Questions About Agent Request

Hedgetrimmer

What happened, just there?
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, guys. After submitting a query and synopsis of SWEETNESS (picture book version) to an agency, I have been invited to send the full manuscript. In their letter, they ask if it is a simultaneous submission and, if so, what are my plans.

Now, by no means am I trying to hide anything from the agent. I simply want to make sure I handle this correctly and we are of sound understanding. I don't want this go-round to fall apart as did the previous one.

At present, three other agencies have received synopses, but none has responded. I suppose this one is pretty cut-and-dry.

Now, this one may be a little tricky. Two independent publishers currently have the manuscript sitting in their slush. Should I mention these publishers? If so, should I mention them by specific name, just say publishers, or say independent publishers? Conversely, should I wait until representation is offered before bringing the publishers into the picture?

Finally, the agency states that their normal response time is four to six weeks. That seems extremely reasonable to me. However, we all know that this is only an estimated timetable and that weeks do sometimes stretch into months. I have no problem granting them an exclusive for six weeks. Should I actually state this in my letter, just in case I haven't heard anything in that period of time and another agency has requested a looksie, or do I omit the wording but simply grant them a six-week exclusive?

Finally (for real this time), I have heard that some publishers (especially smaller presses) resent having a submission come across their desk by way of author, only later to have an agent jump onto the scene once a contract has been offered. Any suggestions as to how I might handle this, were it to present itself?

I know some of this may seem a bit premature and convoluted, but this agency, like the previous one, is known to be a big player in the game and can really make things happen. I just don't want to muck it up before we even get started.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dreamer3702

a real life cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right response or not, but if it were me... I would tell the agent exactly where the manu is right now. IE which publishers. Unless they've said anything about an exclusive, I wouldn't mention it. If they want it, they'll ask for it. If another agent asks to see your manu on an exclusize basis... call the agent who has it and tell them. They might actually ask for more time and move things along... like accept or deny.

Again this is just from what I've gathered... every agency is different

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Since they asked, I would tell them exactly what you told us. Always best to be upfront and honest, IMHO.

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
Finally (for real this time), I have heard that some publishers (especially smaller presses) resent having a submission come across their desk by way of author, only later to have an agent jump onto the scene once a contract has been offered. Any suggestions as to how I might handle this, were it to present itself?
Don't represent it yourself. It is normal to bring in an agent to get yourself the best deal. Don't think for a second you're hurting anyone's feelings.