin Murphy on #Pitmad but Ms. Paquette is already reading my full. Should I e-mail Ms. Murphy and let her know, or just leave it until I get a response from my full, then try Ms. Murphy? If that's even allowed. She seems like she'd be an awesome agent also! Thx!

I once had Ms. Paquette and Ms. Lawrence request my manuscript at the same time through a similar series of events. I was upfront with both of them, and they both agreed to read and, if they both loved it, decide between themselves which of them would be best able to represent it. They both ended up passing when I got an offer from another agent, but it did surprise me that they were willing to review it at the same time.

Long paragraph short: I think it would be worth reaching out to Ms. Murphy, explaining the situation, and going from there. Good luck!

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
Per Publisher's Lunch, Kevin Lewis has joined the agency and will be focusing on author-illustrators and diverse voices. He was formerly an editor at Scholastic, Simon & Schuster, and Disney.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Anything new here? I know Ms Lawrence was open to SCBWI members after her interview in the Insight. Anyone sub then?

MS KIKI

Banned
Reaction score
I posted this in Agent or publisher? (and some other stuff) in General Publishing Discussions. I'll put it here too. Hope it helps answer your question.

If anyone has never been to querytracker take a look. It's an excellent everything agents site that is updated regularly. You can search for agents that rep your genre, find out how to submit to and contact an agent, learn about their response timeline, and read their wish lists. You can even create you own personal query tracker to keep on top of things.

https://querytracker.net/literary_agents.php

Last edited: