• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

AAR / Assoc. of Author's Representatives / AAR-online.org

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
It is the right URL. I tried accessing it a couple of days ago and it wouldn't load at all--not even the placeholder page that's now there. I'm thinking it's probably a temporary glitch.

- Victoria

scarletfox

Registered
Reaction score
hey guys:

ever since the aar website came back up, I haven't been able to look at the list of agents, i've been signing in as a guest, but it keeps telling me that I don't have permission to view the page! Do you guys know what I'm doing wrong?

thanks!

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
From what I can tell, they've changed servers and maybe all their data files haven't been converted properly.

I would give it 'till the end of the week and then email/E-mail the webmaster with specifics.

Kree Atv Khurz

Registered
Reaction score
The Assn. of Authors' Representatives website was not working recently, and still may not. Anyone know why? I'm a newbie, but I thought they were the main association for ethical literary agents. Thanks, Kree

Luna

Registered
Reaction score
AAR member agents/no fees?

Hi, all;

I hope this is the proper place for this question.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but my understanding of the AAR is that they accept agencies for membership if the agent does not charge up-front fees. Is this accurate so far?

The reason I'm asking: this month's "Markets" section of Writer's Digest lists the Linda Konnor Literary Agency, AAR member, representing non-fiction. The firm's contact info (no website, just snail mail & e-mail) is followed by "...Charges $85 one-time fee for domestic expenses; additional expenses may be incurred for foreign sales."

Is AAR membership still available to fee-charging agents if they call it something other than a reading fee? Can anyone provide any info about how the AAR qualifies agents for membership?

I'm not querying non-fiction agents, but I am curious as to how this all works.

Thanks, everyone.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I believe the AAR words the restriction as no "reading" fees. Charging upfront fees for "expenses" such as postage is technically allowed, but is still a questionable practice as such expenses are more properly capitalized under the cost of doing business or, at the very least, taken out of the advance after the book is sold.

The bottom line is really if the agent in question has a solid track record.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Luna said:
Hi, all;

I hope this is the proper place for this question.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but my understanding of the AAR is that they accept agencies for membership if the agent does not charge up-front fees. Is this accurate so far?

The reason I'm asking: this month's "Markets" section of Writer's Digest lists the Linda Konnor Literary Agency, AAR member, representing non-fiction. The firm's contact info (no website, just snail mail & e-mail) is followed by "...Charges $85 one-time fee for domestic expenses; additional expenses may be incurred for foreign sales."

Is AAR membership still available to fee-charging agents if they call it something other than a reading fee? Can anyone provide any info about how the AAR qualifies agents for membership?

I'm not querying non-fiction agents, but I am curious as to how this all works.

Thanks, everyone.

As I understand it, an agent may charge for mailing, copying, etc. It is customary, however, to charge that off in the advance payment when the book sells. Some agents may charge it up front, but still be AAR members.
It is permissable, but not customary.

Regards,
Scott

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
The real AAR

Is this site the real Association of Authors' Representatives? If so, why is the title bar wrong? (It says "Artists").

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
It is the real site. I suspect that it says Artists because the members rep more than authors--theater, film, etc.--but it is an interesting point.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
AAR

jamiehall said:
Is this site the real Association of Authors' Representatives? If so, why is the title bar wrong? (It says "Artists").

Huh? I don't see the word "artists" used. What am I missing?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
Huh? I don't see the word "artists" used. What am I missing?
It's on the Window title, not on the webpage itself.

I wouldn't even have noticed it.

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
Thanks. I thought I had the right website, but it seemed that it looked different than I remembered and then that title bar error really threw me. I knew that sometimes one website pretends to be another, so I decided that people here would know for sure. Thank you.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know just enough about webpage coding to understand what might have happened. There's a place in all coding, from "handmade" to templates, where the coder fills in what word(s) will appear as the window's title or name. If the design is being copied from a previous version or a master, then modified, it's easy to overlook the need to change it. Typos and misspellings there are also not unusual and often go uncorrected, since many people never notice them.

Maryn, whose kids used to make scads of web pages

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, the bar's said "Artists'" for as long as I can remember. I expect it's debris from a past merger.

(I hope the revamping's still in progress, cuz the menus are a mess on my browser.)

LordDelusions

folly is such fun
Registered
Reaction score
AAR Members?

Seeing how I'm referring to agents, thought this would be a good place to post:

I read somewhere that agents who are AAR members are more credible in terms of providing writers with the best possible publishers, publicity, etc.?
However, for example, Elizabeth Kaplan agency is not listed as AAR member (according to Agent Query), but someone said that one of her clients got a 6figure advance.
So I would like to know the correlation between AAR and What the author gets.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any evidence that there's a correlation, but one thing to consider is whether or not the agent adheres to the AAR Canon of Ethics.

And since you already queried about her in the appropriate thread, I'm assuming you've read the rest of the posts and got some good information.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
Hasn't it been mentioned here that an agent has to have ten sales before they can join the AAR as part of the membership requirements? That's always a good thing for the writer because it's a proven track record of success.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
It's always worth looking at an agent's track record. A friend of mine is trying to place a non-fiction book and the one agent he got a really good nibble from is not an AAR member but does subscribe to their Canon. He checked out the agency and then sent me a link to their site. They're solid and have a good reputation. They're small, but based on their record of placements it looks like they'd be a good fit for him.

So no, AAR is not the litmus test, but it's a good indicator.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Claiming to subscribe to the AAR Canon, regretfully, doesn't have to mean very much. The Canon excludes reading fees and kickbacks for referrals. It doesn't exclude upfront marketing fees or paid editing fees, which are the two most common bad-agent abuses these days. Plus, the agent could be lying. The Canon isn't a regulatory statute--it's a voluntary standard imposed by a professional trade group upon its members. Outside that group, adherence or non-adherence means very little.

To become an AAR member, an agent must have worked as an agent for at least the past two years, and have made a minimum of 10 commercial sales during the past 18 months. The fact that members have to prove at least some level of competence before they can join is the main reason to give AAR agents priority on your query list (in the UK, the AAA serves a similar function, as does the ALAA in Australia). However, as Jim pointed out, some successful agents choose not to join, and some very competent agents haven't been in business long enough to qualify. As always, the bottom line is track record and experience.

- Victoria

JAG4584

Registered
Reaction score
To become an AAR member, an agent must have worked as an agent for at least the past two years, and have made a minimum of 10 commercial sales during the past 18 months.

What about Authors Guild? Is that even close?