• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Caroline Sheldon Literary Agency

Anjulee

Registered
Reaction score
:Shrug:

I queried this agent and she requested material.

I was just wondering if Absolute only deals with american agencies. If not, this agency is located in the uk and I would like to know if anyone has had any dealings with them before I submit the material. Their website is:

http://www.carolinesheldon.co.uk

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Caroline Sheldon is lovely. I subbed to her at the beginning of the year and got a personal letter back from her saying how much she liked it but also going on to explain why rhyming picture books are such a hard sell - I really appreciated her time on the matter.

I think she used to represent Harry Horse - his books are located everywhere - but he died a year or so ago.

Anyhow she is legit and a very nice person to boot.

Good luck!

Anjulee

Registered
Reaction score
Dollywagon,

Thank you so much for the information. She sounds wonderful. I submitted the requested material.

Thank you so much :)

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com
Did the email to her go through? I sent her a query last month, using the address on litmatch (which was the same on her website), and it bounced back to me as undeliverable...

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, anjulee. Caroline is known for being a nice person.

abctriplets, I know someone who sent sample chapters as an attached file. Apparently, the email arrived but the attachment wasn't logged, so she had to re-send. Maybe you should try again.

abctriplets

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abctriplets.blogspot.com
Good luck, anjulee. Caroline is known for being a nice person.

abctriplets, I know someone who sent sample chapters as an attached file. Apparently, the email arrived but the attachment wasn't logged, so she had to re-send. Maybe you should try again.

Hey Lori! Thanks for directing me here.

And yes, I did send it with an attachment (should I not?), but I don't think the email ever got there. I got a MAILER-DAEMON return, stating the message was undeliverable because there were "No MX or A records for carolinesheldon.co.uk"

Maybe I should just try it again. :)

Vermilion

Sleepless in Asia
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone dealt with this agency lately? Submission guideline requires three sample chapters, do we send by attachment or just paste it in the body of the e-mail? Thanks.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
It would be worth e-mailing the agency to ask this then posting the answer here.
In the agency guidelines they do suggest unpublished authors will do better to send snail mail chapters and they will reply by e-mail to overseas submitters.

Vermilion

Sleepless in Asia
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm aware of that, but I prefer submitting by e-mail since it's much more convenient for me. I've sent a query plus attachment of the first three chapters. I'll update if I hear from them.

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomalanbrosz.wordpress.com
Anyone dealt with this agency lately? Submission guideline requires three sample chapters, do we send by attachment or just paste it in the body of the e-mail? Thanks.

Most agencies have a lot of shields up on their e-mail systems. In general, unless an agent very specifically tells you to put something as an attachment to an e-mail, it's not a good idea.

Many agents ask for pages or a synopsis appended to the end of an e-mail query. Since their web page is unclear on this, it might be safest to use this method.

Myself, I'm going to cough up the cash and mail it, even though it's to London. I noted on their website that they prefer responding to even hard copy overseas submissions by e-mail instead of using postal coupons.

MrsG

Registered
Reaction score
I just emailed her with 3 chapters attached and so far, no MAILER-DAEMON message, so maybe it was just one of those cyber glitches with no explanation...

Deep Woods Writer

Registered
Reaction score
Deep in the Maine woods. Even a GPS has trouble fi
10 Pet Hate list

Not to be a real P-I-T-A but I just took a look at Ms. Sheldon's homepage. Before anyone gets so wrapped up in all of the 'hoo-rahh' of her fan club I seriously suggest that before you send or submit that you read her '10 pet hate's' listing. I'm glad I did. You are going to save your a lot of wasted time and aggravation.

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
Not to be a real P-I-T-A but I just took a look at Ms. Sheldon's homepage. Before anyone gets so wrapped up in all of the 'hoo-rahh' of her fan club I seriously suggest that before you send or submit that you read her '10 pet hate's' listing. I'm glad I did. You are going to save your a lot of wasted time and aggravation.

Huh?
I went and looked at this list and I am not understanding your comments. What, in particular, do you have issue with? All ten things seem reasonable to me. In fact, from what I've learned most agents get aggravated with or have issues with the things on that list.

MJRevell

www.mikerevell.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mikerevell.com
Just thought it's worth updating this. They now only accept email submissions when it comes to new authors.

psymun

Registered
Reaction score
I sent an e-mail query today, so if anyone else is waiting on this agency, let me know if you hear back ^-^

Harry Douthwaite

Travel Videographer Extraordinaire!
Registered
In Time Out for My Sins
Reaction score
I sent them an e-mail query on February 6th, and received a small, but polite rejection email just this morning.

Boovis

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted an "application" with 3 chapters, synopsis etc etc earlier this week. I'll let you know what happens...

Animad345

Registered
Reaction score
I sumitted a few days ago. Fingers crossed.

Harry Douthwaite

Travel Videographer Extraordinaire!
Registered
In Time Out for My Sins
Reaction score
Just submitted a short story for their consideration today, fingers crossed here too. :)

Cel_Fleur

Braving the query mountains
Registered
Reaction score
Any recent interactions with this agency? I subbed to them years ago when my MS wasn't ready - and despite how bad it must have been (! xD), I still got a personal rejection back. I know they imply they take most commercial genres, but I'm wary to submit my Fantasy, since, judging by their authors, they don't rep much Fantasy, let alone New Adult/Adult stuff.
Anyway, just a thought. :)