• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Miriam Altshuler Literary Agency

Dragon-lady

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
She has a pretty lengthy list of clients, it looks like. Francis Adams, Harriet Brown, Andrew Carroll, Robb Forman Dew, Barbara Esstman, George Foreman, Mitra Modarressi, Alex Sanchez....

Just a totally random sampling. And a lot of sales to her credit. I get the feeling a lot of agents feel like they don't need to bother giving info on their website since they get as many clients as they can handle anyway.

Last edited:

Prickly Pear

Registered
Reaction score
She read my full quickly, and responded with very encouraging, helpful comments.

ExposingCorruption

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
[Agent] Miriam Altshuler

Does anyone have any information on this agent? Her website says nothing about any sales she made since establishing her agency in 1994, although it says that she has offices in Red Hook, NY and in Manhattan.

http://www.miriamaltshulerliteraryagency.com/

Her profile at AgentQuery lists seven sales from 1996 to 2005. It doesn't look very impressive to me.

http://agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=96

Am I misjudging her?

Last edited:

ExposingCorruption

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score

ExposingCorruption

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Dragon-lady, where did you find her list of clients? Her profile at AgentQuery only lists seven sales from 1996 to 2005. I know that's probably just a few examples, but does she have any recent sales?

I noticed that her website states, "Any material sent should be single sided, double-spaced, and in twelve font." As it specifically says "any material," does that mean that she wants the query letter double-spaced?

Last edited:

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
A query letter is not a submission, per se. It's a letter that may generate an invitation to submit, but it is not a manuscript submission.

Regards,
Scott

Dragon-lady

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Dragon-lady, where did you find her list of clients? Her profile at AgentQuery only lists seven sales from 1996 to 2005. I know that's probably just a few examples, but does she have any recent sales?

I noticed that her website states, "Any material sent should be single sided, double-spaced, and in twelve font." As it specifically says "any material," does that mean that she wants the query letter double-spaced?
I searched her in Publishers Marketplace which is well worth the price of a subscription if you can.

Generally "material" applies to sample material and not to the query letter, I believe, but I won't swear to that. :)

I'll take a look at PM again and see what sales show there. It's a resource I couldn't do without--at least not while I'm still agent hunting. ;)

Edit: This shows why I so love PM. Here is a deal search on Miriam Altshuler:

Showing all 23 deals matching Miriam Altshuler (keywords). Results are sorted in reverse chronological order.

Categories of all matched deals: Children's: Young Adult (5); Foreign rights: Non-fiction (2); Non-fiction (2); Non-fiction: General/Other (2); Fiction (1); Fiction: General/Other (1); Film rights (1); Foreign rights: UK Non-fiction (1); Non-fiction: Advice/Relationships (1); Non-fiction: Biography (1); Non-fiction: Health (1); Non-fiction: History/Politics/Current Affairs (1); Non-fiction: Memoir (1); Non-fiction: Parenting (1); Non-fiction: Religion/Spirituality (1); Poetry (1)

I'm not going to quote the entire list of deals which is for the past 7 years. But the most recent:

10 January, 2008

Non-fiction:
Biography Adina Hoffman's MEASURE OF SPLENDOR: The Life and Times of Palestinian Poet Taha Muhammad Ali, to Ileene Smith at Yale University Press, by Miriam Altshuler at Miriam Altshuler Literary Agency

She appears to be heavily into non-fiction.

Last edited:

Bonnie Shimko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bonnieshimko.com
Miriam is my former agent. She's wonderful. She keeps a very low profile. She sells much more than she reports on the net. Any author would be extremely lucky to be represented by her. Good luck!

AKB

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had recent personal experience with Miriam Altshuler? She recently asked for my full ms and am hoping to get information other than can be obtained through the web.
Thanks!

LateNightLady

Yield to the beauty
Registered
Reaction score
Website
latenightlady.deviantart.com
Hello! I sent a snail mail query to Miriam and within a couple of days received a request for 50-100 pages.

I am curious if anyone has had the same experience and knows the amount of time it usual takes before this agent - or others - to respond back from a requested submission.

Thanks

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com
Back in April, she requested my full manuscript after a one page query and got back to me with a rather generic but polite pass about two weeks later. My project was young adult fantasy with gay characters - my sense is that fantasy is not her thing.

apathysam

Registered
Reaction score
Mailed query on 10/15
Received request for full ms on 10/18, sent same day
Kind rejection today, 10/31

I addressed the original query to Ms. Altschuler, but subsequent correspondence was with Cathy Schmitz. She was very professional.

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
Miriam Altschuler is selective about responding, but when I corresponded with her several years ago regarding a manuscript, she was the consummate professional.

gerrydodge

Registered
Reaction score
I queried her a few months ago and she asked for a full. Yesterday she emailed me with a lengthy discussion of the novel and said if I made some changes she would be happy to read again. Third agent in two weeks with the same response.

True calm

Registered
Reaction score
Miriam altshuler how to respond?

Finished my literary historical novel July 4th, after umpty-gazillion drafts. It's accessible but waaay literary. (Just the way it came out) Submitted to four agents on the July 6. With ms. Altshuler, I had a referral from a much lauded author, who said, tell her I have not read it but think she'd be interested.
Ms. Altshuler immediately asked for whole manuscript plus two week exclusive. I said yes, and politely pulled other submissions. The two weeks were up Monday, but I have not heard anything.

Do I noodge? Write it off (pun intended) and start submitting to others? I'd love to at least get her feedback before crashing other gates. Anybody with experience with Ms. Altshuler?

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Hi True!

I don't know about this agency, but just a thought for the next time (if she doesn't rep you): When an agent asks for an exclusive, and other agents are considering your partial or fulls, you can tell the agent that others are considering your work and it'd be hard to pull, and if she'd still be interested in reading the full. Most of the time, the agent says "Fine."

I'd email her next Monday if you don't hear back, since she stipulated it's an exclusive for those two weeks.

Best of luck!