The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 15 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Johnson Literary Agency (formerly Caren Johnson Lit. Agency)

Johnson Literary Agency (formerly Caren Johnson Lit. Agency)

Hi -

Does anyone know anything about the Caren Johnson Literary Agency?

Thanks!
    blog
    twitter

Check out AW: Exposed, in which I interview AW members to discover who they are in real life and what they have to say about writing. Thursdays this winter! (This Thursday: Sage)

My cp/wp is repped by Caren and adores her. She just sold a YA to Razorbill and a 3-book historical paranormal romance series to Tor.

Caren is apparently moving away from paranormals/UFs, though. She'll look at them, but I think she feels her stable is pretty full--that;s what she says on her blog.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

bedazzled /bootay shaker!! xiaotien's Avatar
    hi december! this is my first post at absolute write! =D
    i just queried her yesterday and received an email
    for a partial and synopsis.
    she does everything via email.

so she's accepting queries again!

I really like her blog--it gives a good indication of what she'd be like to work with, I think. She seems very enthusiastic and big on career planning.

Too bad I got a form rejection from her about an hour ago.

practical experience, FTW Hopcus's Avatar
    She does seem great, however, I also got a form rejection from her on my e-query.

Return of the Jedi juneafternoon's Avatar
    She started her own agency last year and she already looks solid enough. Goes to say something She sounds like a wonderful person to work with. Xiaotien, what became of the partial + synopsis?
    - June
    Not my real name, but since everyone has taken to calling me that, I'll just go with the flow
    Current Musical Obsession: Electronica
    Genres: Trance, House, Techno, Dance
    Currently Reading: Teach Me by R.A. Nelson

bedazzled /bootay shaker!! xiaotien's Avatar
    equery 2/12
    2/13 responded asking for synopsis and 3 chapters.
    nudged to ask materials were received 3/13.

form ejection 3/16.

Silver Ph0enix (Greenwi11ow: 4/09)

Fury of the Ph0enix (Greenwi11ow: 3/11)

Diverse 3nergies anthology (Tu B00ks: 10/12)

visit my website :
    paint & prose

my brush art at etsy!

I wanted to add, not only did Caren just make another sale for my cp, but when the cp was having some issues with something work-related (I can't really go into details), Caren was incredibly supportive and really handled it for her.

Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

I have a high opinion of Caren from reading her blog. It's definitely one of the ones I check every day! I decided to send a query to her today and received a partial request in about ten minutes. She seems very professional and knowledgeable. I'd love to have her as an agent!
    http://www.courtneyallisonmoulton.com/
    http://courtney-allison.blogspot.com/
    http://twitter.com/camoulton

Author of the ANGELFIRE series from HarperCollins / Katherine Tegen Books

ANGELFIRE (2.15.2011)
    WINGS OF THE WICKED (2.1.2011)
    Angelfire #3 (TBA 2013)

I think if you're going to come into the thread and start hinting that fishy things are afoot because clients are leaving, you should at least mention where you've seen that. The purpose of this thread is to help writers research this agent; if you have info it should be shared here, IMO.

I certainly didn't intend for any posts to be deleted, just that the original comment (which was, for the record, something along the lines of "A lot of Caren's clients are leaving her; I wonder why that is?") be backed up instead of left hanging (ICE asked for backup too, and was told she'd been sent a PM, which is why I said the evidence should be put here). I was just expressing an opinion that as it was, it wasn't helpful and could leave a bad taste in people's mouths for no reason; we haven't seen any evidence to decide whether or not the comment was true.
    Last edited by Stacia Kane; 04-05-2008 at 03:35 PM.

Caren may still be looking for Urban Fantasy--if it grabs her enough.

I say this because a few days back, I queried her about my YA UF series, and she responded within ten minutes, asking for a 100 page partial. Upon my sending it to her, she replied almost immediately, requesting a one week exclusive to review it. If this is any indication on how prompt and friendly she is to work with, I am praying she likes my work--well, I'm praying regardless, but you know what I mean. She expressed excitement over the concept, and this kind of a reaction is always so encouraging... until the endorphins wear off and you revert to wondering if they'll like what you've sent.

I should also mention you guys are fantastic. For the month I've been shopping my book around, I've referred to this forum more than I can believe. Many of you are so passionate and knowledgable; it's a great community and helps all of us shy lurkers. And it's so exciting reading about the partials and fulls you all have with various agents! Nothing like vicarious living!

So thank you!

Halfway between here and there Maui Author's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barber View Post
    Caren may still be looking for Urban Fantasy--if it grabs her enough.

I say this because a few days back, I queried her about my YA UF series, and she responded within ten minutes, asking for a 100 page partial. Upon my sending it to her, she replied almost immediately, requesting a one week exclusive to review it.
    Wow, that's awesome! She's had my partial for 3 weeks now, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who donít want something badly enough. They are there to keep out the other people.
    - Randy Pausch

LOL, so what you're saying is, don't expect her to get back to me in a week? Which is fine with me; I wasn't even expecting her to be that fast with it.

How do you handle the pressure? She's had your partial for three weeks--that must feel like a year! Did she say how long she'd be with it? I'm not being nosy; I'm just trying to get a feel for expectations. Thanks, Maui!

LOL, so what you're saying is, don't expect her to get back to me in a week? Which is fine with me; I wasn't even expecting her to be that fast with it.

How do you handle the pressure? She's had your partial for three weeks--that must feel like a year! Did she say how long she'd be with it? I'm not being nosy; I'm just trying to get a feel for expectations. Thanks, Maui!
    Gird yourself, Barber! I've had an agent respond to my partial in 3 days and I have one that's been in an agent's hands for 5 months now. Both are "normal" depending on the agent, and where the particular agent is in his or her reading stack when your pages hit.

You may hear back very soon but don't consider it to be a bad sign if you don't. This is a brutal business for the impatient (trust me!).

Welcome and congratulations on the great response. Caryn Johnson is a great agent!
    Moral of the story: Soy yogurt is evil and don't cross picketlines. -Twizzle

Halfway between here and there Maui Author's Avatar

Since she did ask you for a week exclusive (which is awesome by the way) she might get back to you sooner.

As for the waiting pressure - all part of the writing game. I've had a full out for over a month now and I only try and think about it (and a few partials) when I check my e-mail first thing in the AM. After that, I try to put them out of my mind and work on my WIP. Of course "try" and "doing" are two different things, lol.
    Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who donít want something badly enough. They are there to keep out the other people.
    - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Maui Author View Post
    I try to put them out of my mind and work on my WIP. Of course "try" and "doing" are two different things.
    LOL--word!

Thanks (Maui and Giant Baby) for giving me an idea of what to expect. Even though it's scary as hell, there's a lot of fun behind submitting, too.

Would you say it's common to mention in your query that it's a multiple submission? Could that be why she asked for a one week exclusivity? Sorry if I'm full of stupid questions; I guess I'm trying to suss out why I got that positive response...

Honey Badger don't give a shit. Blondchen's Avatar

New Agent at CJLA

POSSESS (Balzer + Bray, on sale now)
    TEN (Balzer + Bray, on sale now)
    3:59 (Balzer + Bray, September 17, 2013)
    GET EVEN (Don't Get Mad, Book 1, Balzer + Bray, Fall 2014)
    GET DIRTY (Don't Get Mad, Book 2, Balzer + Bray, Fall 2015)

Website ~ Blog ~ Twitter ~ Goodreads

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Here's the specific entry welcoming Rachel Downes, with bio info.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Sounds like she gets back to queries pretty quickly? *Sigh*
    "Without the bitter, baby, the sweet just ain't as sweet."

Current WIP: 2k / 80k written
    Short Stories Out: 2

Youtube - Twitter - Blog -
    Facebook

practical experience, FTW
    I think she is pretty quick. I heard back in less than a week.

She's wicked-fast. Both times I've queried her (long story), she's gotten back to me within a couple hours, both times with a positive response.

This time around, I'm trying to not even think about it....

I know there are several AW's out there with partials to Caren. Has anyone heard back recently or done the nudge? Mine's been out the 8 weeks she mentions in her email.

She requested a partial of mine in January. Two weeks later, she requested the full.

She sounded so friendly and sweet in her emails too.

I nudged her for a status query at the end of March and didn't hear anything until last week, when she sent a response to the nudge, which looked like a form query rejection.

To say I was annoyed is an understatement. Somehow, I get the impression that she doesn't like to be nudged.
    Short Story Pubs

Rock 'em Sock 'em in Abyss & Apex
    Little Knife Houses forthcoming in Shock Totem
    Carnival of Stone forthcoming in Newmyths.com
    Between forthcoming in Bards & Sages Quarterly

Quote Originally Posted by jgold View Post
    She requested a partial of mine in January. Two weeks later, she requested the full.

She sounded so friendly and sweet in her emails too.

I nudged her for a status query at the end of March and didn't hear anything until last week, when she sent a response to the nudge, which looked like a form query rejection.

To say I was annoyed is an understatement. Somehow, I get the impression that she doesn't like to be nudged.
    *puts her nudge back in its holster*

Thanks!

Page 1 of 15 123456711 ... LastLast