• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] The Writer's Collective

Joanclr

The woman in the interview is actually a casual acquaintance of mine from some time back, so I don't think it's a scam or anything of the sort--I know she is very dedicated to her goals and dreams. However, I am curious if anyone knows or has heard anything about the company, its status, results, or anything at all about it?

I'm including a link to an interview with her, and also the link to the actual web site.

www.bigbooksavings.com/pr...uest16.htm

www.writerscollective.org/

MacAl Stone

Re: Has anyone heard of The Writer's Collective?

Ahh! I was about to post that very link, Cao--you beat me to it.

Mac

CaoPaux

:grin

Great minds, etc., etc. Are you a regular reader of ML? I am, but I haven't found the courage to join in yet.

MacAl Stone

I read ML regularly--I content myself with lurking, because usually one of the regular commenters posts precisely what I would've, only better-articulated:)

I'm a bit of a fan, I confess.

Joanclr

Hmmm, very informative. I appreciate the link, thanks a lot!

MacAl Stone

When you have a little time, joan--look around the whole site. Alot of it's political, but there is also a wealth of writing and publishing information.

The author of the blog has a truly awe-inspiring command of the English language, as do many of the regular posters. . .It almost always makes me shake my head in bemused admiration.

wvonwegen

Any info on Writer's Collective?

Hello,

I'm looking for any and all feedback on The Writers' Collective. Any comments, positive or negetive, would be greatly appreciated.

dblteam

Re: Any info on Writer's Collective?

For some reason, whenever I go to an article on Making Light, I can only read the the first part of what's written. I know there's more to the article, but I don't get a scroll down bar or any way to go on to a second page (unless I'm dense and have simply missed it). Several of Ms. Nielsen Hayden's articles have been referenced from AW and other boards, and I continue to be frustrated in my efforts to read them.

Has anyone else had this problem, and, if so, is there a known cure? I use an up-to-date version of IE (sorry, don't remember the version number), if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Valerie

AnneMarble

Has anyone else had this problem, and, if so, is there a known cure? I use an up-to-date version of IE (sorry, don't remember the version number), if that makes any difference.

I've had the same thing happen, both on my Pentium II and on my new computer. What I've ended up doing is going to the main page of Making Light and viewing it from there. (I'm not sure if that would work for older oneswhere you have to click the archive link.) Then, if I want to see the comments, I click the link for comments from there, and it works -- I can actually see them all. :eek

dblteam

Okay, well, I opened a second browser window, headed over to ML's main page and went about trying to find the article from there.

No luck.

So, I went back to the link from AW in my original browser window, followed that in order to find the date on the article, and lo and behold! I got the whole thing this time.

Maybe the page is just so huge (with replies and all) that it takes time to load and I wasn't patient enough.

Thanks for the quick reply, AnneMarble.

Valerie

James D Macdonald

For some reason, whenever I go to an article on Making Light, I can only read the the first part of what's written.

Three possible cures:

1) Hit your F11 key twice.

2) After it's shown "Loading" for a long time, hit the "back" button on your browser.

3) If you can turn off CSS in your browser for that page (I know you can do this in Opera, not sure about other browsers), do so.

CaoPaux

Sorry, I keep forgetting to warn folks about that little bug...just minimize/maximize your window (F11 twice on IE) and that should take care of it. Happy scrolling! :D

ETA: Yeah, what he said. :)

snarzler

I use Firefox (Mozilla) and have no problems.

Just FYI.

Ralph Robert Moore

IE vs. Firefox

A few months ago I developed the same problem trying to read her posts. I'd get her post, but the comments would be cut off midway. I switched from IE to Firefox, and have never had a problem since. As Theresa herself says, her guests' comments are the best part of her site. It seems like you need Firefox to read them.

Rob

wvonwegen

Thanks CAO,

That's a real eye-opener. Thanks.

P.S.- I got the full page to display correctly on a guest computer with Win 2000 & with my Mac, both with Explorer.

DaveKuzminski

How do you get the head to float?

arainsb123

" I use Firefox (Mozilla) and have no problems."

I do, too, and also have no problems.

I love Firefox :D

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have just asked a zine editor to pull a review of one of TWCs books because a TWC staff member wrote to say I would be committing libel if I refered to the book as self-published and they cannot 'allow' it, and that every mention of 'the Writers' collective' must be marked with a trademark symbol. Frankly I am not longer that worried about whether they are technically a self-publisher (or as Preds&Eds says "vanity"). I won't reprint any of the email because it is private correspondence but I conclude from both its content and tone that this is a company to stay well, well, well away from.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Libel?! ROFL! Do they really believe this crap, or are they just trying to intimidate people, I wonder?

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
Well, I'd _love_ to see them try and prove libel in a court of law. Truthful statements can't generally be used as libel, and I very seriously doubt that they could prove saying so would cause them any particular damages. Business really should read up on basic tort law before they start making stupid accusations.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
The Writers' Collective

Seems like we don't have this one listed in the index, so I'm taking a chance that we don't have a topic for this publisher yet.

Does anyone disagree that this publisher isn't a vanity publisher based on their own information given at http://www.writerscollective.org/faq.htm? The section in particular on that page that I direct your attention to is this:
Let’s examine a few current examples and up front costs. Our authors typically pay an average of $2k-$3k for pre-press charges which include a digital galley run. Add another $10k for a 5000 copy print run (hard cover) and $5k for a publicist, and you’re up to about $18,000, paid out over the year it takes to launch the book. If all 5000 copies sold (and we only take on titles we believe will sell at least that many in the first six to twelve months), the author will net $21,920 after ALL expenses. She will break even after the sale of just 2,260 copies sold. And she will still own all the rights to her book.

The author is paying to be published, right?