• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Clark Nova Books

bluebaloo79

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if they have ever heard of Clark Nova Books? A Canadian book publisher. If you have, do you know where I can find info on this company. I have checked the BBB, P&E and google, but nothing comes back. Any ideas?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
This appears to be the link.

Clark-Nova Books exists as a showcase for the best young literary talent that Canada has to offer. Our purpose is to publish those authors who may be passed over due to their inexperience and not their lack of talent. Clark-Nova Books strives to introduce Canada and the world to the young talent that exists in this country.

If their web page is to be believed, to date they haven't actually published anything.

bluebaloo79

Registered
Reaction score
That's what I was worried about, thank you Mr. McDonald. You ghave never gheard anything about this company; either good or bad?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It appears to be a startup by person-or-persons unknown.

The usual business trajectory of startup publishers, particularly ones who don't already have a lot of industry experience, resembles the glide-path of a brick.

Have faith in yourself and your book. Start at the top and work down. ("The top" consists of publishers who have books you can see with your own eyes on the shelves of physical bookstores.)

bluebaloo79

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, I will do just that. It is very hard for aspiring authors who just want to be published by reputable companies, especially when companies like this respond to your queries and getting your hopes up.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Don't send queries to companies that you've never heard of or that you can't find any information on.

A startup publisher should have enough industry contacts that they can come out of the gate with a list of books by writers you've heard of.

Like agent, "publisher" isn't an entry-level position.

bluebaloo79

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your help, I will be more careful on the publishers I search for online.

Roxy

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
The usual business trajectory of startup publishers, particularly ones who don't already have a lot of industry experience, resembles the glide-path of a brick.

I have no words, so I will use Alexander Pope's instead:

True wit is nature to advantage dress'd;
What oft was thought, but ne'er so well express'd.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Weird, the site's hosted by a tool company. But Pub. Lunch (week of 12/24) gives us a name:
...to Troy Cunningham at Clark-Nova Books, for publication in 2008, by Jeffery McGraw at The August Agency (NA).
No immediate hit on what Mr. Cunningham's industry background might be. (Here's The August Agency's blurb for author J.S.P. Cummins, if anyone's curious.)

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
From their website: Authors must be Canadian, and must be under thirty.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Guess they didn't find any, cuz there's only the three books.