AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Clark Nova Books

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Arrow Clark Nova Books

Can anyone tell me if they have ever heard of Clark Nova Books? A Canadian book publisher. If you have, do you know where I can find info on this company. I have checked the BBB, P&E and google, but nothing comes back. Any ideas?

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    This appears to be the link.

Clark-Nova Books exists as a showcase for the best young literary talent that Canada has to offer. Our purpose is to publish those authors who may be passed over due to their inexperience and not their lack of talent. Clark-Nova Books strives to introduce Canada and the world to the young talent that exists in this country.
    If their web page is to be believed, to date they haven't actually published anything.

That's what I was worried about, thank you Mr. McDonald. You ghave never gheard anything about this company; either good or bad?

It appears to be a startup by person-or-persons unknown.

The usual business trajectory of startup publishers, particularly ones who don't already have a lot of industry experience, resembles the glide-path of a brick.

Have faith in yourself and your book. Start at the top and work down. ("The top" consists of publishers who have books you can see with your own eyes on the shelves of physical bookstores.)

Thank you, I will do just that. It is very hard for aspiring authors who just want to be published by reputable companies, especially when companies like this respond to your queries and getting your hopes up.

Don't send queries to companies that you've never heard of or that you can't find any information on.

A startup publisher should have enough industry contacts that they can come out of the gate with a list of books by writers you've heard of.

Like agent, "publisher" isn't an entry-level position.

Thank you for your help, I will be more careful on the publishers I search for online.

Roxy

Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post

The usual business trajectory of startup publishers, particularly ones who don't already have a lot of industry experience, resembles the glide-path of a brick.

I have no words, so I will use Alexander Pope's instead:

True wit is nature to advantage dress'd;
    What oft was thought, but ne'er so well express'd.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Weird, the site's hosted by a tool company. But Pub. Lunch (week of 12/24) gives us a name:
    ...to Troy Cunningham at Clark-Nova Books, for publication in 2008, by Jeffery McGraw at The August Agency (NA).
    No immediate hit on what Mr. Cunningham's industry background might be. (Here's The August Agency's blurb for author J.S.P. Cummins, if anyone's curious.)
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    And here's our thread on the August Agency.

There's a disturbing lack of information on the Clark-Nova website, IMO.

- Victoria

Updating link: http://www.clarknovabooks.com/index.php

Two books now, the third coming soon.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

From their website: Authors must be Canadian, and must be under thirty.

Find me at
    BookTweeting on Twitter
    for a book review a day, every day!
    JUST LAUNCHED:
    EbookCheapskate,
    where you'll find reviews of
    free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!

Guess they didn't find any, cuz there's only the three books.
    ICAO
    ---------