• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Johnson Literary Agency (formerly Caren Johnson Lit. Agency)

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
My cp/wp is repped by Caren and adores her. She just sold a YA to Razorbill and a 3-book historical paranormal romance series to Tor.

Caren is apparently moving away from paranormals/UFs, though. She'll look at them, but I think she feels her stable is pretty full--that;s what she says on her blog.

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
hi december! this is my first post at absolute write! =D
i just queried her yesterday and received an email
for a partial and synopsis.
she does everything via email.

so she's accepting queries again!

caromora

Still alive. Kind of.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkstaind-stars.livejournal.com
I really like her blog--it gives a good indication of what she'd be like to work with, I think. She seems very enthusiastic and big on career planning.

Too bad I got a form rejection from her about an hour ago. :(

juneafternoon

Return of the Jedi
Registered
Reaction score
She started her own agency last year and she already looks solid enough. Goes to say something :) She sounds like a wonderful person to work with. Xiaotien, what became of the partial + synopsis?

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
equery 2/12
2/13 responded asking for synopsis and 3 chapters.
nudged to ask materials were received 3/13.

form ejection 3/16.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I wanted to add, not only did Caren just make another sale for my cp, but when the cp was having some issues with something work-related (I can't really go into details), Caren was incredibly supportive and really handled it for her.

Mythica

Expert Gerbil Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.courtneyallisonmoulton.com
I have a high opinion of Caren from reading her blog. It's definitely one of the ones I check every day! I decided to send a query to her today and received a partial request in about ten minutes. She seems very professional and knowledgeable. I'd love to have her as an agent!

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I think if you're going to come into the thread and start hinting that fishy things are afoot because clients are leaving, you should at least mention where you've seen that. The purpose of this thread is to help writers research this agent; if you have info it should be shared here, IMO.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I certainly didn't intend for any posts to be deleted, just that the original comment (which was, for the record, something along the lines of "A lot of Caren's clients are leaving her; I wonder why that is?") be backed up instead of left hanging (ICE asked for backup too, and was told she'd been sent a PM, which is why I said the evidence should be put here). I was just expressing an opinion that as it was, it wasn't helpful and could leave a bad taste in people's mouths for no reason; we haven't seen any evidence to decide whether or not the comment was true.

Last edited:

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
Caren may still be looking for Urban Fantasy--if it grabs her enough.

I say this because a few days back, I queried her about my YA UF series, and she responded within ten minutes, asking for a 100 page partial. Upon my sending it to her, she replied almost immediately, requesting a one week exclusive to review it. If this is any indication on how prompt and friendly she is to work with, I am praying she likes my work--well, I'm praying regardless, but you know what I mean. She expressed excitement over the concept, and this kind of a reaction is always so encouraging... until the endorphins wear off and you revert to wondering if they'll like what you've sent.

I should also mention you guys are fantastic. For the month I've been shopping my book around, I've referred to this forum more than I can believe. Many of you are so passionate and knowledgable; it's a great community and helps all of us shy lurkers. And it's so exciting reading about the partials and fulls you all have with various agents! Nothing like vicarious living!

So thank you!

Maui Author

Halfway between here and there
Registered
Reaction score
Caren may still be looking for Urban Fantasy--if it grabs her enough.

I say this because a few days back, I queried her about my YA UF series, and she responded within ten minutes, asking for a 100 page partial. Upon my sending it to her, she replied almost immediately, requesting a one week exclusive to review it.

Wow, that's awesome! She's had my partial for 3 weeks now, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, so what you're saying is, don't expect her to get back to me in a week? Which is fine with me; I wasn't even expecting her to be that fast with it.

How do you handle the pressure? She's had your partial for three weeks--that must feel like a year! Did she say how long she'd be with it? I'm not being nosy; I'm just trying to get a feel for expectations. Thanks, Maui!

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, so what you're saying is, don't expect her to get back to me in a week? Which is fine with me; I wasn't even expecting her to be that fast with it.

How do you handle the pressure? She's had your partial for three weeks--that must feel like a year! Did she say how long she'd be with it? I'm not being nosy; I'm just trying to get a feel for expectations. Thanks, Maui!

Gird yourself, Barber! I've had an agent respond to my partial in 3 days and I have one that's been in an agent's hands for 5 months now. Both are "normal" depending on the agent, and where the particular agent is in his or her reading stack when your pages hit.

You may hear back very soon but don't consider it to be a bad sign if you don't. This is a brutal business for the impatient (trust me!).

Welcome and congratulations on the great response. Caryn Johnson is a great agent!

Maui Author

Halfway between here and there
Registered
Reaction score

Since she did ask you for a week exclusive (which is awesome by the way) she might get back to you sooner.

As for the waiting pressure - all part of the writing game. I've had a full out for over a month now and I only try and think about it (and a few partials) when I check my e-mail first thing in the AM. After that, I try to put them out of my mind and work on my WIP. Of course "try" and "doing" are two different things, lol.

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
I try to put them out of my mind and work on my WIP. Of course "try" and "doing" are two different things.

LOL--word!

Thanks (Maui and Giant Baby) for giving me an idea of what to expect. Even though it's scary as hell, there's a lot of fun behind submitting, too.

Would you say it's common to mention in your query that it's a multiple submission? Could that be why she asked for a one week exclusivity? Sorry if I'm full of stupid questions; I guess I'm trying to suss out why I got that positive response...

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the specific entry welcoming Rachel Downes, with bio info.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I think she is pretty quick. I heard back in less than a week.

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
She's wicked-fast. Both times I've queried her (long story), she's gotten back to me within a couple hours, both times with a positive response.

This time around, I'm trying to not even think about it....

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
I know there are several AW's out there with partials to Caren. Has anyone heard back recently or done the nudge? Mine's been out the 8 weeks she mentions in her email.

jgold

Grinning
Registered
Reaction score
She requested a partial of mine in January. Two weeks later, she requested the full.

She sounded so friendly and sweet in her emails too.

I nudged her for a status query at the end of March and didn't hear anything until last week, when she sent a response to the nudge, which looked like a form query rejection.

To say I was annoyed is an understatement. Somehow, I get the impression that she doesn't like to be nudged.

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
She requested a partial of mine in January. Two weeks later, she requested the full.

She sounded so friendly and sweet in her emails too.

I nudged her for a status query at the end of March and didn't hear anything until last week, when she sent a response to the nudge, which looked like a form query rejection.

To say I was annoyed is an understatement. Somehow, I get the impression that she doesn't like to be nudged.

*puts her nudge back in its holster*

Thanks!