• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Erin Murphy Literary Agency

rtrgirl

Registered
Reaction score
So, Ammi-Joan is requesting from Query Letter Hell? I don't have a query there. I sent her a partial in January from the MSFV Secret Agent contest, which she rejected, and she seemed great. I see that she requests stuff, even though she doesn't take queries.

She's also an author, I saw the deal in Publisher's Marketplace for a middle grade book.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
She requested a partial from me from QLH for a different book.

And then she invited me to query her with future projects after she rejected that book and read some teasers on my blog. The full was for another novel altogether. When I sent the query, I added 10 pages because I didn't know what to do, but that seemed to be a good choice (partial from QLH vs. full from query with pages)

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
She requested sample pages from me when she came across my website. After the sample pages, she requested the full, but passed on it in the end. She did invite me to query her with future projects, which I thought was very nice of her.

herenow

Registered
Reaction score
I want to submit my MS to Erin I think its right up her alley! I am on the East Coast so coming face to face with her is unlikely. So somehow she has to find me? .... thinks.... wants her to read my Humorous Mid-grade Fantasy!

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe she's requested work based solely on queries, not sample pages. So that's what you'd want to have posted on your website. (Coming from a person who's paranoid about posting any of my actual novel on a public website.)

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
I just repped you about this, Katrina, but I'm pretty sure she requests based on both queries and sample pages :)

Empress Awesome

I bite. Taco look-a-likes beware.
Registered
Reaction score
Over there! Can't you see my canoe house?
Website
empressawesome.blogspot.com
I hope Erin or Ammi-Joan stop by the query hell. *hint hint* Haha! There's an awesome YA fantasy about demons that I think they should see... since I can't send them a query directly or anything.

I can cook and bake and play seven chords on the guitar ( pick a song in E or G, please) if that helps with your decision. Dinner and music!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe she's requested work based solely on queries, not sample pages. So that's what you'd want to have posted on your website. (Coming from a person who's paranoid about posting any of my actual novel on a public website.)
She's actually requested from both. From the query (in QLH), she might request a partial, but from blogs, she'll say, "Go ahead and query me" (which lets you send pages, and she requested a full off my query and pages).

jjacobs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jmjacobs.com
She requested a partial from me from QLH

I received a similar request about a week and a half ago. When I saw the title of the e-mail and the sender, I was confused. I hadn't even begun querying yet. The e-mail cleared everything up, and as you can imagine, I was thrilled to send her the first ten pages of my manuscript. I've heard nothing but great things about this agency and look forward to Joan's response.

Out of curiousity, Sage, have you heard back on your full?

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yes, ages ago. Sorry, I've been pretty bad about updating.

Queried: May 31
Requested full: June 12
Rejected: August 20

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Ms. Paquette 11/1 (she saw an excerpt on the Miss Snark's First Victim blog back in May and asked me to query her when I finished the project)
Partial request received 11/13
Partial sent 11/13

YA science fiction

I'll update when I hear back either way.

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Ammi-Joan Paquette e-mailed me from a contest entry I made at Query Tracker. She only asked for the first 5 pages, and a week later I got an R. However, even on just 5 pages she did provide a little feedback.

I was happily surprised to get any feedback on just 5 pages. She seems like a class act.

jjacobs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jmjacobs.com
Queried w/ first ten pages: 10/6
50-page partial requested: 10/21
Rejection: 11/19

The rejection was personalized and complimentary, which in some ways made it harder to stomach, but she offered to read my future work. My interactions with Ammi-Joan were encouraging, and I'd recommend her to others. Best of luck to those who still have work with her!

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score

The rejection was personalized and complimentary, which in some ways made it harder to stomach, but she offered to read my future work. My interactions with Ammi-Joan were encouraging, and I'd recommend her to others. Best of luck to those who still have work with her!

Sorry about that, jjacobs. An offer to read future work is great, though, especially from an agent who doesn't accept unsolicited queries.

Good luck with your other requests (and future queries :)).

MG writer

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from Ammi-Joan lately? I subbed the first 5 pages after a querytracker contest on 11/9 and haven't heard back yet. I noticed some others have already hear back- at what point should I status query?

Last edited:

honeysock

Tell me to leave. Please.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi RoseColoredSkies,

I see on your website that you're repped by Publish or Perish. Is this query for a different kind of project than what they represent?

HorsebackWriter

Dream at a gallop!
Registered
Reaction score
So sorry to hear of the rejection, Jjacobs.

Ammi-Joan is lovely. She read my last two manuscripts, requesting from me after she read the first ten pages of my previous ms on my blog.

She rejected it, and then, like you, invited me to send my next project, which I did. That was rejected because she already had a client with a ms with similar elements, but my point is, building a bridge with agents across projects is so much more than a rejection -- it's a step closer to rep, and validation of ones writing ability by a professional in the biz -- no small feat.

I've read stories of other writers sending projects to agents and eventually, due to the project being a story that resonates, or due to the writer's craft improving with each ms, the writer is eventually signed.

When I rec'd my offers in October, one offer came from this very scenario -- an agent who'd read and rejected my previous ms, who asked me to send the next project, which she offered on.

So, although the rejections sting, it does look like you're on your way! : )

Em

Last edited:

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Upgrade to full request received 12/16!
(Requested partial sent 11/13)

YA science fiction

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score