plot point 1

avid-dreamer

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I hope you guys aren't getting irritated with my silly questions.:D
I'm not a screen writer. Novels are my thing, but I'm trying this for the first time.

Ok, silly request:

I am studying the first National Treasure movie and trying to separate it into acts. Having trouble identifying where the plot point 1 begins.

Here is my guess:

ACT 1:

-inciting incident:
N. Cage and his associate steal The Declaration of Independence.

-Plot point 1:
They go to his father's house and the map is revealed, but the police is on his trail.

Ok,
please tell me if I am correct or if I am spewing rubbish.

Thanks.:)

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
I think you're running a bit late there. I've only seen the film once but I'm pretty sure a lot of stuff happens before they steal the Declaration of Independence.

The inciting incident of Act 1 is a catalyst that takes place, usually around page 10-15 that gets the story moving. In this case and, again, it's been ages since I've seen it, but I would say the inciting incident is when Nic Cage's character is betrayed on that frozen shipwreck. This is the incident that propels him on the rest of the journey.

The stealing of the document comes much later in the film and is probably the end of act 1 though, again, I'm not sure at what page/time it comes in the film.

As to plot point 1, I'm afraid I'm not keen on that notion (what isn't plot in a screenplay?) and so I'm not sure what it may refer to here but I think that about the time that the document switches hands would be getting there - if the idea is that the script reveals something new that twists the story. I think that comes just after the moment you described although, thinking about it, that could easily be some sort of midpoint as well.

What model are you following here? Maybe that would help.

avid-dreamer

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I'm using a book by Christopher Keane. His three act structure begins as follows:

ACT 1: pages 1-30

- Inciting incident: pages 10-15 - "hurled into chaos"

- Plot point 1: around pages 20-25 - "story is yanked into other direct"

I was pondering whether or not that initial scene in the snow was the inciting incident, but because it's the first time we see Cage as an adult I guessed it was not.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Ah right, OK then. But you see how the stealing of the declaration can't be the inciting incident because it happens for too late for that model? I think the betrayal by Sean Bean's character is almost certainly that moment because; it's unexpected, it forces the Nic Cage character onto a path he wasn't anticipating and it changes everything that comes after it. As your model says, "hurled into chaos." Everything before this moment was quite peachy.

Plot point 1? Well, I'm a bit fuzzy but it could be the moment in which Dr. Chase is kidnapped by Ian believing she has the real document because as your model says, it yanks the story into another direction. I can't be sure but the thing to bare in mind is that act breaks and these markers for structure typically centre around plot twists and moments of change. Simply stealing the document isn't something unexpected or new, it's what the characters are trying to achieve. Dr Chase being kidnapped by Sean Bean is unexpected and accelerates the story in a new direction.

But again, very fuzzy on this film regarding when things happen so there may be alternative theories.

avid-dreamer

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh...I see the light now. Odd the way you made it all sound so simple. Thanks for the help!:)

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
You're welcome. I don't know if you have a copy of the script or the film but I'd compare your model's theories against the page count or run time. It probably won't match up perfectly but it should be in the ballpark. And if you're not sure about a potential match, ask yourself whether or not what you're considering is a key moment of twist or unexpected change.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Avid Dreamer,

Try checking out the original Star Wars script. Unlike National Treasure, Star Wars was nominated for Best Original Screenplay. It hit all the right beats at all the right moments, and it is the quintessential specimen of "The Hero's Journey."

http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Star-Wars-A-New-Hope.html

Do your same exercise of trying (on your own, so NO HINTS FROM OTHER PEOPLE HERE!) to identify the Inciting Incident and then Plot Point 1.

NikeeGoddess

Banned
Reaction score
also - The Fugitive is said to have perfect structure - another good one to study.