The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Jessica Kingsley Publishers

  1. #1
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10

    Jessica Kingsley Publishers

    I am looking for any feedback on Jessica Kingsley Publishers. They do primarily special needs books. Has anyone had experience with them? They are not on the list posted.

  2. #2
    Brian Boru brianm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ireland.
    Posts
    3,170
    Adding link.

    http://www.jkp.com/

    By the by, the James D. MacDonald shown as one of their authors is not our Uncle Jim.
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

    "Opera singers have resonance where their brains ought to be." Anna Russell

  3. #3
    Hapless Virago IceCreamEmpress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,442
    They certainly look quite legitimate, and Google shows that some of their books are on university reading lists.

  4. #4
    practical experience, FTW Dollywagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,028
    They are legit. We had a discussion on, I think, the children's boards some while ago (maybe a year) I think a member was offered publication by them.

  5. #5
    figuring it all out helga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    just outside the mainstream world
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by acornsinthelaundry View Post
    I am looking for any feedback on Jessica Kingsley Publishers. They do primarily special needs books. Has anyone had experience with them? They are not on the list posted.
    My experiences with JKP have been very good. (My book will be published soon -

    http://www.jkp.com/catalogue/book.ph.../9781843105862 )

  6. #6
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10
    Congrats! Thank you all. Helga, did you use a literary agent. They give submission guidelines but I wondered if you used and agent anyway? The book is great!

  7. #7
    figuring it all out helga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    just outside the mainstream world
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by acornsinthelaundry View Post
    Congrats! Thank you all. Helga, did you use a literary agent. They give submission guidelines but I wondered if you used and agent anyway? The book is great!
    Thanks.
    No, I did not use an agent. I tried to find one and sent a query (I know, I know I shouldn't have stopped there and should have tried again), recieved a formal letter of 'being unable to represent your work due to a full and active project list', and contacted the publisher directly. You can see the result on their website )

  8. #8
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10
    I love the idea! I am a Vet Tech and also being the mother of a son with autism, got a kick out of someone once saying "Cats are just autistic dogs"...I found that quite amusing. I will look for your book. When do you expect it to be published?

    I am going to send in proposals to JKP and possibly Future Horizons for my book. I wonder if it would be imposing to ask if I could mention your name and title?

  9. #9
    figuring it all out helga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    just outside the mainstream world
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by acornsinthelaundry View Post
    I love the idea! I am a Vet Tech and also being the mother of a son with autism, got a kick out of someone once saying "Cats are just autistic dogs"...I found that quite amusing. I will look for your book. When do you expect it to be published?
    I am going to send in proposals to JKP and possibly Future Horizons for my book. I wonder if it would be imposing to ask if I could mention your name and title?
    I hope it will be out in March.

    If your book is similar to mine (when you mention the competition), I think it will be fine. Otherwise, I'm just a beginner, so I'm not sure if it will help you.

  10. #10
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10
    Thanks, I amnot sure either.

    I will look for your book to come out. My book is similar in only that is about my son and our journey with autism.

  11. #11
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10
    Helga, are you doing your own marketing? Or will JKP do that?

  12. #12
    figuring it all out helga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    just outside the mainstream world
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by acornsinthelaundry View Post
    Helga, are you doing your own marketing? Or will JKP do that?

    The answer is - both.
    I've contacted 8 people (well known in the field) asking for endorsement. So far, five of them agreed and my editor e-mailed them a pdf of the book.
    Oh, and I've received an e-mail from the JKP Publicity department - they are planning the publicity campaign for the release of the book.

  13. #13
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10
    That is great! Thanks for the feedback...

  14. #14
    practical experience, FTW
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    154

    Smile Publishers outside of US:question

    Hi everyone,
    Does anyone have experience with publishing houses outside of the U.S?
    Is there a list of bewares for publishing houses? My guess is that it might be very hard to negotiate long distance, especially without an agent.
    Best wishes to everyone on each and every writing project.

    Writer Friend

  15. #15
    Crypto-fascist Soccer Mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Under your couch
    Posts
    18,608
    I'm moving this to Bewares and Background checks.
    <clickety to see my books


    Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

    Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

    I also Twitter & Facebook

    People think Iím disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti

  16. #16
    crazy spec fic writer L M Ashton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I'm not even sure I know anymore...
    Posts
    5,005
    Do you have specific countries/publishers in mind?

    I mean, I could tell you about some of the publishers in Sri Lanka, but I can't imagine anyone outside of this country wanting to know that information...

  17. #17
    banned as an incurable tosspot
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,651
    Probably the easiest way is to Google Country + Publishers. These days, I'm sure many communicate via email.

  18. #18
    practical experience, FTW
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    154

    Great Britain....

    Thinking of Jessica Kingsley Publisher, London, in particular.

  19. #19
    Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    6,605
    Quote Originally Posted by writer friend View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Does anyone have experience with publishing houses outside of the U.S?
    Is there a list of bewares for publishing houses? My guess is that it might be very hard to negotiate long distance, especially without an agent.
    Best wishes to everyone on each and every writing project.

    Writer Friend

    Everyone in publishing works by e-mail these days so why would it be a problem?

  20. #20
    crazy spec fic writer L M Ashton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I'm not even sure I know anymore...
    Posts
    5,005
    Quote Originally Posted by waylander View Post
    Everyone in publishing works by e-mail these days so why would it be a problem?
    Not true. There are still a lot of agents and publishers - in the US as well as many other countries - who do not accept email queries or submissions.

  21. #21
    volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    27,767
    Most of the existing bewares list I see cover publishers in countries other than the US.
    Emily Veinglory

  22. #22
    Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Coastal Desert
    Posts
    13,023
    New imprint: Singing Dragon
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

    II 2016: 2017:

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search