• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

KT Literary, LLC (Kate Schafer)

K-Mark

Philly Phanatic
Registered
Reaction score
No, you are right. KT Public Relations is different from KT Literary.

KT Literary = Kate Schaffer

KT Public Relations = Kae Tienstra

JAG4584

Registered
Reaction score
I queried them by email on 12/3 no response yet bad or good..

caromora

Still alive. Kind of.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkstaind-stars.livejournal.com
Today is KT Literary's first official day of business. So of course I e-queried first thing. :)

There's an interesting interview (linked from the agency's website) with Kate Schafer here that's pretty informative. She seems like she'd be a great person to work with.

Dragon-lady

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
There is a lot to be said for an agent who's also a gamer. :D

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
She seems like she'd be a great person to work with.[/quote]

I'll second that. Unfortunately, my first post at aw is to say that I won't get the chance to find out. E-queried her yesterday for my middle grade novel, Play Ball!, and got a polite rejection today.

tim

RedandWolf

Registered
Reaction score
Sent out a query to Ms. Schafer a week or two ago, and got a response today asking for the first five chapters of my young adult fantasy novel. So far I'm pleased, both at the interest, and the promptness with which she responded.

And as someone else said, there's a lot to be said for an agent who's a gamer, lol.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
The background story of why she moved to Denver is on mediabistro: http://mediabistro.com/galleycat/

When literary agent Kate Schafer was hanging out in the online community for the game City of Heroes, she came across another player who was writing short stories about the characters he was playing and contacted him to see if he might have a novel. He did, and she read it on her first flight out to Denver to meet him and some of their other online friends, but, she laughingly recalls, "I told him I preferred to date him rather than represent him." (Not that there was anything wrong with the manuscript, which is about to be sent out by another agent; it's just geared towards an older audience than the YA books she was handling.) Now, after a year's engagement, Schafer and Doyce Testerman are getting married in April, and she's moving out to Colorado—which means she's leaving her position at Janklow & Nesbit and setting up shop on her own as KT Literary.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She's very nice and prompt. She read a partial and ultimately passed but she only took a couple of weeks and gave great feedback.

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely. I'll ditto Soccermom and say she is very nice and professional, and so far, very prompt.

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
I"m thinking of querying her once my letter is nicely polished. As soon as I read that she is a Joss Whedon fan, I knew she was my dream agent.

Ugawa

It's a catastrophic success!
Registered
Reaction score
I tried sending her a query, but when i press send it says 'incoming mail (POP3 or IMAP).

My eyes glazed over, and i'm like... huh?...

Am i able to copy and paste her email address and just send it from my email account, instead of using her 'email me' link?

Thank you

X

kathleen_grant

Carpe Diem
Registered
Reaction score
I tried sending her a query, but when i press send it says 'incoming mail (POP3 or IMAP).

My eyes glazed over, and i'm like... huh?...

Am i able to copy and paste her email address and just send it from my email account, instead of using her 'email me' link?

Thank you

X

Ugawa--You can surely do that! :)

Ugawa

It's a catastrophic success!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you ^^.

I thought I had to send it to her from the email box it gives you when you click 'email me'

Thank you :)

XX

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Kate Scafer Testerman is live-blogging her queries

She's posting one or two lines on the queries she's received since Jan 5 and her decision to pass or request more.

Fun and informative. Click here to read along.

(Hope this is the appropriate place for this.)

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Wow, that's interesting. Thanks for the heads-up. One of those is mine, but of the 2 or 3 I think it could be, the comment wasn't horrible!

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
One of those is mine, but of the 2 or 3 I think it could be, the comment wasn't horrible!

That's good (not the rejection but that the comment wasn't horrible). When I saw her blog entry, I was torn between being disappointed that I'll only be ready to query her at the end of the month and grateful.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
That's fascinating. It certainly underscores the importance of doing research on what agents actually represent, too!