• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Erin Murphy Literary Agency

emandem

Registered
Reaction score
I had brief correspondence with her about a week ago...I think she is very busy right now but, as always, very professional and courteous concerning submissions. Madison, who are her associate agents--?

Madison

summertime...
Registered
Reaction score
Ammi-Joan Paquette is (I think) the only associate agent according to PM. I'm in correspondence with her about a manuscript... and just looking to hear more about the agency.

litgirl

Registered
Reaction score
She's looking at a revision I sent her a couple weeks ago...trying (unsuccessfully) not to think about it too much. (Which is naturally why I'm here, checking out what her current response times are like!)

Here's a list of all the books the agency has got out to date: http://www.indiebound.org/users/emla/lists

As to personal interaction, I don't know her assistant, but Erin's smart, savvy, and editorial-eyed. Very nice and professional.

MaryL

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marylindsey.com
I'm represented by this agency. Erin and Joan are professional, helpful, and everything I could ask for in a literary agency. You can not do better than this, IMO. I was agented before, so I was a bit cynical when I signed, but not anymore. It is a delight to be represented by such a class act.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Joan was browsing AW recently and requested three chapters from at least two people who had posted their queries in SYW (including me). She seems very nice, and sent me a confirmation shortly after I sent the chapters when I started querying.

(ETA: I was grateful for this thread at the time because, not being an agency that accepts unsolicited queries, I hadn't heard of them)

Last edited:

ILove2Write

Jaws has nightmares too
Registered
Reaction score
It says they only take queries by referral. Have you all been sending them unsolicited and still getting asked for partials?

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Well, for me, it was requested. I didn't query her.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
That partial was rejected yesterday. The rejection was very complimentary, and she told me exactly why she was rejecting. Also she was the first agent to compliment me with more than "great premise," which I'm very happy about.

cubofaslan

Registered
Reaction score
Does Joan respond to all queries, assuming they're referred? Or is she one who answers no with silence.

lvae

oh so shiny
Registered
Reaction score
She responds :) But you have to make it clear who referred you.

Feathers

emerging from the writing cave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.headdeskforwriters.blogspot.com
Does anyone have any experience with Joan that they could share? I got an email from her about my WIP, and I'm trying to do some research, but there really isn't a lot about her or the Erin Murphy Agency for that matter. (Although what people have said so far is pretty encouraging.)

What do people know about Joan, beside the fact that she's pretty new, and has the same submission policy as Erin?

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
Joan seems great. I won the Secret Agent Contest over at Miss Snark's First Victim and she requested a full and offered a twenty-five page critique as a result. She actually critiqued more then twenty-five pages of the MS -- more like forty, and her comments were really insightful and pretty awesome. She said she'd be happy to take a look at the revised manuscript. This week she sent me an email after reading a Teaser on my blog saying that it reminded her of how much she loved my writing, and she was looking forward to reading revisions -- she didn't have to do this, and I thought it was really lovely of her.

Also, if you search for Erin Murphy Lit on PM, you can see their agency page which lists several sales she's made :D

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Joan is building her client list. The agency is closed to queries, but she'll search AW for material she'd like to see from people and requests here. PM lists the agency as one of the top deal makers for YA and MG in the past 12 months. (#3 for MG, and #1 and #2 are Andrea Brown Literary Agency and Writers House, which seem to have more agents).

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Just got an invite to query Ms. Paquette with my current WIP (although I'm still months away from that stage, unfortunately). She saw an excerpt over on the Miss Snark's First Victim blog and was interested in seeing more.

So if you're interested in getting an invitation from Ms. Paquette, you may want to submit some material to that blog, as she seems to check it fairly regularly. (Authoress, who runs the blog, holds Secret Agent contests every month, but she also hosts other (non-contest) critique sessions in between.) Here's the link:

http://www.misssnarksfirstvictim.blogspot.com/

jscribbles

Who killed my sea monkeys?
Registered
Reaction score
Just got an invite to query Ms. Paquette with my current WIP (although I'm still months away from that stage, unfortunately). She saw an excerpt over on the Miss Snark's First Victim blog and was interested in seeing more.

So if you're interested in getting an invitation from Ms. Paquette, you may want to submit some material to that blog, as she seems to check it fairly regularly. (Authoress, who runs the blog, holds Secret Agent contests every month, but she also hosts other (non-contest) critique sessions in between.) Here's the link:

http://www.misssnarksfirstvictim.blogspot.com/

Which entry is yours, Krista?

She also asked me to query her recently, after seeing some of my work on SYW. She seems really nice.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen on various blogs that sometimes agents will take part in secret agent contests. Like the one on the blog linked above (miss snarks) or the one on Cornell DeVille . I think they have a few on querytracker (Jason Yarn judged one - but I can't find the link D: ) and the guide to literary agents blog too.

I know that Joan has done this too on the miss snark blog, but do you know of any she's been in where she's left public critiques of people's queries or whatever they submitted? I'd love to see what kind of notes she has for work that's been submitted to her. The stuff Ms. Chilton said on Cornell DeVille was really helpful.

Last edited:

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Roly, if you look at the January Secret Agent contest at MSFV and look in the comments section, you'll see comments from someone called "Secret Agent" critiquing/giving feedback on all fifty entries. That someone is Joan.

Also, Joan is my agent and she's absolutely fantabulous :D

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
coool thank you!

Yeah I saw your post on Goals and Accomplishments! I'm so psyched for you! Definitely keep us all updated on your success!!!

YooprGurl

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rondiolson.com
Unless you're conceited, having an agent make first contact throws up a red flag. I was very grateful for this thread, as Ammi-Joan Paquette does seem to frequent Absolute Write SYW. She requested a query then a partial from a query I had in Query Letter Hell. I also checked out their website http://emliterary.com and page on Publishers Marketplace http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/ErinMurphy. I am waiting for a response on the partial, but correspondence has been professional and timely.

In short, if Ammi-Joan requests something from you, don't freak out! She's legit! Send it!

UPDATE: I did get a "no" on my partial with a few very helpful reasons as to why. I'm not quite there yet, got to keep working on it. I guess I'll hold off on queries for now until I'm done with my new round of revisions.

Last edited:

Shiela

May the words be ever in your favor
Registered
Reaction score
Unless you're conceited, having an agent make first contact throws up a red flag. I was very grateful for this thread, as Ammi-Joan Paquette does seem to frequent Absolute Write SYW. She requested a query then a partial from a query I had in Query Letter Hell. I also checked out their website http://emliterary.com and page on Publishers Marketplace http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/members/ErinMurphy. I am waiting for a response on the partial, but correspondence has been professional and timely.

In short, if Ammi-Joan requests something from you, don't freak out! She's legit! Send it!

Thanks, yoop! She asked for mine today and I did freak out a little :) I feel better now. Let us know what happens!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Full request from Ammi-Joan today. She invited me to query her after seeing some teasers on my blog. I queried on May 31.