So this is what Atalanta Nights is all about :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivonia

Zodiac Fleet Commander
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.sfwa.org/Beware/general.html#PA

Sorry, I don't always keep track of things that occur on this board, but I have heard people here mention Publish America (or PA), and another thing about a horrible, horrible book called "Atalanta Nights", but I was never able to exactly figure out what it was.

After checking the SFWA writer's beware website, I was intrigued by their "PublishAmerica hoax". After reading through it, I finally realized what many people here have been talking about.

I don't know if this has been posted here already, but in case it hasn't, this is for anyone interested in one of the bigger scandals going on. Check out some of the links, it's pretty funny hehe. And good work on exposing more wolves out there guys, keep us "ignorant sheep" from falling victim to them :)

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Heh--you guys will get the COOL copies, with the back cover blurbs from authors. I got one of the original ones with the plain back cover.

Ah well...*sigh* :)

Galoot

I am a pretty pretty flower
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thegaloot.blogspot.com
MacAllister said:
Heh--you guys will get the COOL copies, with the back cover blurbs from authors. I got one of the original ones with the plain back cover.

Ah well...*sigh* :)
You know darned well that's going to be worth something at the trading table ten years from now. :)

I absolutely must own a hard copy, and have added it to my Father's Day wish list. Some day, when I grow senile, I want to have at least one book I can understand.

BTW, James, if I wanted to be as annoying as possible to a certain traditional publisher, would I order it through lulu or at the special-orders desk? Can you track it either way?

Crunchy Frog

Registered
Reaction score
Ordered mine too!!

I ordered mine at a Borders today. I wish I'd ordered sooner. Robin Hobb is having a book signing on Mar. 23. I doubt I'll get my copy by then. Oh well. I hope she'll have another one soon.

Hi, Mac! I live in Seattle-ish area too :hi: (Eastside)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Galoot said:
BTW, James, if I wanted to be as annoying as possible to a certain traditional publisher, would I order it through lulu or at the special-orders desk? Can you track it either way?

The Lulu sales page (you need a password to see it) is updated hourly. The ones that are sold retail are marked "retail" so yes, I can tell.

Thank you all for making Atlanta Nights a Lulu.com best seller.

It's available at all major on-line bookstores, and in brick-and-mortar bookstores from sea to shining sea!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
How did you get the book onto book shelves?

Online book stores, I can understand. But actual brick-and-mortars? IMWTK.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I didn't get the book onto bookstore shelves, and, so far as I know, it isn't. The weasel word is "available." It's available in brick-and-mortar bookstores, over at the special order desk, just like the PublishAmerica books. To be available, all it needs is an ISBN.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Crunchy--I'm just north of Seattle. Where is Robin Hobb's signing? I'll take it in so she can sign her chapter. :) I really love her books.

I'm such a fan-girl, at heart. heh.

Vipersniper

Registered
Reaction score
Okay I am game.

:snoopy: This might be better than one of those double stamped quarters or the stamp that was worth $350,000.00. My mentor was looking for another book to buy and by golly I think we will buzz on down to Barnes and Noble.

alaskamatt17

Registered
Reaction score
Atlanta Nights

I heard about Atlanta Nights one day when I was supposed to be doing homework. I think it's awesome what Mr. MacDonald and those other authors did. Publish America needed to be exposed for the vanity press it truly is. And as for their comments about the quality of sci-fi and fantasy...

Anyways, I read a lot of Atlanta Nights. It was hilarious. I especially liked the chapter that was generated by a computer. The last chapter was really funny, too. I loved the paragraph with all the "No more..."s.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Don't forget to visit http://travistea.com it's a hoot!

I bought the book shortly after it came out and have an edition without inside blurbs (the first page in the book is the first page of text) according to the FAQs on the Travis Tea site my copy was one of the 4th run copies. I'm saving it for my retirement fund. :thankyou:

[font=trebuchet ms,arial,helv,times new roman][font=trebuchet ms,arial,helv,times new roman][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,arial,helv,times new roman]Q: "How many print editions of Atlanta Nights have there been?" [/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,arial,helv,times new roman]A: "The masterpiece in question underwent several "edition revisions" in trade paperback. There were 23 copies sold with the original generic back cover (no blurbs). Then came the first revision and 29 copies sold with the first lot of blurbs filling the back cover completely (no ISBN). Next, a very rare 7 copies were sold with the ISBN overwriting some of the blurbs. Then, came a run of 54 copies with back cover blurbs and non-overlaid ISBN, but no interior blurbs. Finally, the current edition contains the ISBN, blurbs in the back that stop short of the ISBN, and an expanded section of internal blurbs plus an afterword. Be sure to check your own copy to see if you have one of the original rare collectors editions (sure to bring in a fortune in the rare editions collectors market very soon)."[/font]

[/font]

Status
Not open for further replies.