I do everything I can to avoid buying Japanese products.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Greenpeace finds Japan's whalers
By ROHAN SULLIVAN, Associated Press Writer Sat Jan 12, 2:25 AM ET

SYDNEY, Australia - A Greenpeace ship on Saturday confronted a Japanese whaling fleet that had initially planned to hunt protected humpbacks, the environmentalists said — setting off the latest round of cat-and-mouse in a sometimes dangerous feature of the hunting debate.
[SIZE=-2]ADVERTISEMENT[/SIZE]
B2653924.5;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;sz=300x250;ord=1200143842214432

Greenpeace's Esperanza found the Japanese whalers in the Antarctic Ocean after a 10-day search, and the hunting ships immediately steamed off with the activists in pursuit, the environmentalists said in a statement.
They warned they would take non-violent action to try to stop the ships from killing whales — a promise that in the past has led to activists in speed boats trying to put themselves between whales and Japanese harpoons, and once to a collision of ships.
Japanese whaling officials were not immediately available to confirm Greenpeace's claims.
Last November, Japan dispatched its whaling fleet to the icy waters of Antarctica to kill about 1,000 whales under a program that Tokyo says is for scientific purposes.
Under pressure from the U.S. and other countries, Japan last month abandoned its plan to include 50 humpback whales in the hunt — what would have been the first major hunt of humpback whales since the 1960s. But it still plans to kill 935 minke whales and 50 fin whales.
Commercial hunts of humpbacks have been banned worldwide since 1966, and commercial whaling overall since 1986.
Japan's whaling fleet is run by a government-backed research institute and operates under an International Whaling Commission clause that allows the killing of whales for scientific purposes. But critics say the program is a shield for Japan to keep its whaling industry alive until it can overturn the 1986 ban. . . .http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080112/ap_on_re_au_an/japan_whaling;_ylt=AgZ6hSEgDn5bQ488VTdqpSYPLBIF

I can't imagine how the Japanese government could sanction this practice in the face of such a strong international, moral effort to protect whales.

I was ready to forgive the Japanese when they finally capitulated to international pressure and prohibited commercial whaling, despite the fact that they were doing it illegally. Then I find out they're still up to the butchery by keeping their government program in place. Shame on the Japanese. Go Greenpeace. . . .

Would you agree? Regardless, is there any reason that you would boycott a nation's products?

Last edited:

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Considering all the bad things that pretty much every government does, boycotting all products from a particular country because they got caught hunting humpbacks (which has been going on for years) is pretty low on my boycott-motivation list.

I'd give much more of a crap if they were killing humans.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
Considering all the bad things that pretty much every government does, boycotting all products from a particular country because they got caught hunting humpbacks (which has been going on for years) is pretty low on my boycott-motivation list.

I'd give much more of a crap if they were killing humans.

And then there are those of us who believe that a life is a life, regardless of whether its human or not.

Humpbacks and many other species of whale are on the endangered species list. That means that there is a big danger of them going extinct long before this century is over. What Japan's allowing is despicable, since many of the products that come from whales can be manufactured artificially. Thus, there's no excuse.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
HI all,

Even though I'm not much of animal rights freak, I do believe in basic morals and basic math (a theme I stress in pretty much every debate).

If an animal is endangered, then do not hunt it. What should happen is everyone who is complacent, negligent, or directly responsible for hunting an endangered animal should not only be fined, but forced to help "repopulate" said species.

Now enforcing that suggestion may be problematic, but there is international agreement on endangered species and governments have (in some form) agreed to the rules, so it isn't too much of a stretch to get the laws passed in that country so that fines are possible.

as for boycotting, this is a bad time to be an animal. Way too many other global issues going on for us heartless bastards to care enough about Shamu to give up our Playstation 3s.

well, those are my two cents.

Mel...

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sure. I still won't buy French fries.

Really? I thought Fox News lifted the embargo as soon as France got militant. And now that it wants to bomb Iran, why French fries are positively patriotique!!

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
Here in France we eat mostly Canadian McCain's Fries made in Canada...:D

Oops - forgot McDonald's Fries as well.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
One fact that is so often overlooked is that whale is delicious.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
And then there are those of us who believe that a life is a life, regardless of whether its human or not.

Humpbacks and many other species of whale are on the endangered species list.
But remember - Humpback whales are NOT being hunted by this project, so the fact that they are endangerd is irrelevant.

If we truly believe that 'a life is a life' then surely is it morally better to kill ONE life to get 20 tonnes of meat (by killing a whale) than to kill 10 thousand lives to get the same amount of meat (by killing chickens).

A quick check seems to show that both the Sperm & the Minke whales are NOT classified as 'endangered'. (The Fin whale is)

If the Japanese agreed not to hunt the endangered Fin whale, but to only hunt the Sperm & Minke whales, would all of the people on this thread who are after protecting endangered species drop their objections?

It is ironic that some other species that humans are actively TRYING to kill might be more endangered, but nobody cares.

For example, it seems possible that some species of human pubic lice may be endangered. Why is nobody trying to save their habitats and protest against individuals who try and destroy them?

Mac

Last edited:

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But remember - Humpback whales are NOT being hunted by this project, so the fact that they are endangerd is irrelevant.

If we truly believe that 'a life is a life' then is it morally better to kill ONE life to get 20 tonnes of meat (by killing a whale) or to kill 10 thousand lives to get the same amount of meat (by killing chickens).

A quick check seems to show that both the Sperm & the Minke whales are NOT classified as 'endangered'. (The Fin whale is)

If the Japanese agreed not to hunt the endangered Fin whale, but to only hunt the Sperm & Minke whales, would all of the people on this thread who are after protecting endangered species drop their objections?

Mac

Whales at risk again from Japanese hunting, say international researchers
26 May 2005

Proposed Japanese “scientific” whaling will threaten the recovery of whales in the South Pacific, say leading international researchers.

Japan plans to ask the International Whaling Commission (IWC) meeting in Korea in June to double its kill of about 440 minke whales a year for “scientific purposes” and add humpback and fin whales to the list. The proposed hunt is expected to take place in Antarctic waters south of Australia, New Zealand and other South Pacific island nations.http://www.auckland.ac.nz/uoa/about/news/articles/2005/05/0014.cfm

Killing for the sake of killing is immoral. That's how I see it. Japan is well able to feed itself without destroying - with appalling cruelty - a highly valued, highly intelligent and threatened creature. This article is dated 2005, but it demonstrates how persistent and ruthless the Japanese have been in pursuing whales despite international outcry.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
26 May 2005

Japan plans to ask the International Whaling Commission (IWC) meeting in Korea in June to double its kill of about 440 minke whales a year for “scientific purposes” and add humpback and fin whales to the list.
Didn't the '2005' reference give a hint that this is OUT OF DATE ?

Humpbacks are **NOT** being hunted by the present hunt.

Killing for the sake of killing is immoral?
Why attack the Japanese over this - do you know how many people FISH for a hobby? That is the worst case of killing for the sake of killing.

As you point out, the Japanese can survive without the meat, as can hobby fishermen survive without the fish meat.

It we truly believe that killing for the sake of killing, then picket your local weekend fishing enthusiasts first.

Mac

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Humpbacks are **NOT** being hunted by the present hunt.

Killing for the sake of killing is immoral?
Why attack the Japanese over this - do you know how many people FISH for a hobby? That is the worst case of killing for the sake of killing.

As you point out, the Japanese can survive without the meat, as can hobby fishermen survive without the fish meat.

It we truly believe that killing for the sake of killing, then picket your local weekend fishing enthusiasts first.

Mac

Mac, whales aren't fish. NOT fish. Understand? They're mammals. They're highly intelligent; they have large brains. They suffer like you would.

Why should we perpetuate barbarism? Does anybody have an answer for that?

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score

Facts, facts, facts. All you got is facts.

This is emotional, damn it. They are murdering whales and clubbing baby seals and the polar bear cubs are all dying because of global warming, you insensitive baboon!

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Mac, whales aren't fish. NOT fish. Understand? They're mammals. They're highly intelligent; they have large brains. They suffer like you would.

Why should we perpetuate barbarism? Does anybody have an answer for that?

Translation: Fish aren't as cute as whales, thus not as easy to ridiculously anthropomorphize for the sake of championing a hollow cause.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Translation: Fish aren't as cute as whales, thus not as easy to ridiculously anthropomorphize for the sake of championing a hollow cause.

Translation: you have no idea what you're talking about as usual.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Translation: you have no idea what you're talking about as usual.

Translation: Spork's an insensitive baboon, too. Fish are people, too! Unite, fish of the world, and stand up against the opressive insensitive baboons!

(I really need that sarcasm font, how do I get it?)

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(I really need that sarcasm font, how do I get it?)

By going to graduate school.

Or becoming enlightened.

Or. . .

by watching the teleprompter.

Oh. And as they're terrified of writers like Spork, the strike will end soon, with the writers amply paid.

Joe, did you know that whales were mammals?

Last edited:

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
I'm not liking the direction some of these comments are headed. State your position or refute a position, but let's not start insulting each other over opinions. You're entitled to them and other folk are entitled to their own.

ETA: I'm ok, btw, with folk ribbing each other in a friendly fashion. I just don't want to see this get ugly.

Last edited:

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
ETA: I'm ok, btw, with folk ribbing each other in a friendly fashion. I just don't want to see this get ugly.

Ugly? Have you ever seen a baboon? How can it get any uglier than that?

Well, I guess I could post pics of me in my 'Britney Spears at the Palms' Halloween costume. Now that'll make you wash your eyes out with bleach.