When low on creativity...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildcatter67

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes, I get stuck because I can't write well enough to tell the story that is bubbling out of me. I need to identify what it is I need to learn and get help.

Sometimes, I get stuck because I don't understand enough about psychology to be able to write my very psychological story.

Research, reading and asking questions is what I need to do. It's my pathetic lack of skills and knowledge that are my problem.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Well I come here of course!

Also I lay on the sofa and daydream the scene in my head ( preferably with some of the character's signature songs playing in the background, or a good bit of metal for a fight scene)

Read a 'how to' book if I feel I'm not getting the tone/description right

Having a chat with my kids sometimes helps too - they come out with some really oddball mental images that kick start my imagination.

If that doesn't work, I just write anyway and see what comes out. That usually does the trick, even if I delete that part later, it gets me going. Although I did do that once and killed a secondary MC quite unintentionally - I got so into the story I didn't realise what I'd done till later! By then, it was too late, he was toast.

SageFury

Overcoming the Darkness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.radicaldreams.com
What do you do when the writing just isn't flowing, but you're determined not to walk away from your computer/typewriter/notebook/stone tablet/stale matzo board and cheese whiz without writing something new?

The most common thing I hear is going for a walk; I personally like going to Borders and getting a truly hedonistic cup of "coffee" at the café (or making myself the closest thing possible at home). For some reason, that always gets me unstuck.

I play video games like unreal or mmorpgs.

Games require focus which helps clear the mind after an hour then my mind is ready to go and write again... although now getting off the game is the hard part ~_~ I try to play frustrating games generally so i reach the point where i can happily say bye to the evil game, lol

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Watch some of a movie or read some of a book with the same feeling as my scene, soak in a hot bath till I'm about to pass out. Go for a drive.

Playing violin really helps me, actually, probably because it involves so much of the brain. When I practice for an hour and come back to my writing, my fingers just fly over the keyboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.