• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Miriam Altshuler Literary Agency

True calm

Registered
Reaction score
So give her the extra week?

Thanks for the response. And the suggestions for next time.

What I'm finding challenging is: if I send to all my best shots, and they say no. . .sure wish there were a magic camera into their brains. Except, of course, if such a camera were available for writers to use on agents, (and parents to use on children) I'm sure governments would be misusing it already. :)

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
My experience with Miriam was of an agent who is genuine and warm--but at at the end, when the time was up, and I assumed an R was in the works, non-communicative. I let it go for one more week, and then when there was no response to an email nudge, I then resumed subs.

DaisyViolet

Author of the YA novel "Echo".
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amandaclay.net
Question about experiences with this agency

Last November I sent out queries on my GLBT-YA. Reiko Davis at Miriam Altshuler quickly replied asking for a full ms. Very soon after that, she called me and told me how much she loved it and asked if I'd make some rewrites and if, in the meantime, I would be exclusive to them until a decision was made. I agreed, she gave me extensive editorial notes and I did the requested revision. I sent the revision in February of this year. Since then, about every 12 weeks I'll send a 'just wanting to touch base' email. She will reply with "It's been so busy, I'm sorry I have't gotten back to you. I am just about to look into your ms and I will be in touch ASAP". Sometimes she even says "I'll be in touch by the end of next week." And then I never hear anything until my next 'touch base'. She never says no, she never says yes, she just says that she's about to start and will get back with me very soon.

This is an excellent agency and their representation would be invaluable. Ms Davis herself is very smart and her editorial comments were incredibly helpful. Nonetheless, I am getting very frustrated. Is this typical? Does anyone else have any experience with situations like this? Am I just being impatient or is this odd?

Anything anyone has to say would be useful. Thanks for letting me vent.

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
Experiences like this can frustrate an author into subbing to other agencies, which is what I would be doing if I saw myself possibly getting caught in this trap.

However, in a professional sense, I would send Ms. Davis a polite email, and let her know you appreciate her interest, and that you will continue your query process. It's neither fair nor feasible for an agency to sit on a mss for so long without committing, and asking for R&R isn't committing, not without a contract is hand to rep you. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I totally agree with Maddie. No, that isn't normal, and no, you're not being impatient. Once you've turned in an exclusive revision, you shouldn't feel obligated to maintain it for much more than a month. I think you'd be well within your rights to send another check-in and let them know that you're revoking exclusivity but that you'll absolutely let them know if you receive another offer. Maybe that will even light a fire under them.

Good luck!

DaisyViolet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amandaclay.net
Thanks for your quick reply. I am on the verge of sending an email just like that. I've been holding off because it just seems like I'm SO CLOSE, but at this point I'm afraid it's just holding on to false hope. I had a few other agents ask for the full ms after I agreed to be exclusive. I think I'll just bite the bullet, say thank you and send the book elsewhere. Hopes dashed, but such is the biz, eh?

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Note that just because you're sending the book elsewhere doesn't mean that you're taking the manuscript from them--you are just ending the exclusivity. At least that's how I would phrase my e-mail.

Then, if she wants to read the manuscript, when she has time to dive in, she can (unless you've already received and accepted another offer by then).

DaisyViolet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amandaclay.net
Thanks again for everyone's input. I sent an email saying all these things: thank you and I'm ending the exclusivity, if she'd like to work together I'm still open and I'll let her know if I receive an offer elsewhere. Then I sent the ms to the other people who'd asked for it. I've had no response from anyone (herself included) but it's just been one day. We shall see.

Thanks again for all your help! I'm disappointed, but actually feel much better because I feel like I'm once again moving forward rather than just treading water and staring at my inbox.

Dave Veri

Registered
Reaction score
Reiko Davis of Miriam Altshuler Literary Agency

I queried my novel to Reiko Davis of Miriam Altshuler Literary Agency on Wednesday and got a request on Thursday. Pretty quick. It's a request for a full manuscript by PDF with a two-week turnaround. Nice. She did ask for an exclusive, but I have it out with two other agents at this time. We'll see. Crossing fingers. Does anyone know of Reiko Davis by the way? She seems new, but does have some sales. The agency seems to have a fine record itself. They're open to multi-cultural and alternative stories, it looks like. Thanks.

Dave Veri

Registered
Reaction score
A week to read a full.

Got a rejection from Reiko Davis after one week of a full request. Oh, well. What's next?